20" 4:3/1600x1200 Choices

ThanatosGOD

Feb 1, 2006
I've owned the NEC 20WGX2 for few months now and its great, however I've gone through tons of units in order to try (pedantically!) to eliminate any backlight bleeding. Essentially though it's the 16:10 aspect ratio that is frustrating me. Basically I am a gamer and just about only HL2 supports widescreen, everything else requires .ini hacks etc which succeed to varying degrees. Having played many games I've realised that even when hacks work they tend to introduce a degree of instability to the games performance, and on top of that widesceen generally does not improve 'immersion' or anything.

After much consideration I realised that I wanted a 4:3, 1600x1200 screen. The problem is though that the NEC 20WGX2 is absolutely brilliant as a quality LCD and trying to find something that will even match it I assume wil be difficult. I've drawn up a shortlist of contenders below.

DELL
Dell UltraSharp 2007FP 20.1" 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM201U04)/8 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM201U1) panel.

NEC
MultiSync® LCD2070NX 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM201U04) panel

Philips
200P7ES/G 20" 14/8ms GTG S-IPS LG Philips (Unsure about exact specs)
200P6IS/G 20" 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM201U04) panel

Samsung
204T 20.1" 16 ms S-PVA (Samsung LTM201U1) panel

Viewsonic
VP2030b 20" 8 ms (g2g) P-MVA (AUO M201UN02 V5) panel

I realise that the NEC 20WGX2 panel is probably superior to most of these, and there is mix of different panels there. Nevertheless I would really appreciate your advice (particularly xtknight!) on which is the best. I have already budgeted for the models above and simply want the best screen of them; preferably similar in properties to the NEC 20WGX2.

Thanks!

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Originally posted by: ThanatosGOD
Basically I am a gamer and just about only HL2 supports widescreen, everything else requires .ini hacks etc which succeed to varying degrees.

???
:confused:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

That should help a bit. Just because not evergame natively supports WS doesn't mean you throw away your WS monitor.

A lot more games coming out are natively supporting WS and the ini hacks is just a one time thing. It's not like it's THAT much of a hassel to get WS to work.

ThanatosGOD

Feb 1, 2006
I definitely accept what you say wizboy, however there are some games such as hitman contracts which just stretch the image no matter what.