2 years community college transfer such a good option?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: UncleWai
Of course there's exception to every rule
I have a bunch of friends in the community college here, it's the Chinese cluster in the college.

evidences:
They always use old essays from people who took the course previously and turned them in as their own. The instructors don't give a flying fork and give them As. I am talking about English, Geography, and Economic class.

In the syllabus of the math class the instructor stated 90% will get an A.
My friend did a self calculation, he realizes even if he gets a 100% in the final exam, he still won't get an A. But guess what, he got an A.

The CS intro course in community college, as long as your program works and have comments, you get full points. In UW, that's only 50% of the grade, 50% is on internal struture.

Plus a lot of the intro courses in here are curved with a median of 2.8~2.9. The grades just don't stack up right with the community colleges.

To be able to use the grades in the CC to get into engineering programs in UCB, UIUC, it just seems very misleading.

Not all community colleges are created equal. So quit knocking all.

My community college is just as hard, and in some instances harder than the major university nearby. Alot of people think they can co-enroll, and take an "easier" physics or organic chem, any math, etc, most of these people fail or withdraw, once they find out its just as hard, and in the case of organic chem and physics, harder. At my community college, any prof that gives out a bunch of A's ends up getting a talking too. Most science profs give 3-4 As out of all their classes, same with the math profs, those in social science and humanities tend to give more, but its the same way in those areas at universities.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: UncleWai
Of course there's exception to every rule
I have a bunch of friends in the community college here, it's the Chinese cluster in the college.

evidences:
They always use old essays from people who took the course previously and turned them in as their own. The instructors don't give a flying fork and give them As. I am talking about English, Geography, and Economic class.

In the syllabus of the math class the instructor stated 90% will get an A.
My friend did a self calculation, he realizes even if he gets a 100% in the final exam, he still won't get an A. But guess what, he got an A.

The CS intro course in community college, as long as your program works and have comments, you get full points. In UW, that's only 50% of the grade, 50% is on internal struture.

Plus a lot of the intro courses in here are curved with a median of 2.8~2.9. The grades just don't stack up right with the community colleges.

To be able to use the grades in the CC to get into engineering programs in UCB, UIUC, it just seems very misleading.

Then your community college sucks.

My school focuses on critical thinking.

Our physics teacher has a PhD from Duke. Every problem on his test has the question part then the "Explain why this is the answer" part. Sure, you can use the equations, but do you understand why?

So far there are *nine* people signed up for Calc 3. Our tests are comprehensive and long. You do get partial credit, but it's not handed to you.

Chemistry is the hardest. One person in Chemistry 2 has an A. The questions are tricky and often require layers of different ideas from different chapters to answer.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Don't get mad at CC students because you have had bad experiences with 0.00001% of them.

Your classes / CC is the exception to the rule. The reason they're community colleges in the first place is because they're cheap and easy.

Cheap and easy?

$86 per credit hour, and just as difficult as most state university freshmen/sophmore classes.

Turnpike

Oct 30, 2003
I have first hand experience in all this. I went to CC for two years (Highline and Bellevue 1 year each) and then transfered to UW. I did this all in 4 years with taking 2 full summers of credits. I had to take summer courses because I couldn't fit all my pre-dental requirements in with my sociology major reqs. You have no idea how happy I was that I got to spend 2 of those years away from that craptastic "educational insitution" they call UW. Science courses at CC were no doubt easier, but the opportunities to learn is there at CC. In general I appreciated and learned more from my CC profs than the ones at UW. The only regret I have is I wish I transfered to WWU instead or had the money for SU, PLU, Gonzaga or something like them. The reason I majored in sociology was because of a CC prof that inspired me and was the first person to make me seriously interested in majoring in something. I'm in my 3rd year of dental school now, and from what I hear UW is screwing ALOT of people out of their DTA. So if you want to go there, you should probably apply there right away. Even then most people spend 5-6 years at UW trying to graduate because of their rediculous retartedness in departmental coordinations. I had to bend alot of rules and kiss some serious backend to some academic advisors to get done in 4 years. If you go to CC and don't mind going to WWU, WSU, or CWU then go for it. I made a ton of friends at CC, and the students there are WAY more diverse than most 4 years like UW. And there are tons of cuties there too! Do your research on CC and the schools you want to transfer to. Generally speaking big state schools are very picky and its a pain, and smaller private schools are much more accomadating. So talk to academic advisors at the school you want to transfer to (CC advisors are usually worthless though). Study hard and learn.

BlackAdam

Jul 16, 2004
I am also a large fan of community college. I know at Santa Barbara City College, if you go there labeled to transfer and you end with a 2.8 GPA, you are gauranteed acceptance to UCSB. I'm gonna be attending Pierce College this fall. Didn't want to go to CSUN... I want to go where I really want to go.