2 usb 1.1 hubs for 20. UPDATE.. powered ?! Neato!

lzpoof

Jan 20, 2001
Saw an interesting item for filling out larger dollar amount coupons and such:

Twinpack 4port USB hubs

2 4-port usb hubs and 2 6'wires for 20 total. They are also possibly online only.

ALSO:

I saw a targus 4 port hub that was supposedly nonpowered in store for 20. What I did notice though was that it had what appeared to be a socket for hooking up an external power adapter. So it probably could be used as a powered hub with a universal adapter. Even if a USB hub you're looking at doesn't come with an AC adapter, you should definitely check for an AC adapter socket in case you can just use a generic adapter with it.

While these prices may not grab you, nearly all the cheap hubs you find in ads and on ebay are NONpowered versions. Powered name brands can sometimes run 10-20 bucks more than nonpowered.

EDIT: Seems they are powered as they include power adapters.

rajndra

Jan 10, 2002
Seems that they are powered, hence they have power cable included.

I would rather go with USB 2.0 hubs.

lzpoof

Jan 20, 2001
Originally posted by: rajndra
Seems that they are powered, hence they have power cable included.

I would rather go with USB 2.0 hubs.

I was actually gonna go for one but staples didn't have a single 2.0 hub in the store and I was returning something .. so...

EDIT: Now that I think about it... a USB2.0 hub is kinda useless to me. I'm not gonna buy a card ro change my motherboard when I don't even have a use for a single USB2.0 device. You guys are a little too obsessed with usb2.0. As I said on FW, unless you're using an external drive or a scanner , you probably won't even have any use for usb2.0.

LordThing

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001
May want to check again. I just noticed they have them for 16.90 now. May swing down and pick some up.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
I think the $20 may have included s/h charges? I could be wrong, though.

In any case, it looks like a good deal. Maybe I'll have to get in on this deal myself.

Psee

Jul 29, 2002
No comparison between USB 1.1 and 2.0. I use external drives between work and home and the 2.0 version is just as fast as the internal drives. 1.1 is pain to transfer data.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
I guess for devices that can take advantage of the speed, 2.0 may be worth it. My only USB devices are an optical mouse (currently not using due to lack of ports), my PDA and my printer. Speed really isn't a factor on any of those, really, so I don't really need the 2.0 ports. OTOH, if I go with the K7S5a Pro mobo in my next upgrade, 2.0 is standard and it will be a nice plus. But really not needed for anything I have at this time.

ir0nw0lf

Jul 11, 2001
I know that Sam's Club is a member's only club and probably a no-no here mention-wise, but I was there this morning in the store and saw a $29.87 Stratitec combo set of:

1x4-port AC/Bus-powered USB 2.0 hub
1x4-port Bus-powered mini USB 1.1 hub
1x1m (3.3 ft) USB A-B cable
1x3m (9.8 ft) USB A-B cable
1x2.3A AC adapter

Though it was a fair price, I might go back and buy it, I could use the mini 4-port for my laptop. ;)