2 Questions about the Democratic Convention coverage

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
If you just have a modicum of intelligence you should have been able to deduce what was going on. But if you are prejudiced, have expectations you could misinterpret things. I knew what was happening. I'm not very confused. Of course, people like Trump and Fox News are trying to snow you. My best advice is to avoid their propaganda as much as possible.
I watch just to see what the next conservative talking point is, and also how disconnected from reality their viewers must be. It can explain some inexplicable behavior of your fellow Americans.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
What ever Fox tells you.

Really? I didn't know that Fox News would bother to take a look at the voter list the my local poll worker was using to check my ID like I glanced at during the last election. I don't think that my name and my wife's name was supposed to be on there three different times with my past three addresses.

But, hey, you keep watching MSNBC and pretending that everything is A-OK if that makes you feel better.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I watch just to see what the next conservative talking point is, and also how disconnected from reality their viewers must be. It can explain some inexplicable behavior of your fellow Americans.
Well, like the song says, "you've got to know who your enemy is!"

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Watched the final night. That was the best speech I've ever heard from Biden. Will be interested to see if he get a polling bounce in the next few days.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

It does not include viewers who watched the event over streaming platforms or on other networks.

Every year, more and more people are watching online. I watched it on MSN via YoutubeTV this time. Four years ago it was CNN over DISH.

I suspect there will be a similar decline in TV ratings for the RNC as well, and the reason will probably be the same.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Reactions: ivwshane

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Every year, more and more people are watching online. I watched it on MSN via YoutubeTV this time. Four years ago it was CNN over DISH.

I suspect there will be a similar decline in TV ratings for the RNC as well, and the reason will probably be the same.
Yeah, I always watched DNC on TV but this year only day 1. After that, online feed of full coverage. Day one was the stupid NBC coverage and moderators were riffing 1/2 the time. Dumb. And it was only an hour! Only got to see the 2 major speeches, plus Holt and buddy riffing. Sheesh.

Biden was pretty good tonight. He was locked and loaded. 2-3 tiny stutters, no big deal, he got all the major stuff right. Except for a few moments when he could smile he was pretty serious. But these are serious times. They really played up his ability to empathize with people who have suffered loss. Obviously Trump completely lacks that ability.

It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. — Noel Coward, Blithe Spirit

75 days until the big one! Vote... vote early, vote Democratic!

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeJay1952

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
Biden did surprisingly well for holding it together for 25 mins, good for him. These next 75 days are going to be nasty as Trump gets more desperate.

Someone appears to have bought some YouTube bots and commentors because every Biden/DNC speech video is at around 75% downvote, which is not very likely. Many of the comments are complete nonsense too. I don't know why news channels leave voting and comments on in articles or on videos.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Biden should get a bounce on the voting for him instead of voting for him because he’s not Trumpity Dumpity

And yeah how will RNC spin their lower ratings?

But what negative things are Faux news saying about his speech?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
But what negative things are Faux news saying about his speech?
They're saying he didn't address Portland, etc. , China, and that in 47 years in office he's never accomplished any of his visions. (Like he was in control as "Supreme Leader" during those years.)

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
They're saying he didn't address Portland, etc. , China, and that in 47 years in office he's never accomplished any of his visions. (Like he was in control as "Supreme Leader" during those years.)
they did that same shit with hillary, that she was president for the last 30 years and got nothing accomplished

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

same thing has been going on with sports for years now--overall, annual decline from the year previous, for every league. (well, maybe not the NFL because they strictly guard their content)

the youngers tend to watch everything online, and generally highlights after the fact. That especially seems to be the case in the NBA. People just absorb content different now, and 75+ year old systems are completely blind to it.

btw, I didn't watch any of the DNC. I have absolutely zero interest. The problem in this country is beyond obvious at this point, and it has been for nearly 20 years with zero ambiguity.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
same thing has been going on with sports for years now--overall, annual decline from the year previous, for every league. (well, maybe not the NFL because they strictly guard their content)

the youngers tend to watch everything online, and generally highlights after the fact. That especially seems to be the case in the NBA. People just absorb content different now, and 75+ year old systems are completely blind to it.

btw, I didn't watch any of the DNC. I have absolutely zero interest. The problem in this country is beyond obvious at this point, and it has been for nearly 20 years with zero ambiguity.

I didn't watch it to clarify any ambiguities. I watched because I wanted to know how good of a presentation they would make, in terms of political impact. Because I am worried about November, for reasons which are...unambiguous.

Reactions: Muse