2 PC's one internet cable.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sonoma1993

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Montek
Yeah sure, read reviews on toms hardware networking portals.

alot of the guys here on the networking forms know what they are talking about. It good idea to listen to their advice.

Montek

Jun 1, 2007
Originally posted by: JackMDS
Montek at this point after more than a week since your initial post, No miracles going happen.

As an example last week I suggest that you would try the TrendNet Router that was on sale for $4.95

Guess what, now it is back to $39.95

It is time to dive in make a decision and try, and if you end up losing fre $$ it si a tution fee that all of us pay in order to learn.
Dude i am from Europe we dont have newegg here, and i dont believe in rebates...

Originally posted by: sonoma1993

alot of the guys here on the networking forms know what they are talking about. It good idea to listen to their advice.

Cannot agree for now its just their opinion, they did not make tests etc and toms hardware networking reviews had some tests done and they show certain result, i trust them more.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: RaiderJ
Hey, I have another inane networking question for you guys, but forewarned! I will bad-mouth any of your suggestions and complain about the high-quality, yet free, advice. This is of course why I joined AT.

Also, please note I am extremely broke. Although I'm sure something for sale right here in the forums will suit me for under $20 shipped if I were to look, I won't.

I feel like quoting myself.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Montek at this point after more than a week since your initial post, No miracles going happen.

As an example last week I suggest that you would try the TrendNet Router that was on sale for $4.95

It is time to dive in make a decision and try, and if you end up losing fre $$ it si a tution fee that all of us pay in order to learn.
Dude i am from Europe we dont have newegg here, and i dont believe in rebates...

Cannot agree for now its just their opinion, they did not make tests etc and toms hardware networking reviews had some tests done and they show certain result, i trust them more.

then ask on TOMs forums
not Anand's

If you ask questions with the expectation of 1 certain answer that you *want* to hear, you're wasting time wherever you go.

Youve been told by many experienced people what to do. Do something about your network already, and please, stop posting

Montek

Jun 1, 2007
I dont have second pc yet so i free to think what i want to do, and what i want is BEST solution for me, that is backed by some FACTS and can be verified before i get product.

And for me knowing how much advertisment going on around and how much PR compaigns etc that fool you into thinking this product is better etc, i cant just believe someone in who saying THIS is better than THAT without anything to back his words.

Its still unclear why i still arguing, because if you look cheap routers reviews on any site where customer feedback is enabled, you will see like 20+ for each router that has at least some reviews negative reviews that routers drop connections when loaded to heavy,

So right now its i know something negative about cheap routers and all routers in general and you trying to tell me wrong without giving a single prove.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Well, you're simultaneously asking for our opinion, and telling us we are wrong to give it. You sound like a pissy 12 year old.

If you have some super-fancy downloading requirements, but a super-skimpy budget, don't you think something's got to give? A Buffalo router for $40 can provide up to 4096 connections - if that's not enough for two PC's then you're doing something wrong, or you need to adjust things on the software side. BT and other P2P can run just fine WITHOUT a crapload of connections.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
As for negative or Positive reviews. You would find negative reviews concerning every piece of Hardware, so that void that utility of the reviews ratings.

Functionally these reviews only use is to provide some info that at times is not appearing in the data sheet.

Like if I read a review of a Wireless Router and few people mentioned that there is No removable Antenna. I do not care about their opinion but I would Not get a Router without removable Antenna.

On the other hand, if someone claims that his Router keep disconnecting the Downloads, I do not know whether it is the Router, or his system MTU, or his cable, or his ISP, or acting out application on his computer, or whatever. So his story his Not a prove that his specific model is necessarily Bad.

In any case you have two options.

1. Install a second NIC ant try ICS.

2. Use a Router.

Since money seems the problem, go with option 1.
If in the future you decide on a Router you would have to take the loss on buying the NIC, and there is nothing that anyone else can do and help concerning this issue.

If you would like to understand a little more about the issue, may be this can help. May be you should read this and get a starting point. The content of the following links will provide you with a basic tutorial about Sharing Internet; it is short and to the point. Few of the pages were written by me ages ago. You might ignore the prices, and the specific choice of hardware, stick with the principles, they are still the same.

Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing - http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=105

Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? - http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=122

Connection Diagram With Cable/DSL Router: http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001

Instead of asking us networking n00bs, go over to toms then.

Montek

Jun 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
Price - Reliability - Performance

Pick only two.

Reliability - Performance lol what it proves?

Can it be cheap, reliabile and perform well with ICS, but without extra security that i was not asking for?

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
Price - Reliability - Performance

Pick only two.

Reliability - Performance lol what it proves?

Can it be cheap, reliabile and perform well with ICS, but without extra security that i was not asking for?

You can have reliability and performance, but it will cost you.
You can have a low cost and reliable solution, but it won't perform the best.
You can have a low cost and fast solution, but it won't be reliable.

With ICS you're going to give up reliability and some performance. Reliability because if the host PC goes down, so does your guest PC. Performance because all the packets from your guest PC have to go through your host PC. On modern computers it's not a huge deal, but it exists. You're also going to give up some security because your host PC will be visible on the Internet, which is not the case if you use a NAT router.

As many others have said, do it right and get a router. Millions of people aren't using $50 home routers because they don't know any better... it's because it's the best available solution for sharing an Internet connection in a home.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Dude i am from Europe we dont have newegg here, and i dont believe in rebates...[/i]

I guess that since they move Europe to North Carolina, prices are Not as Good as they use to be in NC.

I have the feeling that at this point you are just starting to yank the chain? Because I do not see any more what you are looking for.

Montek

Jun 1, 2007
One question, what cable should i use if i want maximum speed because both my network cards support speed of 1000Mbit/s and cat5e cable only supports at up to 155 Mbit/s, over short distance.
What cable should i use, i dont know what cables exist so give me advice what options i have?

jlazzaro

Golden Member
May 6, 2004
One question, what cable should i use if i want maximum speed because both my network cards support speed of 1000Mbit/s and cat5e cable only supports at up to 155 Mbit/s, over short distance.
What cable should i use, i dont know what cables exist so give me advice what options i have?
cat5e is rated at 100Mbps, but will support 1000Mbps no prob.

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
First off OP, you really need to learn respect. Don't come asking questions and then get all huffy and puffy when good people on this board (such as Jack & Nweaver) actually give you relevant information. Secondly, save yourself a lot of headache and spend about $60 on a good buffalo router that can handle the load of P2P. Take some advice, ICS does not work the way it says it does, never has, never will. The cheapest and best way to do this is with a router. You can buy a cheap $10 router that will behave like a cheap router and cause alot of problems or you can stop being cheap and just spend $60 (if you are downloading P2P and have multiple computers, you can afford $60) and get a buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router, Newegg has plenty of them. Be thankful I'm giving this advice out after the attitude you've had with this.

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004

How about you actually go do some research on this and then *IF* you don't find anything, come back and ask. Ever heard of Google, try it sometime.

Yes, I'm a little ticked at this guy, his attitude with all of this has sucked thus far. He asks for advice, point blankly only wants one answer that suits him the best (the cheapest option that will give the best results) and when he doesn't get that, he gets mad.

Montek

Jun 1, 2007
Originally posted by: kevnich2How about you actually go do some research on this and then *IF* you don't find anything, come back and ask. Ever heard of Google, try it sometime.
Guess what my little friend (now that was being rude, what i did before was not intentionally, i am sorry that you felt that i insulting your friends Jack & Nweaver, but i usually just constate facts and dont insult anyone, i also dont take advice for truth without questioning it and checking all alternative solutions then i make choice, and if someone does not like me or someone else to not belive him, then hes not good at making points...), i used google and it gives alot of answers that cat5 is used for up to 100Mbit/s, so i kind of did not spent my time and start reading if its possible to do 1000Mbit/s with cat 5 because i usually no means no, and thats why i asked what can do 1000 mbps and added that i dont know anything about network cables, cant you see it, or you just looking for reason to insult me?
I've seen much dumber questions here, why dont you answer now to everything with "wwwgoogle.com"? What point of this forum then if not for advice?

nweaver

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: kevnich2How about you actually go do some research on this and then *IF* you don't find anything, come back and ask. Ever heard of Google, try it sometime.
Guess what my little friend (now that was being rude, what i did before was not intentionally, i am sorry that you felt that i insulting your friends Jack & Nweaver, but i usually just constate facts and dont insult anyone, i also dont take advice for truth without questioning it and checking all alternative solutions then i make choice, and if someone does not like me or someone else to not belive him, then hes not good at making points...), i used google and it gives alot of answers that cat5 is used for up to 100Mbit/s, so i kind of did not spent my time and start reading if its possible to do 1000Mbit/s with cat 5 because i usually no means no, and thats why i asked what can do 1000 mbps and added that i dont know anything about network cables, cant you see it, or you just looking for reason to insult me?
I've seen much dumber questions here, why dont you answer now to everything with "wwwgoogle.com"? What point of this forum then if not for advice?

sorry, but you HAVE come off as a jerk in this thread, regardless of how you meant to/thought you did. You ask for our opinion, then yell about how we aren't right, and that's not what you want to do, and we need to back up what we say with facts, blah blah blah. Just not the best way to make friends over here in Networking.

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004

As for your language in the PM you sent me, I suggest just leaving this post and not saying anything else. How's that for "whining".

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I think we should take into consideration that we have here a case of wide cultural barrier and leave it at bay.

DeeKnow

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Btw will someone answer me does ICS eat up alot of resources on host PC?

LOL dude you don't really want advice, do you?
you want someone to answer all your questions, for free, and real quick .... Jeeeeez !

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I think we should take into consideration that we have here a case of wide cultural barrier and leave it at bay.

This is true. Over here, we aren't fools who question people who obviously know what they are talking about. United States FTW.