2 new lcds

LiquidLithium

Jul 15, 2006
Hi guys,

I am looking at purchasing 2 LCDs for my rig. I have narrowed down my selection to the NEC 90GX2 and the Samsung 204B

I am mainly going to be using these for gaming. Which one do you think is best.

Pros of the NEC:
19" 1280x1024 Native
4ms response
OptiClear or whatever (looks glossy and VERY nice colors)

Pros of the Samsung:
20.1" 1600x1200 Native
5ms response

I like both monitors and it is a huge toss up. Both support DVI and come with the cable. I THINK both have a 3 year warranty as well.

My desktop resolution is 1280x1024 right now so I dont really see the need for the 1600x1200 but it is a bigger monitor so thats what hooked me. The NEC fits my resolution and 1280x1024 is a very decent gaming resolution as well.

It is a hard choice. What do you guys think?

BTW I have an x1900xt so im not really worried about high resolution gaming. I have played everything maxed at 1280x1024. I havent tried 1600x1200.

Thanks for any input,

-Lith

LiquidLithium

Jul 15, 2006
Really?

I mean I do like the idea of it but my desktop now is 1280x1024 and I dont see any need for a larger resolution. Also I am getting 2 LCD panels. I have read newegg reviews that say the NEC "black" is a deep black because of the gloss on it.

Its a really tough choice because I like the idea of the dual 20.1" but the NEC seems like it might have a better picture...

Spamdini

May 24, 2004
i just got a 204b and i love it. no ghosting in games, and he adjustability is really good for me seeing as i like to watch stuff from bed. the viewing angles are a little weak, but for the most part if ur not looking at ur screen from obtus angles ull be fine.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I would take the 90GX2 any day because of its coating. If you're mainly looking to play games though, you would be better off getting a single 20WMGX2 instead as games generally don't benefit from dual monitor setups.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
I had the 204b and hated it with a passion, viewing angles were terrible and backlight bleeding had a huge bar across the bottom.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I have the 204B, & it's not very great.

As mentioned, it has terrible viewing angles & as it's a 6-bit TN panel, it's really no better than a normal 19" LCD is, aside from its 1600x1200 resolution.

I just cannot recommend it to anyone.

The NEC though is my favorite 19" LCD out there.

It too is a 6-bit TN panel, but the Opticlear finish turns it into something else :D

LiquidLithium

Jul 15, 2006
CP, I am not planning on playing games with both monitors. The dual monitors are for other things, like school and work where I need more than one. I will probably be getting the 90GX2's now because it is such a good deal.

Anyone else want to comment?

kuya1284

Jul 19, 2006
Originally posted by: LiquidLithium
CP, I am not planning on playing games with both monitors. The dual monitors are for other things, like school and work where I need more than one. I will probably be getting the 90GX2's now because it is such a good deal.

Anyone else want to comment?

What's your work environment like? If you work on an area that's pretty bright, depending on your setup, the NECs may glare and reflect the background light. It also depends on what you're viewing/working on. If you don't plan on using your monitor for presentations or viewing it from various angles, the viewing angles of the Samsung is a non-issue. Either will work fine. Another option you might like is the Samsung 204BF as well. It's a ms faster than the 204B, but has a slightly lower constrast ratio and has a native res of 1280x1024. Also, the NEC isn't 4-way adjustable like the Samsung... but that's a non-issue if you purchase a third-party LCD stand like I did for my 20WMGX2.

cockeyed

Dec 8, 2000
Originally posted by: WaTaGuMp
I had the 204b and hated it with a passion, viewing angles were terrible and backlight bleeding had a huge bar across the bottom.

Ditto! I kept mine for all of one day.

LiquidLithium

Jul 15, 2006
One last bump for any more thoughts/testimonials :D

@kuya

I am purchasing them for my home. I will be working from home during the semeter and my place isnt super bright like an office. I usually keep it moderately dark because glare can be nasty off of a CRT. I suspect that the glare will not be a problem.

gpchess2k

Mar 14, 2006
Dudes Dont be stupid 90GX2 is by far better! :D And resolution isnt EVRYTHING 90GX2 response time is amazing and most companys like Maximum PC rates this the best lcd (19inch) out in the market right now! So bye bye samsung :)

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I have a 204b and love it. There is only minor blacklight bleeding that is completely unnoticeable unless looking at a black screen in a dark room. The viewing angle is a non-issue 99% of the time, since the monitor is so ergonomic you can adjust it so that you are looking straight on comfortably. I will admit that portrait mode is pretty useless, but I had no intention of ever using it anyway. The colors look pretty great to me, I don't notice any banding or artifacts due to only being 6-bit. I am pretty sensitive to ghosting, and I do notice it in most games, but it is not bad, and to me most LCD's are far worse in this regard. Even my viewsonic 922 ghosts noticeably to me, and the 204b is about on par with it I think. I'm sure there are better panels out there that you might like better, but the people saying it is complete trash are way off IMO.