Question 2 monitor setup = random crashing

communistM

Nov 5, 2007
Hello Everybody!

I recently added a second monitor to my setup. Since the upgrade I have been experiencing random crashing. When it crashes the main monitor turns to a solid random color (white, pink, red, blue [not BSOD], green, etc...). The second monitor just goes black. As far as I can tell the system is still "on." The motherboard & video card lights are still on and fans whirring. Neither monitor will give the "no signal" message. I don't know if the system can recover from a crash, because I restart it after ten to fifteen seconds. That being said, once it crashes the system doesn't respond to inputs. Video card drivers & Windows 10 are up to date.

System Specs:

Monitor 1: Acer XZ321QU (2560x1440 @144hz)
Monitor 2: LG 32UN550 (3840 x 2160 @60hz)

both using Display Port with certified cables

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
GPU: Asus Strix Radeon RX Vega 64
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB

The LG panel was the addition to the setup. Didn't have any problems previously. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

knght990

Jun 3, 2006
I searched this issue and came up with the following:

This seems to be a common enough issue with Vega64s running dual monitors. I don't see posted issues where people get crashes running two of the same monitor, only two different monitors or they don't specify their monitors. Some people reduced the number of crashes by removing overclocking software like afterburner and some by turning freesync/g-sync off.

Crashes seem to occur when demand on the GPU is high. There is some speculation to the cause being lack of power to the card, a few people were able to solve their issues using power supplies that offered more stable power output to the video card.
It appears some video cards run dual bios and switching to the standard bios instead of the overclocking version is also helpful.

You could try setting both outputs to the same resolution and refresh rate as well. In your case maybe 2560x1440@60hz.

It doesn't seem to be as much an issue if you run single monitor as you indicated.

communistM

Nov 5, 2007
I searched this issue and came up with the following:

This seems to be a common enough issue with Vega64s running dual monitors. I don't see posted issues where people get crashes running two of the same monitor, only two different monitors or they don't specify their monitors. Some people reduced the number of crashes by removing overclocking software like afterburner and some by turning freesync/g-sync off.

Crashes seem to occur when demand on the GPU is high. There is some speculation to the cause being lack of power to the card, a few people were able to solve their issues using power supplies that offered more stable power output to the video card.
It appears some video cards run dual bios and switching to the standard bios instead of the overclocking version is also helpful.

You could try setting both outputs to the same resolution and refresh rate as well. In your case maybe 2560x1440@60hz.

It doesn't seem to be as much an issue if you run single monitor as you indicated.
Thank you so much for your response. After reading your post I amended my search parameters and found similar results. Unfortunately you are correct that this seems to be a known issue with the Vega series. It also seems to be a long running issue with no resolution in sight. I suppose NAVI is the priority for AMD and Vega in the rear view. I just wanted to post an update for anyone else maybe experiencing this as well and go over some of the suggetions.

I had already disabled Freesync/G-sync and I am not running any over clocking software. So, no dice there.

Anecdotally speaking high demand on the GPU didn't seem to be contributing factor. Most of my crashes occurred while web browsing. I am running a 750 watt power supply (modular) with dedicated cables to the graphics card. I think that would be enough? I have yet to explore the bios switching option.

Setting both panels to 2560x1440 has had the best results. The crashing I described before has stopped. But, the system still does crash, kinda. Now the GPU drivers "crash" instead. I would have to say its about 50/50 if the system recovers from the drivers freezing/crashing. But the rate of the crashing has reduced significantly. Previously i was crashing two to three times a day. Post resolution change it is about once every couple of days.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Doesn't using the iGPU increase the temp on the CPU by 8 to 10 degrees? Never tried this yet.
I never noticed any perceivable effect.

It takes very little GPU to display discord/etc. If the user was playing a 3d game on the second screen maybe, but never used it for that.

Reactions: GrumpyMan

communistM

Nov 5, 2007
The last two Radeon driver updates no longer list this a known issues or fixed issue. Was this fixed in a older driver update? I haven't been able to find any release notes for drivers other than two most recent.