2 microsd cards in one slot?

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Anyone ever seen anything like an adapter, to put 2 microsd cards in a single slot? Surely it wouldnt fit in all devices, but I think something like that would be highly useful.

alaricljs

Golden Member
May 11, 2005
No, and it won't happen. There's too much extra stuff needed to make it possible. The "adapter" would have to be a full blown micro-controller posing itself as a single SD card to the host device and posing as a host device to each of the SD cards inserted. Write operations would be damned near impossible, how do you know which card to write to? Most solutions would probably require that the same 2 cards always be used together and never used apart.

The solution is to avoid devices that don't support a flash format that's not large enough for you. Or wait for your flash format of choice to grow in density.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
If you really must, you can use two microSD readers in two USB slots. They would be seen as two separate drives. But, why?

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Was thinking about for my phone, has a single sd card slot, 32gb cards are expensive, and an adapter would be reusable. Not really many options for expansion

Makaijin

Apr 21, 2010
It's not exactly impossible. Photofast have been making multiple micro SD to single CF and Memory Stick adapters for years. The Sony PSP community have been swearing by the Photofast CR-5400 for a long time. I have a few of these I use in my PSP and a Sony digital camera, and they are amazing.

Last edited:

ssan1987

Sep 6, 2010
actually SD interface allows multiple cards on same wires, but afaik no software outside embedded world supports it.

Makaijin

Apr 21, 2010
That's neato. The PhotoFast 5500x4 actually allows up to four microSDHC cards as a single USB drive. That doesn't help Yuriman though. One option for lower cost storage is to use a flexible SD to microSD adapter.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27001

Yuriman didn't say what exactly he intended to be used for. If its for something like a digital camera personally I wouldn't bother as most cameras are designed so that the card slots are easily accessible. If it's for something like a portable mp3 player then most have internal storage or takes microSD making it physically impossible for a smug fit adapter, and also physically cahllenging to use ribbon cable type adaptors as well.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Yuriman didn't say what exactly he intended to be used for.

That's not exactly correct. He said it was for his phone.

"Was thinking about for my phone, has a single sd card slot, 32gb cards are expensive, and an adapter would be reusable. Not really many options for expansion "

Makaijin

Apr 21, 2010
That's not exactly correct. He said it was for his phone.

"Was thinking about for my phone, has a single sd card slot, 32gb cards are expensive, and an adapter would be reusable. Not really many options for expansion "
Yes you're right. I must've skimmed that particular post for some reason. My bad.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Interesting adapter, $65 vs $90 with 32gb SD vs microSD, and the storage is usually faster too, but there is still a premium over 16gb cards - can pick them up for $15 to 25.

I remember ripping open my old Sandisk mp3 player, it had both an internal microsd card, and an external slot, I wonder if they were both on the same port?

DavenElla

Nov 5, 2016
This discussion turned up in a google search. I don't see here an answer, but I'm looking for one. I have this, and with seven sd-micro adapters it works fine to reproduce in a few minutes on each SDmicro card, but good adapers are hard to find, and the failures can be frustrating. Is there an adapter similar to this, (multiple slots, and separate manual switches for each, but the slots being SDmicro slots:

Looks like the image from my hard drive didn't show up. What I have is: "
7 PORT USB 3.0 HUB High Speed With Power Adapter perhaps this link will capture it: whoops: Looks like I cant enter a link??

I'm using it to produce pre-recorded SDmicro chips for Christian ministry in Mexico. eg: New Testament in an Indian language, or gospel movie or both. I need a similar apparatus that has SDmicro slots, Or failing that, a source of truly reliable usb/SDmicro adapters. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

DavenElla

Nov 5, 2016
Looks like the image from my hard drive didn't show up. What I have is: "
7 PORT USB 3.0 HUB High Speed With Power Adapter perhaps this link will capture it: whoops: Looks like I cant enter a link??

I'm using it to produce pre-recorded SDmicro chips for Christian ministry in Mexico. eg: New Testament in an Indian language, or gospel movie or both. I need a similar apparatus that has SDmicro slots, Or failing that, a source of truly reliable usb/SDmicro adapters. Any suggestions?