2 Israeli Journalists Accused of Espionage by US Forces in Iraq

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Israel has one of, if not the, best intelligence services in the world. They would (and do) spy on us without hesitation if it would further their goals. You can never be too careful, especially in a war.

MemnochtheDevil

Aug 19, 2001
And this would be a surprise why? Of course Israel is going to be monitoring this conflict very closely and trying to obtain as much info as possible. So it wouldn't surprise me if they were spies.

Several reporters have been kicked out of Iraq for reporting accurate positions of US troops they are near or for trying to interfere with an ongoing operation. It boils down to common sense, don't get in the way or provide information that might be useful to the enemy and the army won't kick you out.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Carbonyl
Originally posted by: dahunan
USS Liberty anyone?

Mistakes happen. The Iraqis, when they were our friend 1988', hit a destroyer with two missles and we also did nothing at the time.

Mistakes do happen, but of all our allies, Israel seems to get busted for this sort of thing the most. And since few of the really knowledgeable people think that the Israeli intel services are incompetent, I would conclude that they spy on us a lot more than any other "ally".

LocutusX

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Was it ever conclusively proven that the USS Liberty incident was really just an "accident"?

That web site you've linked to doesn't seem to think so.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
USS Liberty anyone?

That was an interesting read. I think I would come to the conclusion, based purely on what is presented on that site that the Israeli pilots that were attacking knew it to be an American ship but that their commanders assumed it was the egyptians running up the US flag. I mean the Israeli's were at war, when a country is at war allies are occasionaly attacked. It was only a year ago or so when a couple of US fighters attacked a bunch of Canadians in Afghanistan after all.

Originally posted by: LocutusX
Was it ever conclusively proven that the USS Liberty incident was really just an "accident"?

That web site you've linked to doesn't seem to think so.

ask the servicemen aboard the ship at the time. When they interviewed them, they didnt think it was an "accident." The USS Liberty is just another reason why I think we should stop supporting isreal and pull out of there.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Kenazo
USS Liberty anyone?

That was an interesting read. I think I would come to the conclusion, based purely on what is presented on that site that the Israeli pilots that were attacking knew it to be an American ship but that their commanders assumed it was the egyptians running up the US flag. I mean the Israeli's were at war, when a country is at war allies are occasionaly attacked. It was only a year ago or so when a couple of US fighters attacked a bunch of Canadians in Afghanistan after all.

I do understand what you are proposing... but imagine USA 1967 and what color/race do you think the men were on the ship?

I haven't seen many Egyptians that could be mistaken for white skinned people.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Kenazo
USS Liberty anyone?

I do understand what you are proposing... but imagine USA 1967 and what color/race do you think the men were on the ship?

I haven't seen many Egyptians that could be mistaken for white skinned people.

Nice point. I hadn't thought about that. BTW, I first heard about the Liberty attack from the History Channel. Those interested may want to try to find the documentary.