2 Camera Settings: Resolution and Image Quality

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
I have 3 digicams that I actively use, a Minolta, Canon and a Nikon.

I always set the resolution setting at its default highest. If its a 5MP then I'll set it at its max resolution to take advantage of the 5MP processor.

Now all three of them have feature to adjust Image Quality: Superfine, Fine, Standard, Economy.

From all the pictures that I took the past two years I could never discern the photo quality from going standard to fine. Color saturation, sharpness, and overall image artifacts seems to be about the same. It seems that the difference in compression does not make a difference to me visually.

If I don't plan on printing larger than 4x6 and overall quality is about the same to my eyes, is there really a reason to use superfine or fine instead of just standard setting on image quality? (while maintaining highest resolution possible on the camera).
Or should i always use the highest image quality (superfine) and manually select resolution as appropriate to what print size I want?

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
The quality will show up once you blow it up for editing and printing. I always go w/ the max res and quality for digicams.