Question 2.5" SSD enclosure that supports TRIM for large capacity drive?

NickJP

Jul 28, 2022
I have a Samsung 8Tb 870 QVO SATA SSD that I use for transferring large numbers of large files. I've installed it in a couple of 2.5" USB 3.1 enclosures I have that both support TRIM when I put smaller (120Gb and 240Gb) SSDs in the enclosures, but when I put the 8Tb drive in either enclosure, it is only seen as an HDD, not an SSD, and so I can't TRIM it. At the moment I remove it from the enclosure I have it in about once a fortnight to connect it to a SATA cable in one of the PCs so that I can run TRIM on it.

Any suggestions on a 2.5" USB enclosure that correctly supports an SSD of this capacity?

NickJP

Jul 28, 2022
Well, to answer my own question, a 2.5" HDD that I had in an older StarTech S2510BMU33 enclosure died, so on the off-chance I put the 8TB SSD in that. In that enclosure, Windows sees it as an SSD, I can run trim on it without problems, and I get the expected throughput of ~400Mb/sec when copying large files to it. So problem solved.

Interestingly, when I look at the specs for the enclosure on the StarTech website, against max drive capacity it merely says "Currently tested with up to 1TB 5400 RPM hard drives", but it works with the much larger 8TB SSD, whereas the newer enclosures that I previously tried with the drive didn't.