1x 8800GT + 1x Radeon 3850?

SilentGem

Feb 16, 2008
Hello,

Are there any technical or software problems that would prevent me from running both a 8800GT and a Radeon 3850 on my computer? Not sure if there would be any hardware or driver conflicts here?

I have the ASUS P5K motherboard.

I realise I can't get the cards to work together to increase performance.

I currently own an 8800GT but I need to purchase a video card that can also transmit sound and image over the same cable (HDMI) so I can connect it to my TV.

Thanks!
SilentGem

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
Don't necessarily have to use HDMI for sound and video. Do you have external speakers for your TV, or an analog sound jack that goes with HDMI?

Would help if you told us more about your setup, TV as well.

SilentGem

Feb 16, 2008
Hello,

Thank you for your attention!

The TV I own is LG 37LC41:
http://de.lge.com/products/mod...ail/lcdtv_37lc41.jhtml

I do not have external speakers for my TV, I wish to use the internal speakers in the TV.

My computer is in another room a few meters away, I wish to drill a small hole in my wall to my living room and run a single HDMI cable from my PC to my TV, preferably. Do you know if there are any Sound + Dvi -> HDMI adapters out there?

Thanks!

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
Probably need something like this then. I have a similar setup to you, but I just run a 3.5mm cable from my sound card to my TV's analog sound jack.

I think they just make HDMI cables with DVI and audio split off the same end, but I couldn't find one at the moment.

SilentGem

Feb 16, 2008
Hmm, the device you linked is priced at $299, that's more expensive than a Radeon 3850 :)

I don't think my TV has an analog sound jack.

Also, I am planning on purchasing a second computer down the line and I figure if I purchase a Radeon 3850 now I could then just put this in the second computer later.

Do you have any idea whether or not I'll be able to run the 1x 8800GT + 1x Radeon 3850 configuration?

sutahz

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2007
As for your need for attention. Your first post was at 1:30am and your second at 5:30am. I'm willing to bet that 90% of AT userers are in bed or heading to bed by the time you made your first post.
On to your question, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Give your post 24hrs for a response, then if you must, drag attention to yourself.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Vista requires that all videocards use the same driver, but if you aren't running Vista then you might be able to get both to work along side each other. However, running a separate cable for audio would certainly be cheaper and likely less hassle, and your TV is bound to have the standard red and white RCA analog audio inputs which you can connect your PC to with a simple adapter cable. The specs on the page you linked suggest it even has a 3.5mm mini-plug connection which is standard to PCs.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
may I ask why do you want to do this type of combination? there might be a better approach based on what you need the machine to do.