1TB SSD for PS4?

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
Anybody out there have a PS4 with an SSD in it? I have a Toshiba 1TB SSHD (8GB SLC NAND Cache) and wanted to put in a 1TB (960GB actually) in my PS4 *just because*.

I have a SanDisk Ultra II 960GB and a PNY CS1311 960GB that I could potentially use.

Does anybody have a PS4 with an SSD in it? If so, is it either one of the drives I listed? If not, what drive (most concerned with the controller) have you tried? Or, does anybody know which controllers play the nicest with the PS4?

I've seen plenty of articles of people reviewing SSDs in PS4s and commenting on how it is anywhere from 30-50% faster for most games from cold boot. None of these sites take in to consideration how many different controllers there are and which one would potentially play well with the PS4. In my case, it is between the SanDisk with Marvell and PNY with Phison.

EDIT: If I don't get any bites, maybe I should plop each one in and run some tests myself. I have some 500GB+ Sammy 2.5" drives, and an old 480GB Vertex 3 (I think the PS4 requires MINIMUM 500GB though). Kind of hoping somebody has already gone through some different controller options.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I have a Crucial M500 960GB in my PS4. I have 480GB m4 and M500 drives in my PS3 consoles as well. I imagine anything with a Marvell controller should play nice. Everything is nice and snappy, from the dashboard to playing games. If you have the extra money to throw at it, it's a nice luxury.

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
I have a Crucial M500 960GB in my PS4. I have 480GB m4 and M500 drives in my PS3 consoles as well. I imagine anything with a Marvell controller should play nice. Everything is nice and snappy, from the dashboard to playing games. If you have the extra money to throw at it, it's a nice luxury.

So the Marvell is a safe bet... Just like the PC I guess. Hoping maybe someone chimes in that has a Sammy, Sandforce and/or Phison to see what differences, if any, there are. The 2 drives I mentioned I have on hand already and they were freebies. I have a 1TB 840 EVO Samsung in my guest PC I can swap with one of these if they're the best though. I don't want to go through the trouble of transferring ~700GB worth of games back and forth unless it's worth it.

Thanks for the 4-1-1 on the Marvell drive. I figured that would be a safe bet, but the Phison drive would be a gamble. Who knows? The PS4 may really LOVE the Phison controllers and be ~15% faster on average. I may go through the testing if I don't get very many responses by the weekend with both these drives and an empty 500GB 850 EVO to test the Sammy controller.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
i have a 240GB SSD in my PS4 (mainly used for netflix and bluray watching not gaming)

its a nice luxery but nothing earth shatteringly different from an HDD, let alone an SHDD.

h9826790

Apr 19, 2014
Theoretically it should be better. However, PS4 system is not design to take benefit from SSD, so, the real world speed gain vary a lot. I read a test from a local game magazine, which shows some operation is faster, but some others may be slower than SSHD. However, a SSD for sure can effectively eliminate the possibility of showing "transparent object" through out the game (because the HDD is not fast enough to load the object data).

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
Theoretically it should be better. However, PS4 system is not design to take benefit from SSD, so, the real world speed gain vary a lot. I read a test from a local game magazine, which shows some operation is faster, but some others may be slower than SSHD. However, a SSD for sure can effectively eliminate the possibility of showing "transparent object" through out the game (because the HDD is not fast enough to load the object data).

Yeah. I've seen improvements in my travels of the web of games going from 35 seconds to 22 seconds, but others being 25 seconds to 21 seconds. The SSHD seems like the best of both worlds, but hey, I get freebie drives all the time and figured may as well chuck one in there.

Glaring_Mistake: thanks for that link! Haven't seen THIS review yet. There are a lot of them out there, mostly done on Marvell based SSDs (at least I think they are).

I may just start testing these. I delayed a bit because I had no clue what my PSN login was, but I figured it out last night, so there's no excuse. I'm going to try a few games like GTA5, Until Dawn and some others.

I do like that as you play games on the PS4, it just kind of installs in the background until it is fully loaded. I noticed it on accident, cause I noticed the drive stopped spinning awhile but the game was still going smooth as can be. :D

mnewsham: do you have that 240GB connected via USB? i'm assuming yes cause the PS4 barks at you if it's less than 500GB.

Anybody wants an SSHD I can send them my old one if they want. :) Otherwise it's going to collect dust until a friend goes shelf shopping.

Last edited:

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
EDIT: PS4 wasn't taking the update file but upon careful examination, Chrome for whatever reason renamed the actual file name! derp derp derp...

I'll see how this SanDisk goes and then try out the PNY.

Last edited:

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
mnewsham: do you have that 240GB connected via USB? i'm assuming yes cause the PS4 barks at you if it's less than 500GB.

Nope, installed it day 1(about 3 weeks after launch), never had anything in there besides a 240GB SSD.

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
Nope, installed it day 1(about 3 weeks after launch), never had anything in there besides a 240GB SSD.

well damn... i think i'm definitely gonna be the first one to test out a range of SSD controllers in the PS4. i have a ton of SSDs, just not a lot of spares that are 500GB+. i'm gonna plop in a sandforce 1 & 2 too just because! only going to try a like the same 3 or 4 games though. if, after, the first 3 SSD controllers are all within 1-2 seconds of each other, i'll probably just call it a day.

like others said and things i've found online; the difference between hdd and ssd is not as pronounced on a console vs a pc because of how the ps4 filesystem and bd streaming is. i really thought you HAD to have a 500GB minimum any-drive in the PS4.

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003
Very interested in your tests. I'm still running the original drive that came with it. I'll gladly take your 1tb sshd if you're not going to use it anymore!

davidthemaster3

Mar 11, 2011
Look into DigitalFoundry's tests on youtube. They have a few games they test out, but as I recall it really only helps for load times apart for Fallout 4 because of texture streaming.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
i really thought you HAD to have a 500GB minimum any-drive in the PS4.

There may have since been a system update making this true, I don't rightly know for sure.

However if remember correctly I used drive cloning software to make a direct image, instead of reinstalling on the SSD from scratch.
Not sure what effect that would have.