1and1 and their 404 screen -- Anyone know how to change it?

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
I have a page on 1and1 hosting service provider and have tried to change their 1and1 standard 404 page. I've tried dropping the file in and naming it "notfound.jpg" and "404.jpg" but it doesn't work. I look at the path of the page and added that directory "spicons" and dropped the images in there and it still doesn't work.

Does anyone know where I would put the images or have a script to do this?

Thanks!

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Most hosting providers allow you to specify the path of your own 404 page. I'd just write a simple 404 page, insert your images into that, upload it and point the 404 requests to your page.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: dude
I have a page on 1and1 hosting service provider and have tried to change their 1and1 standard 404 page. I've tried dropping the file in and naming it "notfound.jpg" and "404.jpg" but it doesn't work. I look at the path of the page and added that directory "spicons" and dropped the images in there and it still doesn't work.

Does anyone know where I would put the images or have a script to do this?

Thanks!

don't think they allow it, you don't have access to edit the .htaccess file, if there is some other way to use custom 404 pages I'd love to know. I spent an hour on my 1and1 shell trying to figure one out :)

zuk

Jan 18, 2004
Umm... You do have access to .htaccess files, it's even AllowOverride All. ErrorDocument 404 is therefore possible. If you receive a problem with your custom error 404 page not being called when a script does not exist (like .php / .cgi...) and it only works for static html pages, just use this RewriteRule instead:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule (.*) /yourerrorfile.html

You could also create a file named error404.html (or error401.html, error500.html...) which would be automatically called in case the error is triggered.