1993 BMW 325i questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hopeless, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hopeless

Hopeless Golden Member

Looking at getting a used one and these forums have quite a lot of BMW love going on.

Any problems / known issues with them?

Edit:
    Mileage is 180k for around $2000

#1 Hopeless, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

How many miles? Honestly, you're going to have issues with that car constantly. Sunroof rattles, horrible autotragic transmission, onboard computer display will need to be replaced, plastic radiator is prone to cracking, interior leather does not hold up well over time unless well cared for, strut/shock mounts wear out. It's not a particularly good car and looks quite dated.

I'd look for a clean, low mileage E46 myself.

3. Hopeless

Hopeless Golden Member

Thanks for the reply.

Mileage is 180k for around $2000 and seller says he has maintenance records.

4. ShawnD1

ShawnD1 Lifer

first off are the google results

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=1993&make=BMW&model=3-Series&wa=wsignin1.0
    Lots of google results about "fuel problems"

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1992-to-1998-bmw-325i-328i-323i-2.htm

So basically it acts just like a Volkswagen. Endless fun with electrical devices.

5. Cheesetogo

Cheesetogo Diamond Member

Be prepared to spend a lot on maintenance. The E46 as Jules stated is probably a better buy, but even so it's probably going to require a good amount of work over time.

6. Demo24

Demo24 Diamond Member

First year model range of the e36, no thanks. Nothing all that redeeming about it. Not that quick and its going to need some work(bushings, etc).

7. reallyscrued

reallyscrued Platinum Member

Listen to these posts.

I bought a '92 E36 myself 4 years ago, became a black hole for money. I had every single problem JulesMaximus identified.

If you can repair/maintain it yourself and like a project car, go for it, but since you're asking on a forum whether it's a good buy, I'd assume it'd be nothing but headaches for you.

8. Doggiedog

Doggiedog Lifer

I had a '95 E36 325i. It was fun to drive but it had so many problems.

Water pump, AC (2x), heater, lights, rear shock towers, radiator, door locks, brakes, alternator, bushings, interior lights, fuses, wiper motor, window motor, speakers...I forget how many problems I had to fix on that thing.

I got rid of it in 2005 as a trade in for $2.5K with 113K miles. The clutch was starting to go and the heater stopped working. Fortunately, it was summer so they didn't test it out.

I didn't learn my lesson and got an '09 335i brand new and it's had major problems too. I must have brought it in 6-7 times already. The G35 and GS300 I used to have had nearly zero problems. My MDX had two problems. Old German cars will cost you money if you don't know how to fix them.

9. Kirby

Kirby Lifer

Project car? Yeah.
    Something that you need to depend on? * no.

10. Hopeless

Hopeless Golden Member

Thanks for the info everyone, ended up not buying it.

11. SpatiallyAware

It wouldn't be a horrible car to have, but it's IMHO more of an $800 car if you're either a decent home mechanic or live in an area with independent german shops

With a car like this you have to do your research on parts, often times you can find aftermarket stuff that's better than OEM (IE none of this 'replacing water pumps twice' stuff) while also being cheaper.