1991 Civic Si for <$3,000?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I'm going to look at a 1991 Civic Si tonight. Guy from my church is selling it. It's got somewhere in the neighborhood of 100,000 miles on it, after market rims, a CD player, CB radio, alarm, &amp; has been well cared for at least as long as he's had it. Only problems with it are a possible bad oxygen sensor that causes it to stall occasionally at certain RPM/gear combinations, &amp; it's had some minor body damage that was repaired (front headlight was broken, &amp; minor front bumper damage when he was hit). Kelly Blue Book Trade In/Retail values are ~$3250/~$6000. The 02 sensor would cost around $140 for the part, &amp; I don't know about labor cost. He's asking $3,000, but I can probably get it for less.

The way I see it:

Pros:
- It's a Honda, it's going to be reliable.
- It's cheap. I can give him $1,000 cash right now, another $500 in a week, &amp; make two $750 payments over the next 8 weeks &amp; have it paid off.
- 36 mpg. I have to commute 50+ miles a day for work.
- Front wheel drive = good for the snow that'll be here in a few months.
- Only a 1.6 liter, not likely to get me into too much trouble.
- Buying from someone I know &amp; trust.
- In 3 months I'll have a car I can re-sell for a down payment on a better car, without having to worry about acquiring financing now. I'm quite sure he's willing to let me make payments.

Cons:
- Fairly high mileage.
- Has been in an accident, albeit minor.
- Only a 1.6 liter, not likely to please my desire for speed. But then again my last car had a 1.4 liter, &amp; I got pulled over for passing a cop at 80... :D
- It's a fvckin' Civic. 'Nuff said.

Anybody have any thoughts? I've gotta get something soon, &amp; this is lookin' like a fairly good option.

Viper GTS

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
O2 sensor going for $140? I got a new one for $50 and they're easy to install so you won't have to pay anyone to do it for you. Hondas a reliable, and that seems like a decent price for an Si. Or you could go for a 3.0L V6 Chrystler/Dodge from around the same year if you're worried about not getting any power ;) But I'd go for that Civic if you're looking for a new car - especially if its been well taken care of.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
$140 was what he was quoted at a dealership. Keep in mind that I have no friggin' clue how to work on cars, so unless my dad could help me I'd be SOL as far as a self-install goes.

Millenium...

I've got a girl coming to see me in 3 1/2 months. That's December. In Oregon. Sport bike is definitely out of the question.

Viper GTS

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You basically unplug a harness and plug the new one in. Not to hard.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Some of you guys clearly havent changed enough oxygen sensors ;) If it was installed with no antiseize compound and is in a hard place to get a wrench on it, it cant be like trying to turna screw thats been welded in! But I'd have serious doubts its your oxygen sensor, usually they dont cause a car to stall until they are REALLY bad. Does it have other bad o2 sensor symptoms like bad gas mileage?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
He said 36 mpg...

I haven't driven it yet, so I don't know how bad the stall problem is.

Viper GTS

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
That sounds like pretty good mileage to me, if I were you I'd check it out with a mechanic first, as that just doesnt seem characteristic of a bad oxygen sensor to me. I'd say speed/distance sensor or a AIS motor, but those often just show up at idle.....

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well chaning my oxygen sensor is not that hard. We are talking about two different types of cars though...

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I will have it checked by a mechanic before I buy it, since I don't know enough to make an appraisal of it myself.

Viper GTS

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
You mentioned something about aftermarket rims, that sounds kind of ricey to me:p especially on a Civic:)

Warrenton

Banned
Aug 7, 2000
My old car, changing the O2 sensor was as simple as jacking it up, unlatching a heatshield (didn't even screw on) and sitting there was the OC sensor. Big open gap. Unplug the wire (squeeze and pull easy). And take a open end wrench and unscrew it, it didn't have antisieze compound though and I had to use a cheater bar.