1980s movies rental Google Play store HD vs SD

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Is it ever worth it to rent the HD version of a movie from the Google Play store if the movie is from the 1980s and is not remastered? The HD versions are usually $1 more per rental.

EDIT - even remastered films seem to be mostly about new audio, right?

Last edited:

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
how do you know if google is using remaster or not?
The movie in question - Star Trek III - appears to be the original based on the Google Play description. https://play.google.com/store/movies/details/Star_Trek_III_The_Search_for_Spock?id=t8OFNrSzt2A.P

I have seen other 1980's movies where it will say "remastered." For example Star Trek II you can rent the Director's cut which is remastered. https://play.google.com/store/movie...e_Wrath_of_Khan_Director_s_Cut?id=4F-x916WsWY

Or you can rent the original

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The thing is Star Trek 3 was remastered for BluRay. But I don't know how you can tell which version google is showing you.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
The thing is Star Trek 3 was remastered for BluRay. But I don't know how you can tell which version google is showing you.
Maybe I could email Google and tell them I'm trying to save a dollar and sdifox told me to email them? 😀

Last edited:

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Which opens up an interesting question, does google use dvd-rips or do they get digital scans of the original movie print from the studios?
If it's the second one then even a non-remastered movie stream will have much better quality in HD if the original movie had a good enough quality.

The real question is, do you need to see every wrinkle in Ricardo Gonzalo Pedro Montalbán' face.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Which opens up an interesting question, does google use dvd-rips or do they get digital scans of the original movie print from the studios?
If it's the second one then even a non-remastered movie stream will have much better quality in HD if the original movie had a good enough quality.

The real question is, do you need to see every wrinkle in Ricardo Gonzalo Pedro Montalbán' face.
They have to licence it from Paramount and the contract would spell out exactly which ones they can stream and which version.

Remember theae are the same people that want you to pay for a licence for each and every format.

Last edited: