1973 Porsche 914/4 1.7

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I'm looking at buying a 1973 Porsche 914/4 1.7, does anyone have any experiences with these cars? I've not yet had a chance to look at the car personally (it's 4 hours away), but the pictures look good and I will be driving out to look at it in a week or so. For $2800, the car looks like a great deal and I'm very excited at the possability of owning a 914. Thanks for any help guys.

Zenmervolt

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
The only one worth owning is the 914/6. The shift linkage on the 914s always feels sloppy even if the parts are all new. Other than that they drive real nice because of the good wieght balance.

BuddyHolly

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
Yea, stay away from the 4 cylinder. The 6's were ok..but you can get a much better ride by buying a mid 80's MR2, rx7, etc..most people look at the 914 as the crappiest Porsche..not true,,but that is the perception..

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I'd be getting the 4-cylinder version, the 914/6 is a little beyond my means, and I wouldn't be buying it for acceleration at all. I know the perception of the "Volksporsche" is generally not that good, but I don't give a damn. I love the styling, and the main reason for wanting the car is the handling. Besides, the 914/6 still only had 110 hp, and the 914/4 can be brought to that level without too much trouble. I was mainly looking for compelling reasons not to buy the car, severe mechanical problems to look for and such. I'd be buying the car for me and not for anyone else's perception of me or the car. :)

Zenmervolt

EDIT: Sorry, no link to the pictures currently, they were E-mailed to me and I don't have them up on the web.

Multislacking

Apr 17, 2001
914 = old VW w/expensive parts.

IMO, you could get something a lot nicer and sporter for that amount of money. A guarantee that any sport coupe from the mid '80's is as fast or faster, is higher quality, and will cost less to maintain and insure thatn that Porsche. At one time I was looking at purchasing a 924 but looking at it long term I quickly realized it isn't worth it.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
<<A guarantee that any sport coupe from the mid '80's is as fast or faster, is higher quality, and will cost less to maintain and insure thatn that Porsche>>

True, but for reliable transportation I will still have my old Honda Accord. The Porsche will only be insured for the summer anyway, it will winter in a barn, under a car cover if I do buy it. I know the practicality issues with the 914 (which are mainly that it has no practicality), but as the saying goes, &quot;Sometimes you like the child a little more who has problems&quot;. I won't be dissuaded, but I do want to know what to look for when I see the car in person. Thanks.

Zenmervolt

archie

May 9, 2001
Word of advice
Stay away from older Porsches!!
A 1973 Porsche is old and its realibilty is terrible.

You will be spending more time in the shop with the car than driving it.

Save your money and buy something else...dont go with an old porsche...you will be wasting money

warcleric

Banned
May 31, 2000
Again, I have to pipe up.....I have owned many Porsche's and have not experienced high repair costs or maintenance problems EVER!!! The 914 is very easy to work on yourself and is a great handling car...you will be hard pressed to find a car that is as fun to drive for that kind of money. I say go for it...they are reliable as hell and not expensive to fix...that is a myth spread around by rice boys who envy anyone who gets a car with a bit of class.

GreenGhost

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I'd love to have an older Porsche. What about 911's (912s)? Can I find one for about $5,000?

warcleric

Banned
May 31, 2000
GreenGhost: I have bought mid 70's 911's and a couple 912's for that price range. The 912 handles like a dream but is underpowered...it is basically owning a Porsche so you can say you own one. For that money I would go with a heavily modded 914/4 or 914/6 or my all time favorite low budget Porsche an early 80's 924T<the best handling Porsche ever when they were introduced>.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I bought one brand new in 1976 - 914 -2.0. The most fun car to drive I have ever owned (and the tickets to prove it).

Maintanance wasn't bad. I outfitted it with headers and could almost keep up with 911s - even outhandle them in the corners.

The 914/6 was discontinued because it was higher performance than the flagship 911s. The regular 914 is also pretty economical on gas.