1920 x1200 res, need a GPU solution

Bearing360

Feb 22, 2008
I've been wanting to do a custom build for a few years now but my budget hasn't been cooperating, Finally I see some light and after doing tons of research it looks like it is a good year to have the extra money with the great memory prices and all the new hardware that is either out or coming soon. My problem is I am having a real hard time narrowing down my build and I thought some good advice might help. I feel a long post coming on and I apologize in advance for that, but I figure the more you know about my needs the more you might be able to help me.

I like to call myself a gamer, however my system now and past systems say otherwise. I tend to struggle a bit financially and my computer upgrades have always been whatever I can do to "get by" (in particular my graphics cards). Although I must admit my computer knowledge is a lot higher now then it has been in the past and I can never see myself settling for a quick run to Staples to buy the laughable Radeon x300se. As you can imagine my graphics settings are quite low in nearly all semi-new to new games to be able to play at a decent framerate. It's at the point now where I can't even try the best games on the market right now. Thank god for my xbox 360. Which brings me to my first dilemna- my monitor.

When I do my build, I am planning on upgrading to a 24" monitor for a couple of reasons. 1. I like the idea of having a native 1080p resolution since my xbox will be connected to it as well. 2. I am currently in school for programming and web design and I am thinking the extra real estate will come in handy as I get farther along. I am currently on a 19" running at 1280 x 1024. I am not completely sold on the 24" but am almost positive I want at least a 22" so any advice you can spare here might be useful to me. I know this is not the "monitor section" of the forums, but it certainly falls hand in hand with my main concern- graphics card(s)

Taking into consideration my present and past computers, I know just about anything out there would be a HUGE upgrade for me and could easily put a smile on my face with even the 8600gt(although not an option I am considering). My main concern is the 1920 x 1200 resolution and what will truly make me happy after the initial bliss of just having a good system wears off. Also while my budget may be a little looser now while my school is paid for, that may not be the case after a year or two so I am a little scared of an SLI setup. I am willing to spend approx 1500$us and assuming I go with good memory, Processor, and motherboard, what gpu setups would you suggest and why? I am currently considering the 8800gt512, 8800gt 512 SLI, 9600gt, 9600gt SLI, and the 8800 gts(g92). Excluding Crysis, I would love to have most of the eye candy and will probably stick exclusively to EVGA cards so I can step up if the 9800 series is viable from a price performance standpoint. Here is a general idea of what kind of setup I am looking into now so you can chime in on the "off topic" parts if you see something that you might want to add feedback too.

Case - antec900
PSU- depends on GPU setup
CPU- 3.0ghz Wolfdale E8400
memory- Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
perhaps 4gb, still trying to decide on the 64bit os or not. Also due to the lack of reviews for the DDR2 1066(PC2 8500) I havent decided if this may be better for me to utilize the higher FSB I can probably achieve with my board and processor
mainboard- suggestions for a single gpu solution would be welcome otherwise probably the 680i or 780ichipset

I have some experience OC'n although I am hardly an expert. I am comfortable doing the research though so OC'n is certainly an option.

With all this said, I would certainly be grateful for any qualified advice. Thank you in advance =)

edit: the 1500$ budget is a rough estimate and does not include the monitor

Bearing360

Feb 22, 2008
lol , I guess editing a post doesn't give you a bump. I guess I'll have to sit here talking to myself.. =)

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Go for an intel based motherboard. As for graphics, 8800GT 512 is killer bang for buck *excluding crysis*

Bearing360

Feb 22, 2008
Yeah, all my cpu/motherboards have been amd based for no particular reason other than maybe my budget but I figure I would go with intel this time around. I here some people say that they like AMD better but never state why. I see you are using the 8800GT 512. Do you use a high resolution? I am all about "bang for the buck" but I see a lot of people recommending the GTS(g92) for higher resolutions. I don't like the prices though and it seems like dual 9600gt would outperform a single GTS with a small difference in price. Maybe my problem deciding is that there is too many choices. If only I had the patience to see what the 9800 series had to offer and how it effects current card prices. My money is due anytime now but who knows, maybe it will take longer to get here (G.I. Bill back pay) and I can see the prices fall a bit.

Bearing360

Feb 22, 2008
Thank you for your replies. That was my main concern if the 8800gt would handle those resolutions with the eye candy. It is starting to look like a clear winner and I certainly like the price over the alternatives. On another note , I hear a lot of mixed reviews on the SLI setups albeit a lot of the reviews are outdated. Do you think it would be worth investing the extra 100 Bucks or so for a good SLI board for the "just in case" factor. Or do you think by the time I truly NEED SLI that it will be time for an overhaul anyway. Damn Crysis set the bar way too high. I'm just afraid of all the game developers trying to follow suit and end up unhappy with my rig when more games come out. Thanks again.

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
I'd like to play the devil's advocate and talk you into spending less on a PC today, and upgrading more often. You can't future-proof. Also, a fairly recent low buck build is still worth something on the used PC market. A 3 year old top of the line build, not so much.

To that end I suggest:

E2160 ($71) + DS3L/P35-E ($90 or less) + 2G cheap 667 ram ($25) + quality PSU AR ($35-50) + 8800GT 512 ($210). This comes out to about $450 for the machine guts, most of that being the video card. You could even go with a 3850 and squirrel away another $60. And with a no-brainer overclock this setup *will* play any current game at 1900x1200. To do so at very high settings with FSAA you'd need 3x 8800GTX in SLI or quadfire, and even then the results are not guaranteed.

Realize that the visual differences between max eye candy and a notch or two down are not huge. Upper mainstream/lower enthusiast is very much a sweet spot for gaming hardware.

I understand the desire to get the top of the line. But for me at least getting 80% of the performance for 1/2 the cost has always been good enough so long as I know I'll be upgrading again soon. That didn't happen with my last machine -- I got sucked into an MMO and my machine was more than adequate to play that for nearly 3 years.

If you are going top of the line expect to fork over for a multi-GPU solution and higher end CPU & board. Which means an nvidia chipset (780i), 2x 8800GT or 8800GTS, E8400, SLI certified PSU. And live with the understanding that in 6-12 months a single GPU solution will come out which will perform better, use less power and cost less.

Bearing360

Feb 22, 2008
Thank you for your input v8envy , but that has been my downfall for as long as I can remember and seems too much like settling. I can get the same results with my current system upgrading the PSU and adding a 8800gt.

I'm with you SniperDaws, going into this thread i was a little concerned about combining the 8800GT and the 19x12 res. I think it may tide me over though as long as the 9800GT/GTX doesn't get pushed back too far and I miss my window for EVGA's step up.

Bearing360

Feb 22, 2008
Yeah probably my best bet, but I sure am itching to get started. Although I was thinking it might be easier to wait a month or two for the 9800gt/gtx then to have experienced a decent gaming rig only to snatch my gpu out a month later and then have to wait 2 weeks or so for evga to step up. My only concern is the price. I'd hate to wait and then see the new cards debut at 600$, which is a bit more than I am willing to spend on a single gpu. I'm thinking I would be willing to pay 400$ .. 450$ topps. My wife would kill me =) otherwise my budget would be a bit more than 1500.. lol