19.5% of Russia’s state oil company just sold. Dossier mentioned pledge to sell 19% to Trump.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I want to highlight a story that many people haven’t noticed. On Wednesday, Reuters reported (in great detail) how 19.5% of Rosneft, Russia’s state oil company, has been sold to parties unknown. This was done through a dizzying array of shell companies, so that the most that can be said with certainty now is that the money “paying” for it was originally loaned out to the shell layers by VTB (the government’s official bank), even though it’s highly unclear who, if anyone, would be paying that loan back; and the recipients have been traced as far as some Cayman Islands shell companies.

Why is this interesting? Because the much-maligned Steele Dossier (the one with the golden showers in it) included the statement that Putin had offered Trump 19% of Rosneft if he became president and removed sanctions. The reason this is so interesting is that the dossier said this in July, and the sale didn’t happen until early December. And 19.5% sounds an awful lot like “19% plus a brokerage commission.”

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-rosneft-privatisation-insight-idUSKBN1582OH

Reactions: MongGrel

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I want to highlight a story that many people haven’t noticed. On Wednesday, Reuters reported (in great detail) how 19.5% of Rosneft, Russia’s state oil company, has been sold to parties unknown. This was done through a dizzying array of shell companies, so that the most that can be said with certainty now is that the money “paying” for it was originally loaned out to the shell layers by VTB (the government’s official bank), even though it’s highly unclear who, if anyone, would be paying that loan back; and the recipients have been traced as far as some Cayman Islands shell companies.

Why is this interesting? Because the much-maligned Steele Dossier (the one with the golden showers in it) included the statement that Putin had offered Trump 19% of Rosneft if he became president and removed sanctions. The reason this is so interesting is that the dossier said this in July, and the sale didn’t happen until early December. And 19.5% sounds an awful lot like “19% plus a brokerage commission.”

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-rosneft-privatisation-insight-idUSKBN1582OH

So who will investigate this?

Would this be impeachment worthy? Would this be a form of treason?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Still good to be skeptical of the Steele dossier, but if there ends up being a Trump connection (and that's a big "if")... well, that's it. It's treason. Trump gets impeached at a minimum, and it potentially delegitimizes the whole election result.

I really, really don't want to assume this is the case, but I hope that journalists are diving deep and looking for any connections.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Another interesting thing about the dossier is that weeks after the MI6 guy went off the radar into hiding, it was reported that a Russian intelligence guy had his head covered with a bag and was drug out of a intelligence meeting and has not been seen since. His social media has been scrubbed and he's now in prision and charged with aiding western countries with espionage.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
The sale of this was decreed before the election. Obviously that matters little because Russia was confident in their ability to sway the election. But it's at least technically possible the sale was going to happen anyways. And it most certainly was in the works before the new sanctions. Although, given their great motive for interfering with the election, they probably saw that coming too.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This is interesting. But I suspect what we will see is Putin now owns 19.5% of this company if there was a way to weed through all the shell companies. Watch a few documentaries about Putin and how he has accumulated so much wealth. The guy is a master of deception.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Even Trump can't possibly be this corrupt. Right?

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah this might be reaching quite a bit. There was news back in June that they were looking to sell $11B stake due to issues with the Russian government meeting spending commitments.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
This is interesting. But I suspect what we will see is Putin now owns 19.5% of this company if there was a way to weed through all the shell companies. Watch a few documentaries about Putin and how he has accumulated so much wealth. The guy is a master of deception.

I thought of that too. But that wouldn't help Putin, Russia needs foreign cash desperately.

Feb 4, 2009
Lets just hope the Left actually looks at this type of thing, instead of his tweets.

I agree, we need to let up on the racist finger pointing and being so upset about a relatively minor Holocaust remembrance day thing or some stupid internet frog meme and focus more on what's going on with Trump and how to win elections.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I thought the Steele dossier said that Carter Page and his brokerage firm was offered a 19% stake in Rosneft

This is correct. The larger question of a possible payoff to Trump is unclear but were such an arrangement to be conducted I'd have a hard time believing that he didn't have knowledge of it unless the other info in the dossier is actually accurate and he is under threat of blackmail.

The level of obfuscation wrt the deal and how close the percentage matches the dossier is interesting but I'm very skeptical until some sort of real evidence is found

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
This is correct. The larger question of a possible payoff to Trump is unclear but were such an arrangement to be conducted I'd have a hard time believing that he didn't have knowledge of it unless the other info in the dossier is actually accurate and he is under threat of blackmail.

The level of obfuscation wrt the deal and how close the percentage matches the dossier is interesting but I'm very skeptical until some sort of real evidence is found

As am I. However, this easily warrants an independent investigation.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
To clarify:
  • Personal benefit / gain by a "special interest", including another country, is itself corruption.
  • Acting on that gain, for another country, would be betrayal / treason.
Right?

Clinton had similar charges levied against her regarding the foundation and uranium to Putin.
Her supporters denied it, her opponents believed it. Now Trump gets similar treatment.
How to tell fact from fiction...

Nov 30, 2006
Doc this is admittedly a big if but if its shown to be far more likely to be true than not true what will your opinion be?
And just when is this spurious accusation far more likely to be considered true? When the volume level within the liberal echo chamber rises to exceptionally "truthy" levels? Or when actual facts come to light which clearly prove such an accusation?

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I thought of that too. But that wouldn't help Putin, Russia needs foreign cash desperately.

Putin doesnt give a shit about what Russia needs. He invaded Crimea knowing it would tank his economy. If he can steal a few hundred million more for him and his cronies at the expense of Russia he would.

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
There aren't any shell companies in the Cayman Islands.

It's just a "conspiracy theory"!

Nov 30, 2006
Thanx for that. Who do you think is the new owner and why is Russia attempting to hide the buyer?

A drug cartel perhaps?
I have zero idea who the new owner is and normally wouldn't dare to guess. But Tillerson does kinda have beady eyes...probably him! lol

Last edited: