17-Year-Old Girl Shot Dead By Three Cops At Texas Police Station

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Nothing wrong with this shoot.

I will say though, the camera makes it very difficult to understand why he felt the need to get off of her. There is nothing inherently WRONG with it, but it appeared he could have just sat on her back.

Sort of like the mentality when people jump out of moving cars. Their body may act without the brain actually thinking.

That said...if I saw someone pulling out a knife while I'm wrestling with them, I'm going to get the fuck away immediately.

Mental Illness. Mental Illness. When the fuck are we going to stop ignoring it.

That is what I don't understand. He had her on the ground. Any reason he couldn't just keep her pinned until the others arrived? He essentially let her get up which gave him a justified shot. But it seems like that part could have been avoided just by staying on top of her. Admittedly, it doesn't look like he is in very good shape.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
That is what I don't understand. He had her on the ground. Any reason he couldn't just keep her pinned until the others arrived? He essentially let her get up which gave him a justified shot. But it seems like that part could have been avoided just by staying on top of her. Admittedly, it doesn't look like he is in very good shape.

It didn't look like he was a normal uniformed cop, so he probably only had lethal coverage on him. It's possible that when she was going for the knife, he thought he could give her a chance to live by backing away from her....ahem "Tactical Retreat"...(which is the new buzzword among protestors)...and then once away, hold her at gunpoint from a safe distance until you can get someone in with less lethal or more manpower.

She wanted to die, and she got it. It's a shame she made others do it for her.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
There is also the fact that he didn't know if she had anything else (weapon wise) on her period and this is another reason why he might of decided to move away. Then again there is the Tueller drill to consider, i.e. 21 foot rule. Someone with a knife can easily overwhelm and stab someone armed with a gun if they have not yet drawn their pistol and they are under 21 feet in distance. Hence why he moved away and immediately drew his weapon.

Knife vs Gun - The 21 Foot Rule - Great Demonstration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_KJ1R2PCMM

Yes there is a Myth Buster video that confirms everything said in this video.

Lastly smaller people and especially women (who have greater strength in their legs than their upper body) are a lot harder to control and wrestle for any period of time in a close quarter situation, especially someone who is enraged and looking to cause harm. Nevermind if they suddenly pull out a knife.

Last edited:

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
We should just make it the death penalty for owning a gun except if you are a police man. We could do random searches of people's homes etc and given some time for things to evolve, nobody would be able to walk into a police station with one.

You know you are literally a Nazi, right? Not in the pejorative sense. A full-on, real, actual Nazi?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
A gun is a gun. A toddler can kill with one. Doesnt matter your age, sex, race etc.

Reading the artcile it sounds like she was going for suicide by cop maybe?

Yes, yes they can. Also, if you have kids, you need to...well, just ask puppies.