16 port wall mount switch recommendations?

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Looking to buy a 16 port wall mount switch, considering a netgear GS116NA, primary use will be network to streaming media players as well as home office and game consoles.

Thanks

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I've been quite happy with my pair of TP-Link TL-SG1024DE's. The 16 port version is $90 on Amazon.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Look on ebay for dell's

You can get ones which are retired out for very cheap.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013

It was a rhetorical/sarcastic question. It's loud and power hungry (like most business/enterprise gear), not what I'd call ideal for a basic home network setup. That's the same reason I dumped all my Cisco gear. I replaced a Cisco MDS and Catalyst with my pair of passively cooled TP-Link switches. Drastically improved the noise output of my rack and I'm saving 200w constant of electricity.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It was a rhetorical/sarcastic question. It's loud and power hungry (like most business/enterprise gear), not what I'd call ideal for a basic home network setup. That's the same reason I dumped all my Cisco gear. I replaced a Cisco MDS and Catalyst with my pair of passively cooled TP-Link switches. Drastically improved the noise output of my rack and I'm saving 200w constant of electricity.

Ah ok. I don't care about noise since my setup is in the basement. I think it is under 100w in my current load.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
pretty sure my R710 draws more than that.

Yeah, my R610 was right around 180w with my "normal" load and it didn't have any drives in it. About 250w when under a fairly heavy load (replication). That's what pushed me to move to Ivy Bridge-EP and pull my second processor out. A single E5-2670 v2 gives me nearly as many cores/threads as a pair of L5640's but with a higher clock speed and less power consumption. Only time I max the CPU out is when transcoding raw Bluray rips but that can be solved by limiting the transcoding.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Entire rack + wall is about 650 watt. Includes two of those dell switches + 2x2910 24 in the rack, R510, 2xR610, 1xHP DL180 G6. There is a small netgear switch that sits in front of the virtualized firewall ports but behind the DSL modem, T-Mobile cell tower, Centurylink DSL modem, + Meraki MR18, and a 20" Dell LCD monitor.

Really not as bad as expected. Sound is pretty decent. Low hum of fans. The HP I had to remove two riser cards for the fans to be tolerable. Load will increase a little as I add in POE cameras.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Yeah, I'm at 165-180 watts with a single host running along with the pair of switches, cable modem, and AP. The second host has more drives so it's around 220 watts when it's on. I only turn it on for backups these days since I've got more than enough resources to run off a single host. My "original" rack setup from a few years back was pulling 1,400w constant. DL580 G5, 2x IBM x3650 M1's, 1x Home brew NAS, 2x Cisco Catalyst 2960's, 1x Cisco MDS 9128. Even ignoring the noise, that had a silly amount of horsepower for the time but that was $90/mo of electricity. So I decided I need to upgrade to something more efficient. "Stage 1" got that down to 650w. Now it's 400w with both running. That's $700/yr in electricity savings even with both running. 2 years of that will pay for the rebuild.

I've always hated HP's decision to force the high performance fan profile when you've got the riser cards installed. I've got 3x DL380 G6's in the closet still that did the same thing.

Reactions: Genx87

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Oh yeah this is total overkill for a home setup. It is more a proof of concept\hobby build. Wanted to see if enterprise can be affordable in the home. It can thanks to the availability of older but capable servers for cheap on ebay. And even decent switching on ebay for under 100 bucks\switch. But it is also a lab setup for me to try different things in a HA virtualized environment. I used to run all of this on a home built box with an i3, 4 port Intel nic, LSI SAS controller, and a bunch of drives. It worked ok but if the system went tits up for whatever reason wifey got annoyed internet went out.

Have learned the caveats of how to virtualize FWs for active\passive in a virtualized 2 node environment. And getting to know Veeams powershell for backups since the free edition doesnt allow for schedule backups like it used to several years ago. Scheduled can be done via powershell.

Will run this for a few years and see what a couple generations can bring for lower power consumption. Should be interesting to see.