15 Million People Use Steam.

toughwimp11

May 8, 2005
thats excellent cause steam is awesome, other than the occasional glitch here or there, its a really nice being able to play a game without needing cds, etc or using a52, etc

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
More steam gamers than PS3 owners then?

I really like steam, just wish the prices dropped as quick as the retail equivalents.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
I'm concerned with Steam. I'm unable to play offline games without an internet connection anymore, even if I've activated it previously.

Specifically I'm talking about HL2.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I swear when Steam came out everyone was bitchin about how bad it was. I swear.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Aflac

it had issues in the beginning. it's great now

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

it had issues in the beginning. it's great now

it had a LOT of MASSIVE issues. it took valve YEARS to get it together. i remember hearing about steam in 2001 or 2002.

it still has some really stupid issues. it can be a bit of a resource pig. it can make other apps stop working properly. it constantly forgets your settings in the server browser.

at least they fixed it so it remembers your favourite servers... it used to forget those once a week.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I think Steam is great. I've never really had any issues, except a couple bad attempts at backups.

onlyCOpunk

Platinum Member
May 25, 2003
I'm indifferent. But I do like the fact that you can redownload our purchased games over and over and back them up.

I made the mistake of buying Crysis online from EA. Which means I could only download it once, I can only play it when I'm online, and I couldn't make a backup of the data. So if I uninstall I'm up the proverbial creek.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I love Steam. I just wish I owned all my previously owned Steam available games via Steam. Prices are coming down enough that I may just buy games like Deus Ex on Steam just so I can always DL them if I choose to/lose my CD. I'm bummed that I didn't look at Steam prior to buying Stalker retail a month ago.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Oh sweet. Commander Keen for $5. And I have a P2 up and running just begging for this game. Awesome. Now to find some glide games.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Scouzer
I'm concerned with Steam. I'm unable to play offline games without an internet connection anymore, even if I've activated it previously.

Specifically I'm talking about HL2.

I have no problem playing in offline mode.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
I remember when Steam was hacked and some CC#'s were exposed to the public. That was fun.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: vhx
I remember when Steam was hacked and some CC#'s were exposed to the public. That was fun.

Except it wasn't hacked:

"There has been no security breach of Steam," Valve director of marketing Doug Lombardi told 1UP. "The alleged hacker gained access to a third-party site that Valve uses to manage the commercial partners in its Cyber Cafe program. This Cyber Cafe billing system is not connected to Steam.

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
I've had Steam since the DAY it was introduced in CS 1.5 days. It's been nothing but spectacular for me. I have never once had a big issue with it. No CD's FTW. I have about 30 games at my disposal at any point. Install games with 2 mouse clicks. I'm proud to be one of the first of those 15 million accounts. :)

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
LOL, yah because every product since the wheel has been perfect on release. Improvements are just imaginary I swear.

Chosonman

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2005
With 15 million subscribers how can anyone say PC gaming is dying when they never even looked at the numbers for steam purchases.

"PC gaming is thriving, and has evolved into an era of constant connectivity," said Gabe Newell, president of Valve. "That connectivity gives us the ability to have a much better relationship with customers, not just for delivering our games, but across all aspects of our business - including the design, development, and support of our games. Features like Guest Passes, Free Weekends, Gifting, and the Steam Community have been very well received both by customers and the developers who are using Steam. We are accelerating our release of new functionality in the next year as well as finding new ways to work with our partners such as the release of Steamworks, which allows them to bring the many benefits of Steam to their packaged products."

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I have Steam but don't really use it... installed it when I installed The Orange Box.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
I use it to and it is a good idea and system....

but about a year ago (which was 3-4 years after it was released) they lost power in Washington and people couldn't play games on Steam because you had to connect to their servers in order to play even single player games.

This was a really big oversight by them....

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I like Steam, I just wish the prices of some of their games were a bit more competitive...