15 mile gas bubble?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 23, 2000
It means nothing. It's coming out of the Gulf of Mexico. Mexico is responsible for more methane production than any other country as it is. Mexican food sure makes me produce methane.

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
I was reading something somewhere that cattle produces 80 million tons of methane a year or something?

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I was reading something somewhere that cattle produces 80 million tons of methane a year or something?

Yes, but greenhouse gases only matter if they come from factories or cars. Buy you a Hybrid for the drive-through at McDonalds and encourage more laws that force companies to spend millions on scrubbers for their trace carbon-footprints.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Clearly this is Obama's fault. Damn reparation making communist, tryin to redistribute our methane! Bah!

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
The article is kind of crazy, but a tsunami does travel around 600 mph in deep water, this is less than the speed of sound in water which is around 3,300 mph. They slow down significantly when they hit the continental shelf and eventually the beach.

I think the article is predicting not an explosion but rather the saturation levels of natural gas to reach a critical level in the near future. Theoretically this would instantly create a rather large natural gas bubble which would then instantly collapse creating a void. This collapse would create a tsunami of some sort.

My knowledge on fluid mechanics is rusty as can be, but I'm sure there is no reasonable possibility of a massive natural gas bubble coming out of saturation in the deep ocean.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
So something may or may not exist that may or may not explode and that explosion may or may not cause a tsunami.

Sounds like a lot of concrete evidence there.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
Well an explosion is impossible. I believe the original radio guest was predicting an implosion, but the article seemed to misinterpret it and turned it into a long discussion of "flammable gas".

I just don't remember enough from my fluid dynamic courses back in the day to calculate the feasibility of something like natural gas reaching a critical saturation point so far deep in the ocean. It seems impossible to me at a glance.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
There is methan in many different places under the ocean. It freezes into ice crystals and sinks to the bottom. There was a theory that if the ocean temps raise enough that the methane would become volatile. This theory may be more of a crock than truth.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
omgomgomgomgomgomg

WTH bbq!!

There is going to be a giant FIREBALL exploding in the gulf and it will catch all the oil on fire, too and 600 mph wave! HOLY FVCK. That is almost the speed of sound. A tidal wave at almost the speed of sound! You will only hear its roar moments before you are crashed against the oily rocks. It will thousands of miles inland not ebbing until it breaks apart the skyscrapers of Toronto and leaves nothing but a lake for what was once the US!

A huge wave lit on fire traveling 600 mph? The gulf is fucked!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I am suprised some of you idiots who believe that Obama is repsonsible for everything have not accused Obama of dragging his feet on the obvious energy bonanza this gas bubble represents....

Obama needs to get off his ass and do something about converting this gas bubble into usable energy....