14th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season Race: Final Stats.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
The race starts December 1, 12:00 UTC and ends January 1, 12:00 UTC

Here are the rules:

1: Have fun.
2: Let others have fun.
3: Crunch as much as you can, as often as you can and as efficiently as you can.
4: Assimilating computers, adding members to the teams, and borghing is allowed.
5: (Sid's rule) Whistle while you work; DON'T whistle while you sip.
6: (Sid's rule) No pouting.

Comment: Sid (Insidious) is a member of the TeAm. He has, unfortunately, not been active for quite a few years ... but we keep his two rules anyway.

Further points:
  • Please post in this thread if you intend to take part (see below for more info).
  • If you need help installing or running the F@H app go to: http://folding.stanford.edu/start-folding/ or ask for help here. The TeAm AnandTech number is 198.
  • If you don't have a passkey, get one here. If you have a passkey you'll get bonus points.
  • I'll put the sub-teams together one day before the race but the discussion about who will race against whom is open.
  • Please remember: joining and recruiting (as well as borghing, assimilating and upgrading hardware) is allowed and encouraged.
  • Once the race is started, I decide into which team the new members go.
  • Please follow your good sense and your employer's/friend's rules if you are considering to use computers which do not belong to you!
For those who want to participate:
Please post your forum name and your Folding@Home name in this thread and estimated PPD.
Please also indicate if you will participate for the full month or just part of the month. For example, there is a 10-day PrimeGrid GPU race in December.
I will compose the intra-race teams just before the start of the race December 1.

For the intra-race please propose two team-names.

Proposed team names:
TeAm1 and TeAm2
TAAT1 and TAAT2
thing1 and thing2
others?

I will post a poll to choose team names.

Enrolled participants (forum name - Folding@home name - Est. PPD - participation estimate (days or full month):
biodoc - biodoc - 5 million -full month
Orange Kid - OrangeKid - 1 million - full month
Pokey - Pokey_TA - 5.8 million - full month
StefanR5R - xii5ku - 3.5 million - full month
Markfw - Mark_F_Williams - 17.5 million - full month
VirtualLarry - VirtualLarry - 1.5 million - full month
Grumble_D - Grumble_D - 1.5 million - full month
TennesseeTony - 10esseetony - 4 million - full month
Howdy - Howdy2u2 - ?? - 10 days
lane42 - Lane42 - 4.5 million - 7 days
phoenicis -phoenicis - ?? - ??
Icecold -Icecold - ?? - full month
Daishiki - Daishi - 250K - full month
crashtech - crashtech - ?? - full month
petrusbroder - TAS-petrusbroder - 700K - part of month
JasonLD - JasonLD - 2 million - full month
wonderboyP8NT - wonderboyP8NT - 2 million - full month
emoga - emoga
salvorhardin - salvorhardin - 350K - full month
Ken_G6 - KenG6_ALL
geecee - geecee
Assimilator1 - [TAS]Assimilator1
ao_ika_red - Marcellius_Ika_Permadi

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
StefanR5R - xii5ku - 3.5 million - full month

PPD are tentative. After the WCG Birthday = during the last November week, I'll try to find out how much heating this place needs.

Reactions: biodoc

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I should be in, for the whole month, and my estimated PPD, well, that depends on whether or not F@H starts supporting the RX 5700 (RDNA arch.) cards from AMD before/during our race. I should have, at a minimum, 3x GTX 1660ti cards, which last time I tested (last month), were doing maybe 550K PPD? So probably, 1.5Mil PPD, at a minimum for me, hopefully? If RDNA/RX 5700 is supported, expect that number to climb quite a bit. Also, if I deploy some of my other PCs, undecided on that. Depends on how much heat I need this winter, and how cold it is outside. The GTX 1660ti cards only take maybe 120-140W ea., so not a huge amount of heating.

Edit: Oh yes, username VirtualLarry.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
@Grumble_D , I signed you up for this year's race. Let me know if that's ok and if so, do you have an estimate of PPD and if you plan on participating the full month.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Howdy, @Grumble_D !!! Great to have you, and stick around for all sorts of addictive (and bank account draining) fun in the upcoming months! :D

I am in, 10esseetony, PPD will be....uhm......3.6M, up to 4.5M depending on workunit. EDIT: Looks more like 8.5M ppd now that most things have been updated and tested.

Doc, you should also note the sub-race against [H]ardOCP the first week or so. Yeah!!!! :D

Last edited:

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
I shall be in for at the least the 10day race with [H], then split some with PG.

Howdy2u2 will be the user name

I have absolutely no clue for PPD, I haven't ran it since last year. Machines have changed and I don't even have F@H loaded on any of them. Which means I have to find my key, load the program and finish 10 WUs for the bonus points? Which covers all machines involved by user name?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I notice that quite a few people are joing with (A guess) about 3.5 million ppd each. Thats only about 5 people that would total my output, so I think we will need more then "just me against the world" this year.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I have absolutely no clue for PPD, I haven't ran it since last year. Machines have changed and I don't even have F@H loaded on any of them. Which means I have to find my key, load the program and finish 10 WUs for the bonus points? Which covers all machines involved by user name?

Here's a guide/database on GPU F@H PPD. Turing cards do very well on F@H. If you have used a passkey in the past and initially completed the 10 WUs to get the quick return bonus (QRB), you will get the bonus on any machine including new installs. Just make sure you put in the correct passkey and username.

I think we will need more then "just me against the world" this year.

Don't worry, I won't do that to you. :)

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
@biodoc Yeah I have looked at that chart before. The sample sizes are minimal and do not reflect the WUs that were ran. (IMO) I will do testing here in the time I have before the race. I need to load F@H anyway to the Linux machines- which for whatever reason gives me fits- even AFTER following the tutorials. I am not wanting to leave points off the board running Windows.Then again I also need to figure out my "split" of GPUs after the 10 day TeAm vs [H] race for the PG challenge. So basically I will have 2 PPD estimates to submit, 10 day PPD and month PPD. I'll run the 10days, split machines off and keep the ones on PG off the rest of the month challenge. That is probably going to make it difficult for the TeAm challenge though isn't it? Decisions, Decisions, Decisions, would be soooooo much easier if one of these was CPU LOL

I am open to suggestions though!

Last edited:

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
Have you ran any of the GFN 21 or 22s yet?? They are long tasks, just curious if you have some times on them?
Well I just updated ubuntu from 16.04 to 18.04 and nvidia drivers and no opencl
now. I see GFN 21 and 22 use OpenCL. I know there's an easy fix if someone
can help out.
edit, got it working. GFN 21 and 22 running. well see what it does on a 2080ti
and a 2060 Super.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howdy

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
lane42 - Lane42 - PPD?? - 7 days
lane42 I think......ill have to fire up F@H and see if the passkey works for lane42.
PPD depends if I use the x1 slots or not, they take a big hit unlike Seti.
4.5M ppd

phoenicis

Nov 26, 2017
I'm in but I'm not sure for how much or for which parts of the month. I'm going through some house remodelling that means I have to shut down everything whenever there's a risk of an electrician pulling the plug. It also means that I have naff all left to spend on any shiny new kit so I'm back off to the salt mines to earn some more pennies. Bit of a bummer but at least the wife is happy :rolleyes:

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
You have the 'ring circuit' powering the entire dwelling? With the fuses being in the plug? I kinda like the simplicity in that...except for the entire home needing to be disconnected for repairs/add-ons.

phoenicis

Nov 26, 2017
You have the 'ring circuit' powering the entire dwelling? With the fuses being in the plug? I kinda like the simplicity in that...except for the entire home needing to be disconnected for repairs/add-ons.

There are indeed fuses in every plug in the UK, but no, the electrician installed a new 14 way/zone fuse board to accommodate the various changes to the home. It was a little alarming to learn that the new induction hob needs an almost 12 KW supply on it's own:eek:.

My conservative approach to powering down rigs is driven by my nervousness towards which part of the house will go down on a particular day whilst I'm working away from home. If the wife tells me that an electrician will be there at all on any day, I power down. If I'm told that any of the tradesmen are working anywhere near any pc, I'll power it down. I'm a complete and utter coward when it comes to my DC babies :)

Reactions: TennesseeTony