theGlove

Jan 13, 2005
nothing wrong with the cheaper ones that go for like $10 if you are going ot mix it with coke or something

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001

I prefer scotch to bourbon, you'll probably want to try a few of each to figure out what you like (bourbons tend to be sweeter). Agree with the above post that Makers is a good bourbon, though.

But for scotch, I prefer single malts to blends (Johnny Walker is a blend). Single malts will cost you though, you probably won't find a good one in your price range.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
A good bourbon that is at the tip of your budget is Woodford Reserve. Perhaps the best bourbon you can get for that money. ($35)
A good scotch at the price would be Glenlivet 12, Glenfiddich 12. ($35)
I like Crown Royal for any mixed whiskey drink. ($35 for 1.75L)

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Black label is decent scotch. I'd also recommend you try some rye/canadian whisky. You can get some pretty good ryes for that money. Crown Royal is good, and they have varying grades as well. Wisers Very Old is also one of my favourites.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I'm liking the suggestions folks, keep 'em coming! :thumbsup: :)

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Spartan Niner
Calling all WHISKEY lovers:

What is/are your preference(s) and why?

I'm a college student of age and am interested in trying out some other kinds besides Jim Beam 8yr Black label...

Basically, I'm looking for the best whisky/whiskey I can get at a reasonable price (~$25 +- $10) for 750mL or so. One of my friends tells me Johnnie Walker 12yr Black label is a good bet, any other options?

I'll say that the Johnnie Walker blends nearly swore me off of Scotch, so take this with a grain of salt (or a splash of water and some ice). It might just be that I don't like blends, but I've had JW White, Red, Black, and Blue. I don't care for any of them, really.

At $35, Macallan 10 year (I think its called oak cask, and doesnt come in a tube) is a sure bet.

Glenlivet 12 year is around the same price too.

Honestly though, you're in college and you want some cheap drinkable whiskey? Seagram's VO always tasted pretty good to me. I'm gainfully employed and still keep a bottle around along with Macallan 10 and Glenfiddich 15 ($45, but worth a taste sometime). It's like $12 for a 750ml, meaning you can get a 30 of Beast to go along with it :)

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Tiamat
A good bourbon that is at the tip of your budget is Woodford Reserve. Perhaps the best bourbon you can get for that money. ($35)

Looks like we have similar taste, so I'll have to try the Woodford. Thanks!

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001

Where do you live? IIRC, the Glens are a bit more expensive than that here.

<---jealous.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: sjwaste

Looks like we have similar taste, so I'll have to try the Woodford. Thanks!

bourbon is a complete different animal than normal whiskeys. I didnt like them at first, but am starting to be able to appreciate the flavors. If you like makers mark, you will definitely like woodford. Another one is Knob Creek, complete different animal, barely in the price range.

Bookers is a 55$ cask strength (126+) bourbon that will get your brain dancing almost immediately.

I didn't like Elijah Craig bourbons (the lowest two) though... but worth a try to see if those flavors are something you are interested in.

OP, if you are getting started and not sure of your tastes, I would pick up Crown Royal, Makers Mark, to start with ($20 750mL) just so that you dont burn you money on something that you would never have cared for in the first place.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Gibsons

<---jealous.

I'm in Boston, but I get this price at the local Shaw's supermarket. On sale, they dip to 30$. Unfortunately, there is no Glenfiddich 18 for a reasonable price. Best I have seen is 85$ which I disagree with. Its a great scotch, but not when the 15 goes for 48$

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07
Jack Daniels.

A bourbon is a whiskey, a whiskey is not a bourbon.

that is the one whiskey that I just could never like. I don't know why. I haven't tried Gentlemen's or Single barrel yet though...

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Gibsons

<---jealous.

I'm in Boston, but I get this price at the local Shaw's supermarket. On sale, they dip to 30$. Unfortunately, there is no Glenfiddich 18 for a reasonable price. Best I have seen is 85$ which I disagree with. Its a great scotch, but not when the 15 goes for 48$

I'm in Northern VA and Glenfiddich 15 is about $45, but the 18 is about 70. Still, the jump from 12 - 15 is huge, whereas 15 to 18 just isnt justifiable. The 18 is a little bit sweeter to me, but not really $25 better. Glenfiddich 15 is probably the one constant in our cabinet here, though, it's really the best scotch for the money (at least what's available here).

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Jack Daniels.

that is the one whiskey that I just could never like. I don't know why. I haven't tried Gentlemen's or Single barrel yet though...

It's a personal preference, sweet it is not. You're probably tasting the charcoal filtering/sour mash.

Then again, I do live in KY. ;) No shortage of bourbon whiskey here and yet I prefer a tennesse whiskey.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Jack Daniels.

It's a personal preference, sweet it is not. You're probably tasting the charcoal filtering/sour mash.

Then again, I do live in KY. ;) No shortage of bourbon whiskey here and yet I prefer a tennesse whiskey.

I dont know the words, but there is a sharp taste in the JD as opposed to the more mellow, smoother flavor of the woodford or makers mark, or even crown royal. Perhaps that sharp taste is due to the lincoln county process.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
Maker's Mark is a good one to have on had as your "staple" every day drinkin whiskey.

Change it up occasionally with Bushmill's Irish Whiskey (love this stuff), Crowne Royal is ok, and for those special occasions get a good 12-18 year old Scotch. Sams Club sells 1L 12 year Glenlivets for ~$33

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
Another vote for Maker's. Knob creek is pretty good.

Scotch: The Glenlevit is a good basic 12 yr.