144hz refresh question

elkido122

Jan 10, 2015
i have an acer monitor that supports 144hz refresh rate. It only has a dual link dvi input though. Will dual link be ok for 144hz refresh and 144fps and or above on the fps side?? this is at 1080p thanks

legcramp

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
It should be fine if it's the only input for that monitor and it's rated for 144hz.

akmaggot666

Apr 14, 2013
what if my fps is over 144? still ok ?
I am a noob, but I research quiet a lot.
edit:

anything above or below the refresh rate of ur monitor can cause screen tearing, so if u have 60Hz monitor u want ur fps at 60 stable, with 144Hz it occurs less and is less noticable but u still want it at 144Hz. Vsync is supposed to lock ur fps to ur screens refresh rate.
but it's obviously wont work right if u have 144Hz monitor and rig that can't reach 144fps, same with 60.
where, amd freesync and gsync work from 30-144Hz, so u should get less stutter even at lower fps

now, how better gsync is than amd freesync, and if both of those give better "something" than vsync if u have 144Hz and 144fps+, no idea, and hard to find answers to those, if u find any let me know about it.

for more about freesync and gsync..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ey-KObDABI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fghQh0Y4oA4

also the input lag from mouse/keyboard is different with gsync and amd freesync with vsync on and off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzHxhjcE0eQ
and weird results ;D
but that's a older vid, reading further forums from older to newer, apparently ppl realized that capping a bit lower fps than actual framerate of monitor caused less input lag with G-sync, and apparently newer gpu's lock ur frame rate to 143.something if ur monitor is 144Hz for example, I will find that soon enough when I get my new monitor and gpu

nvidias gsync vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT8f_1oRsLU

here they show that
vsync off causes tearing
vsync on causes stuttering
and that gsync is perfect

but the question is, do you get stuttering with vsync on if you never drop the FPS below the framerate of ur monitor?
did they drop the framerate to get stutter?
that's my question here

this guy sums it up well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4yklM3W29k

Last edited:

akmaggot666

Apr 14, 2013
I found this post from someone on a forum and it alligns with the video of g-sync explanation of nvidia:

"Tearing" in PC games occurs when your GPU is putting out frames faster OR slower than your monitor's refresh rate. If you have a 144hz monitor, that means your monitor is refreshing the image on the screen 144 times per second. If your GPU is only putting out 100FPS, that means your monitor is refreshing nearly 1.5 times for every frame sent form the GPU. This causes the image to tear because they are not synced so you will see a portion of one frame sent form the GPU and a portion of another frame from the GPU on the screen at the same time. This same phenomenon occurs when you have a slower monitor refresh rate and your GPU is sending frames faster than the monitor refreshes - just backwards.

No GPU will ever output the same framerate throughout an entire game session because as you move in game or more things happen in the game, your FPS will rise and fall based on how hard or easy it is to render what is happening in the game. Meanwhile, your monitor refresh rate stays constant.

What GSYNC does is this: It gives the GPU control over when your monitor refreshes so your monitors refresh rate becomes dynamic, as opposed to static. As your GPU produces a frame, it is sent to your Monitor. When the frame is received, the monitor refreshes the on screen image. So, regardless of how fast or slow (as long as it is above 30 fps) your GPU is able to render images, the product on the screen is buttery smooth with no tearing because 1 Frame Rendered = 1 Image Refresh on the monitor. Simply, GSYNC doesn't allow an overlap between the monitor's refresh rate and the frames sent from the GPU because the monitor only refreshes as it receives a frame from the GPU.

So to answer your question, YES there is a difference between a 144hz monitor with and without GSync. If your monitor does not have GSync and your GPU is unable to produce 144FPS, you will notice tearing. While the tearing won't be as pronounced on a 144hz monitor as it would be on a 60hz monitor because the image stays on the screen for a shorter amount of time, it will still be there.

akmaggot666

Apr 14, 2013
but if u watch some gsync vs vsync vs no sync videos, u can't really see the difference that easy...
At least I couldn't, I never noticed it, using from super old 60Hz to a 144Hz display..
this is how a extreme case would look like:

most likely cuz it's below 60 FPS and probably on a 60Hz monitor, on 144Hz monitor it wont be as noticable and I play at 144Hz and changed gpus recently that gave me from 80-100 fps 100-130 fps 180-200 and didnt see any tearing, or at least notice it.

could g-sync give me less tearing that, probably, would I notice it, maybe but hardly..