13th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season race

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What names should we use for the race?

• Cancerkillers vs Tumorerasers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beowolf vs Grendel

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Curesadors vs Tumornadors

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Markfw vs EveryOneElse

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Limericks. vs Haikus

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I considered simulating powder diffraction patterns of the nanocrystalline phase of various materials this evening again, as has become customary for some of us every other Saturday. But...
adding two more during the nighttime (1080 and 1070)
...necessarily, I gotta stay focused on folding proteins instead.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I considered simulating powder diffraction patterns of the nanocrystalline phase of various materials this evening again, as has become customary for some of us every other Saturday. But...

...necessarily, I gotta stay focused on folding proteins instead.
Also, it's the other every other Saturday. ;)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Yep, it's gonna be a close one. It looks like ElFenix is going to pass me today. He's movin'!
i've probably been playing too much battletech for that to have happened

I have to say these new PSUs you showed earlier here have really increased your daily output. :p

We are pretty much neck and neck with daily output, and I have been running two of my GPUs 24/7 (1080ti and 1070ti), and adding two more during the nighttime (1080 and 1070).

the 550 isn't powering anything right now. i did have it powering a 290, but then i got the 750 so now that's powering a couple of hawaiis. it's a good thing it's winter. the 750 will eventually replace the ancient corsair hx520 i've currently got in my server. the 550 will replace whatever garbage corsair cx-m i have in my itx box currently. the hawaiis are generally faster than my 1060s, but at twice the power cost. :eek:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
the 550 isn't powering anything right now. i did have it powering a 290, but then i got the 750 so now that's powering a couple of hawaiis. it's a good thing it's winter. the 750 will eventually replace the ancient corsair hx520 i've currently got in my server. the 550 will replace whatever garbage corsair cx-m i have in my itx box currently. the hawaiis are generally faster than my 1060s, but at twice the power cost. :eek:

Yeah, hopefully AMD's next GPUs will be a little more power efficient. They've basically thrown in the towel for any kind of efficiency for their last several GPU launches. When Vega 64 launched and I first saw the reviews, I was shocked. Those things could be used as space heaters. A 850w PSU recommended for just one GPU? Craziness! :oops:

I have a 10% coupon at Best Buy for my birthday month, so I was really tempted to grab the RTX 2070 Founders Edition to increase my output by another million or so a day, but I bought more Star Wars toys instead. :p

Reactions: TennesseeTony

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
December 30, 12:00 UTC stats:

standings.pngproduction.png

m+m.pngato.png

Mark&Mods increased their latest 24 hours output to 32.2 M, up from 31.3 M yesterday (plus ~33 M increase from retroactive restructuring). But All the others managed to increase their output too, to 35.4 M, up from 33.3 M yesterday (minus those ~33 M).

This looks like turning into a real nail-biter. Apparently the team which gets the fewer project 14124 WUs is going to win this one.

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
December 30, 12:00 UTC stats:

This looks like turning into a real nail-biter. Apparently the team which gets the fewer project 14124 WUs is going to win this one.

Well, I was going to start up another GPU BUT since it should be a "nail biter" I will leave my system as is. I am a little lower in PPD than I predicted, I will attribute it to the damn 14124s...........I am unfortunately fully loaded on those lovely WUs.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Apparently the team which gets the fewer project 14124 WUs is going to win this one.

Well, I was going to start up another GPU BUT since it should be a "nail biter" I will leave my system as is. I am a little lower in PPD than I predicted, I will attribute it to the damn 14124s...........I am unfortunately fully loaded on those lovely WUs.

I've also been rocking the awesome project 14124 here all day so far as well. :eek:

It knocks my 1080ti down about 150k points per day when I have a heavy dose of the project.

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
I'm guessing the 14124 is going to be the new normal from now on when the other projects complete. I remember back in the 480 GPU days they would have some that made those cards seem to throw flames out the back they were so hot. They were bad enough you could fry eggs on them to begin with!! Then again people would raise heck and (when F@H would listen) they would revise the WUs.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'm guessing the 14124 is going to be the new normal from now on when the other projects complete. I remember back in the 480 GPU days they would have some that made those cards seem to throw flames out the back they were so hot. They were bad enough you could fry eggs on them to begin with!! Then again people would raise heck and (when F@H would listen) they would revise the WUs.

I hope they do listen. I know I haven't been doing Folding for very long (about a year now), but when I first cranked my production up, I was clearing 1000+ (highest was 1400) work units a month, and now with my 2nd highest point total during a month, I've only cleared 629 work units.

5.jpg

I don't might doing the large units, but they shouldn't really penalize us with less points because they are making them so much larger. Just my opinion of course. :)

Reactions: IEC and Markfw

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I just messed around with trying to get my old HD5850 up and folding on Linux Mint...uh, no joy, but it was fun to goof around.

I was hoping the extra PPD would help, but it seems that the GPU is far too legacy for Linux and F@H. I bet it would only crunch a few thousand PPD at this point.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Mark&Mods stepped up their game.
Less than 24 hours more to go!

Well, I can step up my game too. Sorta. Ok CPUs, let's see what you've got! EDIT: About 600k ppd, apparently, for 106 threads.

EDIT 2: Hmm, mixing in an unused, ready to ship 1080 with a 1070.....well that was easy....another 700k or so before the deadline....

CSRB8vrWwAAdS_g[1].jpg

Last edited:

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I just messed around with trying to get my old HD5850 up and folding on Linux Mint...uh, no joy, but it was fun to goof around.

I was hoping the extra PPD would help, but it seems that the GPU is far too legacy for Linux and F@H. I bet it would only crunch a few thousand PPD at this point.
I can see a few tiny results you seem to have sent in. :)

I was also wondering about the times when your main machine seems to fail to complete work. Are you doing other stuff, or is it erroring out, perhaps from too high an overclock on the GPU? The first time I overclocked my GPU I got errors. If it's not you pausing F@H to do more important stuff, check your logs for errors.

Reactions: Modular

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My output may have been down slightly last night, I paused my single RX 470 board and Ryzen R5 1600 CPU (10 CPU threads) from Folding, to let it finish up the WUs, so that I could remove the card and box it up, which I didn't end up doing until this morning when I woke up. So I just got back from the Post Office and an appt., and plugged in a fresh new (mining edition) Sapphire RX 470 4GB in its place, which is now Folding again, whew. (Unfortunately, I have it hooked up to a 4K UHD 40" display, and ... the card only has a single DVI-D port, which I've attached an ATI-branded DVI-D to HDMI adapter, and the Windows driver is only giving me 1080P60, not 4K30, for some reason. Grr.)

And then I discovered, my other main rig, wasn't running Folding, because I must have rebooted it last night a few times testing things, and probably forgot to re-start Folding. I don't have it set to auto-start on this box.

But now its started again.

So, basically, back up to full strength, for the finish of this race. Race on!

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I can see a few tiny results you seem to have sent in. :)

I was also wondering about the times when your main machine seems to fail to complete work. Are you doing other stuff, or is it erroring out, perhaps from too high an overclock on the GPU? The first time I overclocked my GPU I got errors. If it's not you pausing F@H to do more important stuff, check your logs for errors.

Hey, thanks for checking that out! I pause the GPU folding when I game or when my kids play games. There were some issues last night - I made the mistake of updating my nVidia drivers...I don't know why haha! It caused quite the headache and I eventually had to reinstall the old driver version and reinstall the F@H client. Just for kicks, once I got it up and running again it gave me a 6 hour mega-wu to chomp on!

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK< out of 17 video cards, 12 of them have 14124 units, and total ppd is down from 20 million to 16.5 million. Not a good way to end the race.

Reactions: Modular

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
OK< out of 17 video cards, 12 of them have 14124 units, and total ppd is down from 20 million to 16.5 million. Not a good way to end the race.

I keep getting them too! 3:45 to go on one more haha!

Edit: that's 3 HOURS and 45 minutes. And I'm 30% done already. BRUTAL.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
14123 on CPU sucks worse, 14 hours or so with 8 threads.

Just 12+ hours remaining! Best of luck everyone, and remember, even though the Rest of Us are gonna kick your arse's, it's all for ScIeNcE!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Same here on my PCs with the 14124 project all day.

This project is brutal. Maybe it's there way of getting all of use to replace our current GPUs with RTX 2080ti cards. Each project probably "only" takes 4 hours each with that $1200 card, although I've heard if we go with the Titan RTX cards for $2500, it drops the time down to 3 1/2 hours. ;)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'm not running the AC yet here in NC, but it is warm with like 100% humidity. I was driving just a bit ago, and even though it's not raining, I had to use my wipers because of the thick humidity. The last several days it really feels like it's springtime here.

But after all that freezing rain that brought down a lot of trees here a few weeks back, I'll take this weather over that any day. :)

Reactions: TennesseeTony

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
inopportune power failure (not that there's an opportune power failure) killed about 2 hours of production. thought it was a little bit *quiet* in here