13th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season race

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What names should we use for the race?

• Cancerkillers vs Tumorerasers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beowolf vs Grendel

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Curesadors vs Tumornadors

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Markfw vs EveryOneElse

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Limericks. vs Haikus

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
hitting the pause button for gaming really eats into the production (especially since it pauses both GPUs). what's really bad is forgetting to unpause afterward :(

Ha, exactly! I was looking into running a rig similar to LinusTech's 2 gamers 1 CPU for folding, but my 4770k doesn't support the necessary PCI bus passthrough unfortunately.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
hitting the pause button for gaming really eats into the production (especially since it pauses both GPUs). what's really bad is forgetting to unpause afterward :(

Yes it does.

I haven't been gaming much during the competition, my problem is I keep getting 5-6 hour projects (even for my GTX 1080ti). If the project happens to be on my kid's PCs, I have to pause it when they are ready to use their PCs, and that can be most of the day before they go to bed. By that time, the early return bonus is next to nothing. I can convince them to do something else for 2 hours for the normal length projects, but they aren't buying the "I just need you to not game on your PC for around 6 hours". :p

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I am at 18. I even gave away 2, since they only had quad-core 8 thread Xeons

I'm a little lower than that number with 4 desktops.

My wife already nags me now about having too many PCs, so I don't think I will ever get to 18............unless I want to be single again. :p

Reactions: Assimilator1

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I'm a little lower than that number with 4 desktops.

My wife already nags me now about having too many PCs, so I don't think I will ever get to 18............unless I want to be single again. :p
Well, I know what you mean. Post surgery, I had my ex-sister-in-law here helping out, and she got mad, since she could not find a place to plug in the vacuum without blowing breakers.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Well, I know what you mean. Post surgery, I had my ex-sister-in-law here helping out, and she got mad, since she could not find a place to plug in the vacuum without blowing breakers.

Funny thing is, when I lived in Ohio growing up, the local drug task-force was known to use thermal imaging from a helicopter, or review a location's power bills to bust up marijuana growers.

It's a good thing you don't live there, or your house would probably be raided once a week with your heat and power usage! :p

Reactions: Markfw

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Funny thing is, when I lived in Ohio growing up, the local drug task-force was known to use thermal imaging from a helicopter, or review a location's power bills to bust up marijuana growers.

It's a good thing you don't live there, or your house would probably be raided once a week with your heat and power usage! :p
I am on Oregon, where pot is legal, although I never touch the stuff.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
OK, dAer racers, here are the stats for December 19, 2018:

The racers' numbers:

FH-Race-2018-dec19-001.PNG

The teams' daily production:

FH-Race-2018-dec19-002.PNG

Now the "Marks&Mods"-team has passed "All-the-Others" ... probably due to the PrimeGrid-race ... when Mark continued to fold, but quite a few of"All-the-others" switched over ...
Let us see what happens after the PG-race is over ... I think I will have to resructure the teams befor the final leg of the holiday-season-race ... hmmm.

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
[M&M] Diseases have no fury like the "others" scorned when this PG hell ends its reign on our equipment...........................

Reactions: TennesseeTony

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Some of the "All-the-others" will return to Folding with a bit more ppd I think...... The "Marks&Mods" are doomed. <[;-)= <---that's a winking Santa with beard ...

Ho ho ho... them's fightin' words. :p

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
handbrake also really eats GPU performance (even though handbrake never seems to use more than about 60% CPU time on a 1700x).

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Santa will be bringing me a few more gifts after Christmas... stay tuned ;)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Thanks for the stats Petrus :)

Well seeing as 'all the others' are going to be letting rip soon, I won't shut down my 2nd rig, yes fear my HD 7870 XT developers sample! :p

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
@petrusbroder,
I finally made a copy of your starting points, and copy-&-pasted data from EOC as a test.

4NJmJ3Z.png

I have a small difference in cell D5 (Ken g6's current points) - number ends in 22 instead of 33.

E0dsHuG.png

The difference of 11 points from the previous table changes the respective cells here.
Also, the averages in cells M37 and O37 differ a bit from your table.

A6AMpeV.png

Eab5iIm.png

If you want, I could continue to post daily stats from now on. A question would be at which time of day I should fetch data from EOC. I suppose the time of day doesn't matter much, just that a ~24 h schedule would be good to see changes from day to day. (We started at 18:00 UTC on Dec 1 but will finish at 12:00 UTC on Jan 1, so one of these times may be ideal.)

I will be traveling on December 26 - 28 myself. I could fetch stats data from EOC automatically on these days, but won't post the stats tables until after I return.

What do you think?

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Dear TeAm-mates, I do apologize for withdrawing (temporarily I hope) from the annual Folding at Home event. First I felt compelled to give something to PG, (which is usually only a 3 day Sieve event), and now Einstein is giving out 10x credit or better. If nothing else, I will fold later during the winter months....if Einstein ever stops these short tasks... :p I am determined, at the very least, to earn my Billionaire rank at Folding this winter season.

brownstone

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2008
Wait a minute...stats from a beach in New Zealand...? You sir are dedicated! I salute you.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I'll go ahead and will be tracking stats daily at the 12:00 UTC point. (I am relying on folding.extreme.overclocking.com, not directly on foldingathome.org's original stats.)

Current standings of the racers and the teams:

7WX4E4E.png

The teams' production history:

TUNxr8X.png

All the others are now about a day worth of production behind Mark&Mods, or >2 % of the combined production. Mark&Mods are currently moving 1.42 times as fast as All the others. :fearscream: And yet PrimeGrid provides diversion for another 1⅓ days...

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Thanks for the stats Stefan :)

Grrr, my 2nd rig BSOD last night, I don't know why, if it does it again I will have to run some stress testing programs on it, which of course means no F@H!

It's OK to be intimidated going up against the moderator team, and instead deciding to drop out. We've been known to strike fear into the hearts of those who dare defy our awesomeness. :p
Lol :D

Markfw

May 16, 2002
It's OK to be intimidated going up against the moderator team, and instead deciding to drop out. We've been known to strike fear into the hearts of those who dare defy our awesomeness. :p
Well, as you can see by my PPD, it was going to be me against everyone else, but when they stepped up, and had too many points, I went for help ! Thanks fellow mods !