"13 Years of Nvidia"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
Some people did consider the X1800 a failure. Why? it was many months late, and when it was released it only performed around 5% faster than the 7800GTX 256mb overall. Adding insult to injury it was quickly replaced by the R580.

Not to mention it led to their slide in marketshare (and value) that eventually led to the company being bought out.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: dalearyous
PICTURE 9 is definitely medal of honor
The map display and scoreboard are pretty distinctive and point it to being a Battlefield game. Anyways, I already pulled up some screenshots to check, after uclaLabrat agreed that it was Battlefield 1942.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
12. is Max Payne 2, not 1.

the voice actor for "Timmy" was Rob Paulson who later went on to become "Pinky" in "Pinky & The Brain".

I could be wrong, but I remember Pinky and the Brain from an earlier point in my child hood than Giants.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Originally posted by: Fox5
12. is Max Payne 2, not 1.

I agree his face is not as angular and square as it was in Max Payne 1.

Originally posted by: AmberClad

2: Quake <it's Quake II, according to HOOFan1

I spent MANY MANY hours playing Quake 2 DM and Quake 2 Lithium DM in college....mostly on an old server called Yoda's Barn....and believe it or not, mostly with Virginia Tech students.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: thilan29
Originally posted by: Zap
the 5800 didn't perform very well against the 9700pro.

How did the FX 5800 fare against the Geforce 4 Ti 4600 that it replaced?

I think it did better than the GF4.

So calling something a "failure" is because it doesn't meet the expectations of the enthusiast by stomping over both previous models and other brands?

O I C

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
the 5800 didn't perform very well against the 9700pro.

How did the FX 5800 fare against the Geforce 4 Ti 4600 that it replaced?

I think it did better than the GF4.

So calling something a "failure" is because it doesn't meet the expectations of the enthusiast by stomping over both previous models and other brands?

O I C

If you read my quote, I didn't call the 5800 an outright failure...just that it didn't perform well against the 9700 at the time. Sorry my original post might seem like I'm calling it a failure but I never paid much attention to the Geforce 5 series so I don't know much about them. I think besides me there's already many other people who would consider that card a failure (it was mentioned by Marty502 in his post FIRST)...I just mentioned the card since it was the card mentioned for the comparison in his post.

All I was trying to say was that I didn't consider the x1800 a failure because it performed fairly well, although it was late. Now if it was very late, performed worse, and was fairly expensive then I'd consider it a failure (ie. 2900).

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002

Also, when the GeForce FX 5800/5800 Ultra came out it was the 1st card to have a leaf-blower as a cooler. You could find all kinds of comical cartoons about it all over the place!:)

Mr Fox

Sep 24, 2006