Question 12V 2A DC adapter dying

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
It gets very hot and the mini PC will shutdown suddenly.

Can I use 12V molex adapter from main PC connected to the round plug to power it?

I'm running the mini PC at the same time with the main PC anyway. Is it safe / stable / no spike current or voltage?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I use a USB-C to 2.5*5.5 for my laptop as a travel backup. Cables go for $10-15 and then pick a 100w charger with the right voltage.

I did the same with my 5G gateway but that took, a little more effort and a power meter due to it listing 3 power options on the label that don't come close to the actual power draw of 5w@15v.

I would bo looking at the mini PC label to make sure 12/2 is enough if you're getting that hot to force a shutdown. Molex to pin might be an option but, not a suggestion as you might burnout both systems. 24w seems a bit low.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It gets very hot and the mini PC will shutdown suddenly.

Can I use 12V molex adapter from main PC connected to the round plug to power it?

I'm running the mini PC at the same time with the main PC anyway. Is it safe / stable / no spike current or voltage?

Ground loop would be the main concern.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Yes you can do that, I run a few external HDDs this way. If you get a new adapter, get a major brand, not some generic chinese junk.

However I am not clear on your goal. You wrote it gets very hot and the miniPC shuts down. You attribute this to a failing power supply? It is likely that if the power supply is still working (producing 12V not safety shutdown) that it has failing capacitor(s). It might be a good test to see if the miniPC runs stably from a molex to barrel plug adapter and go from there... if you already have or have parts to make one, rather than having to decide right now which widget to buy.

At that point, I replace the capacitors and if I have the time, also put the adapter upper casing on a drill press and put in rows of vent holes, then cement it back onto the bottom if it was a plastic welded design that had to be cracked open instead of having screws holding it together. I usually use Panasonic FS or FR series caps from Digikey.

Ultimately, a decent ATX PSU is going to run with 2A more load, for more years than a little 2A/3A AC-DC adapter will. They just don't design them to last long term, being completely sealed so heat does build up if ran at even half the rated current.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The mini PC came with a 12V x 2A adapter. Probably 5 years now.

Think I'll just buy a 12V x 3A adapter.

You can always go higher, as most adapters that size are very efficient anyhow, and the higher rated one would run cooler.
I tend to prefer using 12V 5A bricks as they usually have a ground pin, and i think overall they are just made better.

Ground loop would be the main concern.

Well that's if the original adapter he has had a ground.
I can't think of many 12V 2A DC power adapters that have a ground pin on the jack to begin with.

Reactions: mxnerd

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You can always go higher, as most adapters that size are very efficient anyhow, and the higher rated one would run cooler.
I tend to prefer using 12V 5A bricks as they usually have a ground pin, and i think overall they are just made better.

I can't think of many 12V 2A DC power adapters that have a ground pin on the jack to begin with.

I have switching 12vdc power supply that have detachable power cable that are 3 prong.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001

I took it to imply the opposite, that since a typical wall wart adapter has no earth pin, and has a floating negative rail without reference to the PC's ground, there would be no ground loop.

On the other hand, if the miniPC gets its power from the PC's power supply, then it has a reference to the PC's ground but also a loop from the data connection ground. I just don't think it will matter for a digital connection, nearly as much as it might for signal level analog audio.

A higher current power brick is the better longevity option, but I hate to have the extra space taken up by those, when up to 3A is usually in a wall wart form factor so just gets put among other things in the AC power strip. Granted this may also mean you need a larger power strip or the outlets spaced out more.

Getting power from the PC PSU relieves this, just a thin wire coming out the back of the PC case.

Last edited: