Info 12th BOINC Pentathlon 2021

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bwoochowski

Mar 25, 2004
@Icecold

I have it set to generic, all the other parameters I configured got applied.

What do you typically see for GPU utilization in E@H? Mine fluctuate between 30 and 80%. Takes about 35 minutes to finish one GW WU.

Forgot to add that I had selected to only use AMD GPUs:
0.9 CPUs + 1 AMD/ATI GPU

bwoochowski

Mar 25, 2004
Could it be a new member thing? Maybe I need to hit a certain threshold in verified units before I can get different WUs? Currently have 7 waiting and 0 verified.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
boinc on my Fedora box does not detect my GPU. Never really noticed before since I've been using it for F@H which works fine. So... what do I do to tell boinc that I actually have a GPU in the box?

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Did F@h run only the OpenCL application, or was it able to run its CUDA application too?

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Did F@h run only the OpenCL application, or was it able to run its CUDA application too?
F@H runs Cuda WUs - runs about 2.4M ppd.

Boinc sees the drivers - the startup log shows something roughly like “NVIDIA GPU drivers found, but no usable GPUs”.

for now I’ve restarted F@H. I googled this last year now that I look at my search history and got nowhere:)

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
@Icecold

I have it set to generic, all the other parameters I configured got applied.

What do you typically see for GPU utilization in E@H? Mine fluctuate between 30 and 80%. Takes about 35 minutes to finish one GW WU.

Forgot to add that I had selected to only use AMD GPUs:
0.9 CPUs + 1 AMD/ATI GPU
I'm generally seeing 98-100% utilization. That's running the Gamma-ray Pulsar Binary Search #1 WU's, but 2 of them at a time. It looks like it's pretty close to 8 minutes task time(but 2 are running in that 8 minutes). A single task runs a bit under 5 minutes.

Reactions: bwoochowski

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Crayon eater here. Oh, correct that, Cellarnoise2. Please keep info of all kinds coming. I am learning. Details such as what to do post twice. :) I need to get an easy time shift task tracker here. Time is hard.

I probably with my limited hardware and human abilities will and should just focus on Sidock.... I had an old lappy running the specific WCG tasks, and turned out I uploaded my puny bunker at the wrong time and it was probably the bratworstest puter to process these tasks.....

Still learning at the expense of electricity and planet. :)

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I have not updated my WCG config, I will just let it run all projects I guess. I have 500 total threads on WCG, and a fair amount on MBIP

• Wow
Reactions: TennesseeTony

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Attention all TeAm Members....message me for a link to our private communications area.

Attention all non-TeAm members....we have a public section too, some good info, message me.

Attention @VietOZ , I lubz yew and I missus yew!

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
I have not updated my WCG config, I will just let it run all projects I guess. I have 500 total threads on WCG, and a fair amount on MBIP

It takes like 30 seconds to only select MIP in your preferences.

Unless the stats are updating.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
It takes like 30 seconds to only select MIP in your preferences.

Unless the stats are updating.
Done... But are the javalin throws like a 1 day event ?

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Yes, Javelin's are short time frame with like a day in between. You have to stay on top of them and then adjust for your time zone as I am learning in between slick fiber intake. Or else you eat crayons and drop your bunker or tasks after everyone has left the field.

I used to throw javelin and once "did" track events in my high school days. Before crayons.... So showing up at the field in the middle of the night and throwing into the wind for no-one is embarrassing .... :) Where is the wax? Hungry...

• Haha
Reactions: Fardringle

bwoochowski

Mar 25, 2004
After a little tweaking one PPS Sieve WU now takes about ~ 310 seconds, not great but better. Also, after completing a few more E@H WUs several FGRP WUs got downloaded.

If anyone else is having issues with contention between cmdock and pps sieve/e@h on Linux I used these commands to set the affinity and it keeps the GPU jobs well fed:

Bash:
#!/bin/bash
#Set affinity for cmdock
core=0; for pid in $(ps -u boinc -o pid,cmd r | grep 'build/cmdock' | awk '{printf "%s ", $1}');
    do taskset -apc "$core" "$pid" && core=$((core+1));
done

#Set affinity for PPS Sieve
for pid in $(ps -u boinc pid,cmd | grep tpsieveOCL | awk '{printf "%s ", $1}');
    do taskset -apc "$core" "$pid" && core=$((core+1));
done

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
…to get any queued MCM/ OPN etc. completed before the MIP event, is what @Skillz is referring to.

On small and medium hosts which can queue work for more than a day, you can also
  • switch the web preferences to MIP exclusive,
  • increase the client's buffer to something like 2 days and thus pull in >1 day worth of MIP work,
  • then manually suspend each MCM/ OPN/ etc. work at the beginning of the MIP event,
  • resume this other work after the event.
This is going to work only with a sufficient work buffer size, because the client will not request new work as long as some tasks are suspended. On a host with many threads, perhaps anything with 64 or more threads, may be unable to have a >1 day deep buffer of MIP work since the tasks aren't very large.

Or you could also abort + report MCN/ OPN/ work which you haven't started yet, if there are not very many of them queued in the client.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, 271 MIP tasks running, and queue is full.

and 533 sidock threads going. 5 computers turned off due to heat, 2 2990wx's, 2 3900x's and a 1950x threadripper, or 144 idle.

Last edited:

bwoochowski

Mar 25, 2004
Both of my 1950s will also be idling for the afternoon as it's forecast to hit the upper 90s. Have a bunch of PPS Sieve WUs ready to drop at 0z.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I am managing the cooling by means of open windows, as usual. Granted, temperatures are rather low here for now, lower than I recall from other Pentathlons. And until today, strong wind helped to carry waste heat out of the apartment too.

For the rest of the Pentathlon, my apartment will be filled with the scent from a large lilac bush which lives right outside my living room. :-)

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Pending validation/verification? If yes, then yes, that's normal. You've gotta wait for your wingman to return his/her result to get it validated.

Reactions: bwoochowski