Question 12th/13th-gen fakes on the market [GN]

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
This fraud probably begins with direct or indirect connection with the IHS manufacturer or packaging facility. The workers in those facilities are probably not well payed and they found a way how to make some extra money. There can be a whole chain of people involved in this fraud.

Removing and etching those signs is probably not so easy as Steve thinks.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
My take away from the videos is to always verify the batch number and partial serial number online at https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo as suggested at 13:04.

If that were important the fakers could just spam the site with input until they get a combination that checks out and use that on their knockoff.

Consumer wariness is certainly a good thing, but it will only ultimately create a more wily set of scammers.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
If that were important the fakers could just spam the site with input until they get a combination that checks out and use that on their knockoff.

Consumer wariness is certainly a good thing, but it will only ultimately create a more wily set of scammers.
Ok, so your conclusion is to not buy used Intel chips from private sellers at all? Or what's your point?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Ok, so your conclusion is to not buy used Intel chips from private sellers at all? Or what's your point?

No, just that scammers can find ways around the current methods to detect them. Don't rely on something that can be defeated so easily to the extent that it makes you easier to fool.

Stick to reputable private sellers and as always if something looks too good to be true, it probably is a good indication that it's a scam.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
No, just that scammers can find ways around the current methods to detect them. Don't rely on something that can be defeated so easily to the extent that it makes you easier to fool.

Stick to reputable private sellers and as always if something looks too good to be true, it probably is a good indication that it's a scam.
Well, of course scammers can always find a way as long as they put in the effort.

I just think it's not the consumer's job to worry about trustworthiness, it's Intel's. And Intel offered the above way for verification. I personally don't think Intel's etching is good enough, and don't think Intel's verification is hardened enough. But that's all they currently offer.

You appear to move the blame onto the potential victims which I consider a no-go.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
You appear to move the blame onto the potential victims which I consider a no-go.

Yet I'm still sure you still lock your doors when you aren't home, tell children to look both ways before crossing the street, and discourage people from going to a bad part of town when you think it won't be safe for them to go there.

The sad reality is that people who don't look out for themselves are far more likely to be taken advantage of by scammers or far, far worse. Kvetching about victim blaming does no good for victims and saves no one from becoming one. The more responsible you can get people to be for their own lives and circumstances the less likely they are to become victims in the first place. There are some things in life that are truly beyond a person's control, but trying to minimize those things is going to make you considerably harder to exploit.