Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Good deal.

You'll probably get a 3 year warranty from goHardDrive, judging from their direct product link (currently out of stock 🤔) :

OK this listing explicitly says 5 year warranty! But MDD != HGST so not sure what to make of that.

Last edited:

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I've seen a few refurbished Enterprise drives on Amazon and Newegg. Prices looked ok, but I wanted new. Ended up paying almost $1200 for 4x16TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro drives (with taxes + shipping).

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Good deal.

You'll probably get a 3 year warranty from goHardDrive, judging from their direct product link (currently out of stock 🤔) :

OK this listing explicitly says 5 year warranty! But MDD != HGST so not sure what to make of that.

Look at the label near the bottom and you'll see HGST Japan. MDD MAXDIGITALDATA is a trademark of goharddrive. They refurbish drives and slap their own label on.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Look at the label near the bottom and you'll see HGST Japan. MDD MAXDIGITALDATA is a trademark of goharddrive. They refurbish drives and slap their own label on.
I realize that but it's a confusing product listing. MDD is their house brand, so usually they scrub the original OEM information. For example:

Online photos are no guarantee of what you'll get, especially since goHardDrive is a third party vendor on Amazon.

Refurbishment is also a salient point. For the HGST (or other original brand) drives, don't expect any actual refurbishing. These are used server pulls, with many years of continuous use. In this case, refurbishment means they've wiped the data and any dust on the exterior. Nothing was actually repaired.

In the context of the Amazon product I linked, it's impossible to tell whether you will receive an "MDD" or "HGST" labeled hard drive (the feature set can vary slightly). The main reason I referred to it is because it's $89 and explicitly states a 5 year warranty.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
The drives I posted say HGST WD. They shouldn't be MDD, which I am not really trusting of.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
MDD is just goHardDrive's white label. It's the same vendor either way, although I can't say exactly whether that's better or worse than buying HGST from them.

Speaking of HGST, price is down to $85 on Newegg:

If there was a Zip promo at this time, I'd snag two. Heck you even get 90 day returns.

Reactions: Shmee

Bitman

Jun 18, 2001
Can anyone recommend a free NAS OS?
Depending on your skills and interest, maybe try plain Ubuntu (or your favorite plain Linux or BSD distro.)

Most free NAS distros are built from parts that are already part of the open source ecosystem, so plain OSes effectively give you access to every feature from every NAS distro out there, plus good standard access to the base system in case you need more power or something goes wrong.

You won't have their particular web UI, but there are lots of standalone web UIs available to add to your system.

Reactions: Shmee and Lanyap

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
If you go with Truenas, I would probably go with Truenas Scale at this point, which is more updated/maintained, and is Debian based.

Reactions: Ajay and dlerious

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Newegg has a new Affirm BNPL promo for 10% off (max $100). It's supposed to apply to a LOT of products, but whoever set it up didn't seem to do it right. For example, CPUs and graphics cards are getting only $25 off.

It does apply to these HC510 drives, and likely applies to other stuff as well. If you're really motivated to get the maximum value out of this promo, you might want to contact Newegg CS and have them force the issue somehow. Unfortunately Newegg raised the price of the Ultrastar He12 from this thread, so I'll wait. goHardDrive has recently sold about 2000 of those drives on eBay lol.

Reactions: Shmee

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Keep in mind that (at least according to one of the reviews) these have 33K-39K hours so over 4 yrs wear on them. They will likely last long enough to exceed their as-new, cost:lifespan ratio by quite a bit, but "likely" is only playing odds and somebody has to fall on the wrong side of those odds eventually.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
bought 3, all got between 30-40K on them, and kinda a noisy drive compared to other hard drives I own, but for the price vs new, Im quite happy with them. But man, if one goes bad, 12tb is a lot to lose. Im thinking of just using them for back ups for that reason, so this way, I back up, stick in a drawer, bring out only to update backup. Thanks OP for the deal!

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Keep in mind that even though these may be out of WD warranty, I think goharddrive warranties them for 5 years. I think that is what the warranty slip they gave me in my order said, though I would have to double check.