120Hz with the G620's IGPU?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I'm setting the screen resolution on my HTPC feeding my 42" Visio 120Hz TV... does the Intel HD1000 graphics of the G620 chip not support 120Hz refresh rate? Does it matter?

MicahC

Sep 3, 2012
120hz is 3d if I am not mistaken. I have not played with 3d (can't afford it), but I would assume you would need a special program or driver to display 3d videos.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
It matters if you need 120Hz for something.

Whether you can set it depends on the HDTV. Some do 120Hz internally, so that they can have the proper refresh rate for a 24Hz, and they won't actually accept a 120Hz input.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Video frame rate is about 28 frames a second. So I see no real reason to go that fast. With TV's if you go too fast, the TV often uses software that trys to smooth the video by adding frames. Maybe go to a TV review site to see if people like the faster Hrtz rate. I have a samsung that runs at 60hrz.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Video frame rate is about 28 frames a second. So I see no real reason to go that fast. With TV's if you go too fast, the TV often uses software that trys to smooth the video by adding frames. Maybe go to a TV review site to see if people like the faster Hrtz rate. I have a samsung that runs at 60hrz.

Maybe that's it... I have one of the first gen 120Hz TV's and it's my understanding is that it's not necessarily a 'true' 120Hz refresh, it uses software to sort of anticipate what the next frame image will be at a 120Hz rate.

Hmmm...

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You might try researching the custom settings to adjust the TV. Some people publish them. G620 is probably pretty good, but it would not support 3D. I am using an i-5 2500k in my computer hooked up to my TV. I just set the Video to the standard for HD to match My TV. If the resolution settings are set Higher than the video setting on your IGP, it may try to overdrive your IGP. If you had a video card it might be overheating the video card or cause interruptions.

I have one computer with integrated video that is only 720p. When I hooked it up I could not run it at FULL HD without interruptions in the video. So maybe trying to run it at a higher hrz, maybe you could be stressing the IGP causing poor video quality. So maybe turn down the settings on the TV for the computer source. Some of the newer TV's are more capable than we give them credit for.

Last edited: