120hz vs IPS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
IPS > anything TN
Yep.

Also, I love the ignorance in this thread. You're getting shot because you suck at the game, not because of your monitor. But please, blame anything else but yourself.

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
Balla you hit the nail on the head. I may buy the same monitor you have for online FPS and use my 30" for everything else. Just need a creative stand for them so that I can swap them easily.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Balla you hit the nail on the head. I may buy the same monitor you have for online FPS and use my 30" for everything else. Just need a creative stand for them so that I can swap them easily.

I think you mean Don and the GD235HZ.

Mine are 60Hz 2ms $100 screens, I just have three of them :p

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
Yeah thats the one sorry. Anyone know of a good stand that you could move one monitor out of the way while using the other?

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
TN panels aren't that bad. The colors aren't as vibrant, but you get faster response time and they're way cheaper. For $90 for my 1080p 21.5" screen I'm not complaining at all.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
It comes down to what you want more; much better IQ, viewing angles, colour reproduction and higher resolutions vs. the ability to display more than 60fps and use 3D.

I love IQ and improved visuals above everything else. Whether that is 2560x1600 resolution, beautiful colour without gradiation, running games on their highest settings with as much AA as possible and so forth. So I'd go IPS every time.

I can remember playing CS 1 to 1.5 on a 100hz CRT and I noticed the difference when I first moved from a CRT to an LCD a year or so after HL2 came out. What I noticed most ? The craptastic colour and image quality of a TN panel, not so much the frame rate, I did notice that as well though.

Unless your job is gaming you don't need 120fps to do well in online FPS games. It certainly does give a smoother more fluid image, but TN is TN is TN, whether it costs $100 or $500, they all look like crap. My BF3 stats are pretty decent, 2.2 kd/r 630skill, and I game on a big IPS at 60FPS with supposed latency I don't notice :) I can still do pretty well in some CS as well but not as good as I did when I was much younger, I think that boils down to slower reflexes from being older with what a twitchy game CS is, not using an IPS panel.

I think 120hz is a total non-issue for being able to play online FPS well. I would get an IPS of any size over any TN out there. When there is 120hz IPS I will be the first to upgrade, but as long as it's one or the other, it's IPS all the way.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
if its for gaming who cares if it looks slightly better sitting still if it is a blurry mess when looking around? slow TNs are bad enough so I cant even imagine an even slower IPS. my next screen will certainly be a 120hz TN screen.

image host

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
if its for gaming who cares if it looks slightly better sitting still if it is a blurry mess when looking around? slow TNs are bad enough so I cant even imagine an even slower IPS. my next screen will certainly be a 120hz TN screen.

image host

Are TN monitors just pure garbage these days or what ? I haven't used one in so long. I see no blur at all looking around, like absolutely none.

Not sure what that picture is all about because I've never seen that kind of blur on any panel, unless I was using motion blur settings in game. :hmm:

IPS is not just a little better than TN, it's a lot. TN is pure garbage. I'm not trying to knock on the choice to use TN, but they are just terrible, really horrible to look at.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Are TN monitors just pure garbage these days or what ? I haven't used one in so long. I see no blur at all looking around, like absolutely none.

Not sure what that picture is all about because I've never seen that kind of blur on any panel, unless I was using motion blur settings in game. :hmm:

IPS is not just a little better than TN, it's a lot. TN is pure garbage. I'm not trying to knock on the choice to use TN, but they are just terrible, really horrible to look at.
you can claim not to see blurring when looking around just like some people claim they get no screen tearing with vsync off. I only wish I could be as blind as some of you guys. what I don't get is why some of you would be concerned about image quality when you don't even notice the obvious blurring or screen tearing. lol

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
you can claim not to see blurring when looking around just like some people claim they get no screen tearing with vsync off. I only wish I could be as blind as some of you guys. what I don't get is why some of you would be concerned about image quality when you don't even notice the obvious blurring or screen tearing. lol

I see all kinds of tearing as I'm almost always well above 60fps if I'm not running vsync, Toyota :p

The only games I play without it are online FPS.

I don't see anything close to the blurring in that picture. I think that is either a mockup, or taken with a high speed camera that catches things the human eye just doesn't register. Like wtf, if a monitor blurred like that I would return it.

I sure do notice the dog awful IQ on a TN panel though :awe:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I see all kinds of tearing as I'm almost always well above 60fps if I'm not running vsync, Toyota :p

The only games I play without it are online FPS.

I don't see anything close to the blurring in that picture. I think that is either a mockup, or taken with a high speed camera that catches things the human eye just doesn't register. Like wtf, if a monitor blurred like that I would return it.

I sure do notice the dog awful IQ on a TN panel though :awe:
the blurring is obvious to me and many others. I even had a thread about it a while back because it drove me nuts while looking for new monitor. and pretty much every in depth monitor review will mention how bad the blurring is on an IPS is compared to a TN during gaming.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999

image host
Just so we're clear here, you're aware that the image in question is simulated, right? Those aren't actual shots from monitors.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010

image host

This was posted on OCN a long time ago, it was fake then, and it's fake now.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
well even if that is fake it still represents the truth. an LCD is just not quite as smooth looking as a CRT when panning around. a TN will typically have less blurring than an IPS. and a 120hz TN screen will have less blurring than a 60hz screen.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
well even if that is fake it still represents the truth. an LCD is just not quite as smooth looking as a CRT when panning around. a TN will typically have less blurring than an IPS. and a 120hz TN screen will have less blurring than a 60hz screen.
You're not wrong of course, I'm just pointing out that the image is a bad example. If it was actually that bad we'd all be clinging on to our CRTs until you ripped them out of our cold, dead hands.:p

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
TN - great for gaming, not so good for viewing angles and color
IPS - good for everything (gaming, photo editing, movies, TV/Hulu, etc.)

I don't have infinite room for monitors (my sig line notwithstanding, I am space-constrained), nor infinite budget for monitors, so I think going IPS is a good compromise. IPS @ 120Hz will surely sell well. Just my 2 cents.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
You're not wrong of course, I'm just pointing out that the image is a bad example. If it was actually that bad we'd all be clinging on to our CRTs until you ripped them out of our cold, dead hands.:p
well in the thread I had a while back I certainly saw some that were just awful. in fact I gave up after about 12 monitors and got my older Dell screen back out. in that thread I had mentioned that the Dell and older Acer that I had were not bad but the newer screens were just awful. even my Dell and Acer are still worse than my old crt though. and yes I have tested them side by side and they blur much worse.

the newer screens I had tried were insanely bad though as you could just see stuff blur out and get jittery when panning around in a game. whats funny is that nearly all of the screens were 2ms to 5ms yet they blurred horribly in comparison to the old Acer and Dell which were both 5ms. yeah I know those numbers are for marketing but I would have excepted about the same performance not worse compared to older screens.

special33

Apr 28, 2012
IPS is better purely for its image quality sure,
but for gaming isnt the "delay" from an IPS monitor bad?..
ive never used one

DeeJayeS

Dec 28, 2011
I'm really enjoying my E-IPS panel (Dell U2412M). Less input lag, but 99% of the IQ of a "real" IPS panel (I have the 2408FP at work).

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
They all blur even so called 2ms 120hz TNs. All you have to do to prove it to yourself is by just looking at hover tag when items fall on ground in D3 while screen is still scrolling. Text wont be razor sharp like when you stop, or are on a CRT.

LCDs are basically shit and you got to wait for OLED if you want CRT motion with LCD convergence.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
They all blur even so called 2ms 120hz TNs. All you have to do to prove it to yourself is by just looking at hover tag when items fall on ground in D3 while screen is still scrolling. Text wont be razor sharp like when you stop, or are on a CRT.

LCDs are basically shit and you got to wait for OLED if you want CRT motion with LCD convergence.
right but some LCDs are way worse than others. I have had plenty of them side by side and its amazing how jittery and blurry some can be. its funny too when you catch one with a lot of lag and see how slow it it is by moving a window and down with half of it on one screen and the other half on the other screen. I would have stuck with my old CRT for a little longer if it was not so small but 17 inch just does not cut it. overall this Dell LCD I am on right now is good for gaming but it has a scratch on it because some kids messed with it while it was the spare room.

Last edited:

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
Bought the acer 120hz monitor. Makes gaming much more enjoyable. Yes I did lose some color quality. Yes I did lose some screen real estate, but it is worth it while gaming. I plan to buy 2 more of these to run in Nvidia surround, so that will more than make up for the lost screen area. Thanks for all the help guys.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
If I did nothing but gaming I would probably get 120hz. Unfortunately, that means a sh** 1080p resolution on a 27" screen. I have to do other stuff on my PC as well so IPS is just way better for everything else. 2D windows at 1080p is pretty horrible, doing productivity stuff on an IPS/PLS screen is just way better. 2560 resolution is also awesome for gaming....

WMD

Apr 13, 2011
No point arguing which is better. Everyone has their own preferences. 120 Hz TN will be better for gaming if you dont mind the terrible image quality. Otherwise if you care the slightest about how your desktop and other non gaming activities look then definitely an IPS over TN. Even the best 120Hz TN (samsung S27950D) looks like trash next to the cheapest dell E-IPS screen (U2311h). The difference is night and day. Get a 120Hz TN only if you can stand grossly inaccurate colors, grayish blacks and back light bleeding.