120hz Gaming Monitor Advice

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by Cymera, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Zargon

Zargon Lifer

I <3 my 120hz acer. its absolutely amazing

2. Dkcode

Dkcode Senior member

I run with vsync off @ 120hz.

Some games tear more than others, even so it is hell of a lot less than it was on my 60hz screen.

3. bunnyfubbles

bunnyfubbles Lifer

BenQ is built more towards competitive gaming, the Samsung will likely offer better IQ out of box

which one you'd go for depends on whether your game is more oriented towards sport or leisure

most definitely off

4. Cymera

Cymera Member

I'd be getting a 120hz for gaming, and from what I hear there are profiles/configs out there for the Benq to tweak its IQ, correct?

5. Cymera

Cymera Member

Which of the two monitors has lowest input lag? Anyone know?

6. pieguy

pieguy Member

I'm not completely certain but I think the profiles of the BenQ are for tweaking settings if you want them a little different for different games. I think that's a little different from improving the initial IQ by calibrating the monitor, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

There is surprisingly little info on the Samsung's input lag, one source suggested it to be around 11ms, while the BenQ is about 2.5ms. Pretty insignificant either way. I don't have either monitor but would buy the BenQ if it were $100 cheaper.

7. flexy

flexy Diamond Member

No affiliate links!!!! You are risking a ban!

8. Cymera

Cymera Member

I went back and edited the links out. However, I'm not sure I understand - I've had long-time Anand users link me to newegg before, what was wrong with what I did? I only wanted to spare people having to look the product up themselves.

9. hans030390

hans030390 Diamond Member

To the OP, I have the Asus VG236H. I love it. I got it for around $300 a couple of months ago. It might not be the best as far as color reproduction comes, but it's a solid monitor for gaming.

I did some research on this, and so many people suggested not using vsync with a 120Hz monitor. I found this to be pretty horrible advice, as the tearing was super noticeable for me with it off (above or below the refresh rate).

I personally always run vsync + triple buffering (D3DOverrider). I've never noticed a difference with input lag. I'm sure it's there, but it doesn't affect me. IMO, input lag is less of an issue than network lag, which I can pretty easily adapt to.

I got a 120Hz monitor because the picture is insanely smooth during movement. Turning off vsync completely defeated the purpose of having a 120Hz monitor, as the picture would now because noticeably less smooth looking because of tearing. For me, smoothness and no tearing greatly outweighed the benefit of lower input lag. I play better without tearing than I do with less lag that I can't even notice.

10. VulgarDisplay

VulgarDisplay Diamond Member

I've read reviews stating that the samsung is the lowest Input lag to date. I have one. There is 0 input lag and no ghosting.

The only major issues with it are that there are no VESA mounts, and it's glossy screen. The colors are amazing (for a TN) with a few tweaks to brightness and contrast.

11. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

You're fine; in fact you can put those links back if you want to. I'm not sure why flexy thought they were affiliate links.

12. Jaydip

Jaydip Diamond Member

Go with Benq XL2420T.Its a superb monitor.

13. Ben90

Ben90 Platinum Member

Samsung S23A700D center vs Asus VG236H
    [​IMG]

14. EpicSurvivor

EpicSurvivor Senior member

Hey I'm really tempted to get this monitor to replace my ASUS VE248. Do you still own this monitor? Its really cheap for the specs it has.

Please let me know, because I plan on getting it, unless by now there is another monitor with 120Hz fur under $265 that is between 23" and 24":confused: