12 year olds stabbing other kids because of interwebs

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
If you are going to kill for a mythological creature at least kill for a cool one like Cthulhu :\

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Just wait til some politician gets on the ban video games bandwagon again.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Slender man looks like he may be kin to Cthulhu

Slender_Man.png

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Given the girls' rationale for the stabbing I can't see this staying in adult court. As horrific as the attack was, I see no sign of adult reasoning taking place.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Given the girls' rationale for the stabbing I can't see this staying in adult court. As horrific as the attack was, I see no sign of adult reasoning taking place.

Because no adult has ever killed anyone in the name of a mythological being :cool:

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
The penchant for vengeance, not justice, by some courts is appalling.
A 12 year old is a child, period, regardless of the crime.
Not to say these aren't f-d individuals but there is a reason we distinguish between the two.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I'm saddened first for the victim, but secondly for the other 12yo's that were charged as adults. Obviously they are oblivious to the real world if they were trying to do a ritualistic killing for a made up creature. They need major counseling, not 60 years in jail.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I'm saddened first for the victim, but secondly for the other 12yo's that were charged as adults. Obviously they are oblivious to the real world if they were trying to do a ritualistic killing for a made up creature. They need major counseling, not 60 years in jail.

Uh, WTF, they need the death penalty, not counseling. If not the chair, 60 years in prison will have to do. I'm not at all OK with counseling and then releasing this scum back into to society to victimize someone else. Where's the justice for the person they murdered? Their family?

There are plenty of adults who do crazy things and by that logic are "oblivious to the real world", but we still hold them accountable for their actions.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Uh, WTF, they need the death penalty, not counseling. If not the chair, 60 years in prison will have to do. I'm not at all OK with counseling and then releasing this scum back into to society to victimize someone else. Where's the justice for the person they murdered? Their family?

Why are you talking about the person they murdered? Nobody died.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
The penchant for vengeance, not justice, by some courts is appalling.
A 12 year old is a child, period, regardless of the crime.
Not to say these aren't f-d individuals but there is a reason we distinguish between the two.

Fine, put them in juvenile court and be sentenced. When that sentence is over and they're 18, then put them in adult correctional facilities for life.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Fine, put them in juvenile court and be sentenced. When that sentence is over and they're 18, then put them in adult correctional facilities for life.

You can't. That is the problem. Unless they are tried as adults, they will be released when they come of age, regardless of the severity of their crime. There are quite a few documented cases where minors commit acts like murder, it is clear they have no remorse and are likely to do it again, and are released when tried as a minor.

Charging them as adults doesn't mean they are sent to adult prison at 12 if convicted.

trungma

Jul 1, 2001

This sort of behavior is beyond counselling. Charged as an adult is fair.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
They have no remorse because a child brain is still a developing brain and the connection between right wrong black white are morphing into shades of grey.
A child doesn't deal with things the same as an adult because they aren't mature enough to fully understand consequences.
Its why they don't vote, drive, join the military, hold jobs, be responsible for their own education etc etc. They re still learning and developing and its physiological. To write somebody off at 12 is just wrong. Not saying they will ever be decent citizens however their lives are much surer to be a constant drain if you ensconce them with adult laws and conventions

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I knew Something Awful would finally create something that lead to something truely awful!

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Ritual murder to appease a mythical being. What's wrong with that? It is just the nearly universal human religious brain defect in action.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
This sort of behavior is beyond counselling. Charged as an adult is fair.

Not really. The kids have mental health issues. Hard to determine much more than that. The courts will be able to decide with psychological exams. I highly doubt they will get an adult sentencing once the case begins.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005

There are plenty of adults who do crazy things and by that logic are "oblivious to the real world", but we still hold them accountable for their actions.

I'm guessing you don't connect with many other human beings at any more than a superficial level.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Not really. The kids have mental health issues. Hard to determine much more than that. The courts will be able to decide with psychological exams. I highly doubt they will get an adult sentencing once the case begins.

What makes you say that?

Plenty of adults have been known to murder in the names of mythological creatures.