12" laptops?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Liviathan

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: yankeesfan
I know you said no dells, but there is a $474 dollar off coupon code for the 710m.
You can get:

1.7 GHz Pentium M
1 GB RAM
12" screen
100 GB Hardrive
CD/DVD-ROM Combo

for 799

I ordered this deal last week. I should have it by tomorrow.

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Liviathan
Originally posted by: yankeesfan
I know you said no dells, but there is a $474 dollar off coupon code for the 710m.
You can get:

1.7 GHz Pentium M
1 GB RAM
12" screen
100 GB Hardrive
CD/DVD-ROM Combo

for 799

I ordered this deal last week. I should have it by tomorrow.

That's the best choice listed yet.

imported_OrSin

Jul 15, 2004
Damn it looking like a dell again. I'm sick of them. Thie CS is so bad. But for 20-40% less then what others are charging (with the coupon deals) it makes no sense to go some where else. The base price is not very good but the damn deals.

Yes, I'm complaining about saving money.

Thanks

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: OrSin
Damn it looking like a dell again. I'm sick of them. Thie CS is so bad. But for 20-40% less then what others are charging (with the coupon deals) it makes no sense to go some where else. The base price is not very good but the damn deals.

Yes, I'm complaining about saving money.

Thanks
Their CS is bad because you take the basic level tech support. IMO, most company's basic tech support is bad. HP, Gateway, Dell, etc. Buy their higher level warranty with Gold Support and you will have far fewer issues.

imported_OrSin

Jul 15, 2004
I should not have to pay for decent CS. Most other companies CS is not good. But dell is bad all the time. With other companies its 50/50, but dell acts like you have 2 hours to spend on the phone for each call. Even if they didn't solve the problem on the first one. My worst exiperence is 3 2 hour call for bad hard drive. Each call them made me dod the same test over anf then would still not issue a RMA. I ended up lie and saying I was someone i'm not ( not going to say who) to get them to issue a RMA.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
you shouldn't have to pay for CS, I agree, but they have to cut costs somewhere to remain profitable. If you hate it so much, tell them so by not purchasing their products. Buy a Lenovo and quit with the whining already ;)

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: OrSin
I should not have to pay for decent CS. Most other companies CS is not good. But dell is bad all the time. With other companies its 50/50, but dell acts like you have 2 hours to spend on the phone for each call. Even if they didn't solve the problem on the first one. My worst exiperence is 3 2 hour call for bad hard drive. Each call them made me dod the same test over anf then would still not issue a RMA. I ended up lie and saying I was someone i'm not ( not going to say who) to get them to issue a RMA.
You shouldn't have to pay for decent CS? Then you shouldn't be able to get a notebook at 10% above what it costs them to make it. It is difficult for them to make profit at 10% margin, you think they're going to give you hig h quality, US-based tech support @ 10% profit? NO.

If you want good support with Dell, you must pay for the Gold Tech Support option.

Then again, you could just buy a Lenovo and have U.S.-based tech support even on their $600 notebook.

porcorosso

Feb 22, 2006
You might try Dynamism.com. A little pricey, but nice stuff and good support. I use one of the Panasonic R3s. (Current generation is R5). It has run like a top and is quite rugged.

speedstream5621

Jan 9, 2004
Consider getting a used Thinkpad X30 or X40 off of eBay. There are several variations for each of those lines too. You can probably find an X40 that still has a couple of years left on the warranty. IBM warranties follow the serial number.

I went with a T42 (14") instead because I didn't feel comfortable buying a notebook with only a trackpoint and no touchpad.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I agree with the Lenovo approach - but the Toughbook deserves a look . . .

Pan