12.8 Catalysts installed but CCC still showing 12.6?

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
It seems as though the actual display drivers themselves are updated, even though CCC still says 12.6

Is that a normal thing?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Sounds off. Have you tried doing a driver sweeper run to clean out everything?

I've never seen Catalyst do that. I don't own an AMD card currently but I did have an HD6950 previously.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Saw that with my old HD5850. Surprised that bug is still in the drivers. Just make sure you uninstalled the old drivers before installing the new ones and you'll know you are up to date.

GotNoRice

Aug 14, 2000
What card are you using?

I'm asking mainly because this is the behavior you will encounter if you try to update a 4000-series or earlier card using the non-legacy driver. Some components of the driver will install (stuff like the HDMI driver, etc) and so the entire driver package will look as if it did an installation, but it doesn't actually update your video drivers.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
This sort of thing happened with me with the 12.4 drivers. Whenever I installed 12.4, the CCC would always show the last driver version that I had, even if I did a clean install of the drivers. It was weird, but it didn't seem to cause any performance problems, and hasn't happened to me since.

hdfxst

May 13, 2009
that's normal,mine showed 11.12 up to the 12.8's.look at your card in device manager and that will show you what driver you're running

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
I'm on a 1GB 6950. I uninstalled and reinstalled a million times but that stupid number won't change. Like I said, the actual drivers seem up to date - it's just driving me nuts that the number in CCC isn't updating :)

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
As mentioned, use Driver Sweeper to do a completely clean uninstall of your older drivers. That shouldn't be happening.

(well, I guess it's called Driver Fusion now)

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
This happens sometimes, I noticed it in the past when I had 7970s. You should look at the hex string to see what driver version is installed, the version number is incorrect (this usually happens when you don't do a clean install I believe)

Its not a big deal really, if you installed a newer driver - thats the version you have.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Mine did it as well. Showed the wrong driver version in CCC. That was from downloading drivers from AMD's site and updating them.

Decided to try to update the drivers through CCC, and it changed to the right version then.

xor42

Oct 20, 2012
that's normal,mine showed 11.12 up to the 12.8's.look at your card in device manager and that will show you what driver you're running
Mine did it as well. Showed the wrong driver version in CCC. That was from downloading drivers from AMD's site and updating them. Decided to try to update the drivers through CCC, and it changed to the right version then.

There seems to be a major misquoting of version numbers here. Many refer to the latest DRIVER versions as "11.x" or "12.x". As of the current time, those numbers refer to recent versions of the Catalyst Control Center Software ... not of the display adapter's driver. Those are two very different and separate things.

In the case of my two Radeon 4670 HD series display cards (in typical CrossFire configuration), the latest installer package has updated them to version 8.196. That is nothing like the 11.x or 12.x numbers of recent Catalyst Control Center Software versions.

I entered this forum because I, too, have a version update problem but it seems to be with the Catalyst Control Center Software. My CCC Software's "Information" section displays the CCC Software version as 12.4 even though I have updated the CCC Software to 12.8 thee separate times in the last month. After each supposedly successful install, the CCC Software's "Information" section continues to show the CCC Software version as 12.4, not 12.8. The install logs always seem to show a successful install. If there is an error, it may be buried in a place where the sun don't shine.

So, from my perspective, the issues being discussing about a wrong "driver" version are really about a problem with the AMD installation package's CCC Software installer that is either (a) not installing the latest CCC Software correctly and is not reporting it or (b) it is installing it correctly but the latest installed CCC Software has a version value that is incorrectly set to 12.4 instead of the proper 12.8 value that the installer package says it is.

The former case of an invalid CCC Software install being reported as a success would explain the repeated update notifications. Similarly, the latter case of a wrongly set version number in the correct version of the CCC Software would explain why the AMD update checker keeps trying to update my CCC Software when it has already been updated with the same latest update three times.

Perhaps, only the next newer version of the complete CCC installation package may break this logic loop. I have little confidence that a complete uninstall and reinstall (which I may have done already and the installer update package claims to do) will do anything since this is clearly NOT a driver issue. :rolleyes:

That my three cents.

-fin-

Last edited: