11th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season 3-way Race

Page 36 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
The race is over. I am collecting the final stats.
Will post later - probably not earlier than to night (UTC-1) ...
I am having too much fun with my family ...

Reactions: Assimilator1

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Happy new year everyone!

Thanks for the stats again Petrus :), did we hit 4x 12/15 output?
Btw, not sure if I'm going blind ;), but I can't see a link to the previous year's race in your 1st post....

Last edited:

bds71

Nov 29, 2016
I just wanted to restate the general consensus among the posters: great job everyone, special thanks to those who took the time to make the charts and stats, and to team canucks for a great competition!

Reactions: TennesseeTony

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
The Final Stats
Here are the stats for January 1, 2017, and the 31th day of the 11th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season Race.
The stats are from http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=, updated at 12:00 UTC (=9pm CST).
Only the points count. The ppd is there for information only.

The short story:
  1. TeAm AnandTech won the one-week-race against Tom's Hardware

2j5chee.jpg

2. TeAm AnandTech won the one-month-race against Hardware Canucks Forum

258p8p5.jpg

3. The Yetis won the sub-team race

wmm4aw.jpg

In this table I've calculated the stats for all 31 days, including the 4 days when the PrimeGrid Winter Solstice Challenge was running as well as without those four days. The reason behind this is that more folders in The Snowmen took part in that race and thus were away from the folding race.
    The difference between the sub-teams is small; in previous races the difference was as high as 5% (or as low as 1,5%).

4. The final stats of The Yetis vs. The Snowmen

5wa6qd.jpg

As you can see quite a few of The Snowmen left the race after the one-week race against Tom's Hardware
    Later in the race approximately the same number of folders stopped folding.

5. The racers' daily production

Dec. 1 - Dec. 10:
    vsibzs.jpg

Dec. 12 - Dec. 16:
    2jc7os5.jpg

Dec. 16 - Dec. 26:
    8y71mt.jpg

Dec. 26 - Jan. 1:
    v8k74h.jpg

6. Each racer's total production in order:
    2rwry48.jpg

The more blue names belong to the sub-team of The Yetis, the more green names to the sub-team of The Snowmen.

(some more graphs in next post).

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Looking at some graphs:

This is our monthly production

jjpu01.jpg

Don't be dismayed at the numbers at the Y-axis. there i a "1" missing before the other numbers, i.e. the top number should read 1 300 000 000 since we have produced
1 291 456 373 points in December. Not quite four times the production of December 2015, but very, very close: we produced 7.374 million points less, i.e. 3.977 times the December 2015-production.

This is our team-standing
2hnymm8.jpg

We have risen from rank 24 to rank 21.
We may even pass the next team within a few days ...

This is our standing regarding production

1zxxoc3.jpg

We were in 9th position at the peak of the race against Tom's Hardware and are dropping slowly down the ranks. But that is very much so expected, since the race is over ...
I may find some more stats to post later on - but I don't promise anything. Tomorrow is a full working day, incl. on-call-duty and i don't know if i will have the time.

Thanks to all racers, to the folders from Hardware Canucks Forum and Tom's Hardware.
If I am able to do it, I'll start the next race, the 12th Annual Holiday Season Folding@Home Race some time in November 2017!

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
I am still blown away by the incredible performance this year. :) Simply amazing. Thanks to all who contributed, and I certainly hope we can continue the increased participation level in DC at AnandTech.

We have many other internal and external races periodically, so feel free to crunch away at the science project(s) of your choice, but don't stray too far from the forum or you might miss some more fun and excitement! :)

Reactions: crashtech

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Thanks everyone, and especially Petrus, for all of the stats-keeping! Pretty amazing month. Over 1Bil points produced, in one month!

Sorry that I ramped down during the last week. Ken_G6, here's your chance to catch up, hopefully after the race...

Reactions: Ken g6

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well gang, the Purch community team has just delivered the final, official point totals to me for the AnandTech vs. Tom's Hardware race. The race itself was never in question of course, but none the less I was interested in seeing just how badly you could whoop the Tom's Hardware crew.:)

Team AnandTech: 296,180,869
Tom's Hardware: 212,467,005

My counterparts over at Tom's Hardware expected that even if their team lost, it would be close. They have been forced to take back those statements.;)

Congratulations to you guys both for winning this race, and rocketing up the overall standings so quickly. And Purch will be making the previously announced donation to Child's Play in Team AnandTech's name.

Finally, as I previously promised, I will be sending out a special gift to one lucky participant in the near future. Keep an eye on your inbox over the next few days, as I'll need to collect your contact information.:)

So.............
Will we ever get to know who got what?

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Thanks petrusbroder for all your hard work (and your organizational skills!) in making the annual folding race successful, and for your daily stats updates throughout the race.

Reactions: Smoke

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Thank you for the compiling the stats Peter. And thank you all for the race! Back to WCG!

Reactions: Smoke

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
OK, folks, some news:
  1. The Tom's Hardware team are catching up and may pass us within less than 7 months if our production declines.
  2. The 12th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season Race is only 10 month and 20 days(=324 days) away. Time to think about upgrading strategies (will Ryzen support GPUs as well as Intel CPUs?, what will the 1070Ti or the 1060Ti do?), team building and the babes in the hot tub. And about Ray's cold trout ...

Reactions: Pokey and Smoke

bds71

Nov 29, 2016
I've got my single GPU on F@H, and might have more (if needed) once my house is built......but not sure when that will happen, if this year or next.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I had my 2 big cards with slightly reduced power target and 1 small card all working at F@H until yesterday. The cards will be shuffled between PCs now, and the small card possibly be decommissioned. I do want to get back to continuous F@H production but will need to figure out how to coordinate it with the daily use of these PCs. When that's done, I am going to look for ways to increase production, but with power bill/ noise/ heat output in mind.