1155 Motherboard and IDE DVD drive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Throw the 10 year old junk away. IDE is like a curse word. Black is beautiful.

This is my opinion.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I have both SATA and IDE DVD burners in my new build. The IDE was left over from my last build, (it's about 4 years old) and couldn't justify tossing it out. (I was going to use my old build for the grandkids, but the PSU was crap and I couldn't justify buying a new one for the rare use it would get)

Do you have a reason for getting the Z68? If you are willing to go with one of the other socket 1155 chipset boards, you have several to choose from with IDE/PATA support:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=

TJCS

Nov 3, 2009
Invest your money into SATA devices and craiglist the old IDE ones. Those IDE/SATA adapters generally work well for most, but there are cases where it is incompatible with certain motherboards. DVD drive is 20 bucks and the adapter is about 10~15. Not worth it imo.

GPz1100

Jun 10, 2001
Find a cheap external ide/usb case. Since switching to water cooling, I had to give up 2 bays in my case for the reservoir/pump. Ended up removing a drive and the dvdr. I use the dvdr very rarely, and am find with an external solution.

I still have a few of the old nec 35xx series drives... Those were fantastic.

bryanl

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2006
Here is an IDE-SATA adapter that works with both hard and CD-DVD drives, is in stock, and is also just $5 delivered.

http://www.meritline.com/ide-to-sata-or-sata-to-ide-adapter---p-36542.aspx

Be cautioned its IDE connector is undersized and can be inserted backwards or over the wrong pins.

IDE-SATA adapters are compatible with all versions of Windows and require no driver software.

IDE PCI and PCI-E controller cards vary in compatibility with CD and DVD drives. Some won't handle them at all, and some allow reading or writing but not booting.

Many controller cards are also incompatible with

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
look at the OP date, this is a necro, most likely the OP isn't in the market anymore.