10mm Blower?

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
ISO: New 10mm x 40-50mm laptop style blower, quiet, preferably with the larger style 3 or 4 pin fan header connector. Is there such a thing, and where would I find it in North America?

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
1 cm wide, 4-5 cm long blower? As in, a blower cooler - a tube with a fan on one end? Wha.. Not sure I get this right :hmm:

What's a "larger style" fan header? 3 pin is the standard, 4 pin is for PWM. Unless you mean 4 pin molex, direct to PSU type of thing?

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
1 cm wide, 4-5 cm long blower? As in, a blower cooler - a tube with a fan on one end? Wha.. Not sure I get this right :hmm:

What's a "larger style" fan header? 3 pin is the standard, 4 pin is for PWM. Unless you mean 4 pin molex, direct to PSU type of thing?

I think he means one of these?

5262-dc-blower-fan-brushless-cooler-1.jpg

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, sorry for the ambiguity. Also, the laptop units have a tiny connector, I wanted to see if they make them with a regular motherboard fan header connector (don't know the right spec or number for these, but NOT Molex).

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I was looking for new stuff, but all I saw was going to come from China, which would be OK if it wasn't so slow.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Actually, I have decided that the Akasa Euler fanless case I have needs a fan. While it does a passable job of cooling the CPU, it's the rest of the guts that don't fare so well, like the overheating southbridge, and oddly enough the mSATA card. I have installed an old laptop fan/blower that I had laying around by soldering its leads to the proper fan header plug cut from an old fan, but the result has been unsatisfactory. Somehow the enclosure has magnified the sound of the thing so that what was passable on my bench is now annoyingly loud. I was hoping to find one that was quieter.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks, I've never seen a HSF like that. I might be able to use the fan off of that, although it's a bit on the loud side and there aren't any dimensions given. All I really need to do is move a bit of air through the case to keep the southbridge and other components from getting too hot. The CPU has a huge passive heatsink in the form of the chassis itself and that part works fine.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Somehow they get them to be tolerable inside a laptop, though. I may need to wire in a potentiometer to the one I have.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
They sell new on flee bay, and not all are from China..........The 1 I bought came in two days.
If you could link me to the seller, I would appreciate it. I have put this on the back burner for now, honestly I think it will require a potentiometer.