10GB backup for $10/month

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I didn't see he says anything about offsite backup. Just backup in general. :roll:

the title implies offsite. If you can't see that then you shouldn't be commenting in the thread.

I backup all my home documents both locally to a file server in basement and offiste nightly. 6years of digital pictures, tax and financial documents. HTML and coding work. Personal and business letters written etc etc. Those things are NOT insured and can NOT be replaced. Anyone that does "backup" of their critical, irreplacable document and dgitial works to a external HDD and places it in the closet is stupid IMO

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: Homerboy
I didn't see he says anything about offsite backup. Just backup in general. :roll:

the title implies offsite. If you can't see that then you shouldn't be commenting in the thread.

I backup all my home documents both locally to a file server in basement and offiste nightly. 6years of digital pictures, tax and financial documents. HTML and coding work. Personal and business letters written etc etc. Those things are NOT insured and can NOT be replaced. Anyone that does "backup" of their critical, irreplacable document and dgitial works to a external HDD and places it in the closet is stupid IMO

Granted. But are you implying that a backup up to an extern HD and stored that offsite is not an option? My issue is with him calling people idiot for offering difference solutions and seem to think that only online backup is the ONE and ONLY one solution. :disgust:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Granted. But are you implying that a backup up to an extern HD and stored that offsite is not an option? My issue is with him calling people idiot for offering difference solutions and seem to think that only online backup is the ONE and ONLY one solution. :disgust:

no...physical offiste backup is perfectly fine. It all depends on how you want to do it and WHEN the backup needs to be done. External has limitations... like are you going to want to haul the external in and out every day? And what time do you back up that doens't interrupt the users? Hell we do off-site tape back up at work. Because it works fine for our situation.

It all depends on his application, which he did not specify.

If you want to do online backup and your volume is low, just open some web accoutn with lunarpages.com or similar and just use the space alloted to you to run a simple scripted FTP backup nightly (incremental) There are even simple and cheap programs that do this for you (HandyBackup)

Daniel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Online backup can be a great solution for some situations. I help support a small non-profit office, they barely use that much data, maybe 2 gigs at most. Awhile back I set them up with an old tape drive but no one would ever pull the tapes or take them offsite, it was overkill for them.
Eventually I just got their data, sync'd it to another drive and had it backup to an offsite service nightly. It's cheap, they don't have to do anything to make sure it keeps running, works out pretty well.