10c Difference Between Two 6850s

foodfightr

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2004
I have a HIS 6850 and a XFX 6850. Under load, no overclocking at 24c ambient temperature the XFX hits 72c but the HIS hits 82c. I've tried swapping the pci-e slots and aiming a case fan at the HIS card which didn't really help the temperature. For this reason I believe it's either: (a) a less efficient design or (b) the heatsink wasn't correctly mounted.

I'd like to attempt at least a modest overclock. I'm not sure "running hot" justifies an RMA but if I attempt to re-seat the heatsink it will probably void my warranty. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I have a HIS 6850 and a XFX 6850. Under load, no overclocking at 24c ambient temperature the XFX hits 72c but the HIS hits 82c. I've tried swapping the pci-e slots and aiming a case fan at the HIS card which didn't really help the temperature. For this reason I believe it's either: (a) a less efficient design or (b) the heatsink wasn't correctly mounted.

I'd like to attempt at least a modest overclock. I'm not sure "running hot" justifies an RMA but if I attempt to re-seat the heatsink it will probably void my warranty. What do you guys think?

You are talking about single card configurations and not crossfire, correct? If not, then the card with less airflow is always going to run hotter than normal when configured in a crossfire setup. But assuming you are talking about just having 1 card installed at a time, there could be several reasons for the big temperature difference.

1. Are both cards using the same heatsink and fan?
2. Are both cards using the same fan speed profile?

If yes to those, then other than replacing the TIM on the HIS (which could noticeably help reduce temps but not likely the 8-10 degree difference you are seeing), it sounds like the particular XFX board simply has a better 6850 chip than the HIS board.

foodfightr

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2004
You are talking about single card configurations and not crossfire, correct? If not, then the card with less airflow is always going to run hotter than normal when configured in a crossfire setup. But assuming you are talking about just having 1 card installed at a time, there could be several reasons for the big temperature difference.

1. Are both cards using the same heatsink and fan?
2. Are both cards using the same fan speed profile?

If yes to those, then other than replacing the TIM on the HIS (which could noticeably help reduce temps but not likely the 8-10 degree difference you are seeing), it sounds like the particular XFX board simply has a better 6850 chip than the HIS board.

Single card setup
1. Looks like different heatsink
2. Same fan speed profile

I tried replacing the TIM which didn't help. Do you think an aftermarket heatsink would bring the temps down?

Last edited:

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Single card setup
1. Looks like different heatsink
2. Same fan speed profile

I tried replacing the TIM which didn't help. Do you think an aftermarket heatsink would bring the temps down?

It would, but you're looking at spending around $60 for an aftermarket heatsink and fan for a video card. I think the combination for a better heatsink and chip on the XFX board is the reason for the temperature difference. IMO spending anymore than a few dollars to get the HIS temps down is not going to be worth it.

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
Those temps seem pretty reasonable. Both of my cards hit 72C just after a few minutes of 100% load (core clock rate is 850mhz). I wouldn't consider 10C difference to be worthy of an RMA. Some cards just have better cooling and some just run hotter.

You can adjust the fan mode if you like. Its not like because they are running hotter they will be running slower. Though it will obviously decrease your potential overclock - though this isn't a reason to RMA the card.