Question 10900k real world comparison to 3900k . Maybe, if I can buy one.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
First, I can't find one. I want to only pay what it was while in stock, $530 (or close). I will only buy from Amazon, newegg, bestbuy, or maybe some other place that I have forgotten about in the US.

Second, it will be cooled with a 240 mm AIO, as I have an Intel E5-2683v3 14 core running one of those, and all my 3900x's use 240 mm AIO's, so this will be a fair comparison.

NOW, If I find one, I want to hear from Intel advocates (and others are welcome) As to the best inexpensive (but must be equal to AMD that I have) motherboard to get a good real comparison. NO Overclocking. About $200-250 for the motherboard, thats what I spent on my AMD boards. The only x570 board I have is on my 3950x, so this will be 3900x on x470 vs 10900k on ????

So recommendations on where to find a CPU, and what motherboard will give a fair comparison to a 3900x. Again, this may not happen, if I can;t find a CPU. I am getting another Rome CPU soon, so money could be a problem.

Lastly, NO gaming benchmarks or comparisons, you camers can just read the reviews. I concede that the 10900k is the best gaming CPU by a few FPS if you are going for max FPS.

And my motivation for this project ? "put your money where your mouth is". I am going to TRY and do that here.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
@Markfw

Get one of the Asus boards that adhere to Intel spec. Do your research on "stock" behavior for that particular board.
Do you have a specific board to recommend ? I am still recovering, and my time is limited. Also, I want to be sure that whatever board it is, is OK, with those who support Intel, I don't want anyone dissing my results.

Thanks in advance. Oh, and if you have a lead on where I can buy one, let mew know. (PM might be the best for that)

Reactions: Drazick

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Just eyeballing Gamer's Nexus' video:

Looks like the Asus z490 Extreme holds to spec. For the low, low price of $750. I would say "gee, other Asus boards should behave the same way", except that the $400 Hero will let the CPU drop to 4.1 GHz or lower (while the Extreme stays at 4.3 GHz past 56s).

The good news is that it looks like boards like the Hero actually drop below Intel's limit of 125W for an unlimited time period. Which means you could probably buy one of the cheaper Asus boards and tweak the long-term power limits upward until your particular CPU hits 4.3 GHz sustained (which is about where it's supposed to sit). This would not be "overclocking". Note that software, guided by the motherboard's sensors, may claim to be using more than 125W under those conditions. It would appear as though the motherboard OEMs may be fudging a bit with the sensors. You would have to do direct measurements on the board itself (like what Gamer's Nexus did) to figure out exactly how much power is actually going to the CPU socket.

Alternatively, you could just buy one of the cheaper Asus z490 boards and let the board underclock/undervolt your CPU. Your choice. At that point it's just a matter of figuring out which of their boards have beefy-enough VRMs to handle a "stock" 10900k. Remember, for 56s, it has to push 250W.

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I'm slightly confused.

Ryzen 3900/3950 is better in every possible way other than gaming. WAY better if you're going to run it basically at stock and PL limited.

It's just a waste of money and time, and anyone who doesn't believe that Zen2 is superior is probably not worth arguing with.

🤷

Even for gaming the 10900k is in a weird spot, because cooling a 9900KS/10700K rig will result in better results overall with huge Noctua or AIO. And the scenario for even being able to see a difference requires a lot of particulars :

High refresh display
1440p
Mixed settings (eg; Ultra Textures, Max AF HBAO+ etc, but low AA, medium shadows, etc to reduce GPU bottleneck)
2080ti or Titan RTX

When Navi 20 and 3xxx cards come out this should open things up considerably, and 1440p gap will look more like 1080 does today, followed by 4k gap looking more like 1440p with 2080ti.

Needless to say, it's a niche inside a niche inside a niche to justify Intel 9th/10th gen desktop whatsoever (IMHO). I am in that weird Venn diagram, but I still like my 3700X rig (deprecated from 3900X, upgraded from from 2700X, still on X470) better for daily use. 5.3Ghz 9900KS is only for gaming.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Arkaign

Also, the two new competitors for Comet Lake arrive this year: Mattise refresh in ~10 days, and then Vermeer later this year. Whatever comparisons can be made between Matisse and Comet Lake at this very moment will be rendered somewhat obsolete by new data in the days to come.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I admire the passion the op has to this, i won't lie about the idea of getting a 10900k and putting my 3900x in the htpc to replace a 2500k. I would let it crunch 24/7. But i think of the end of the year stuff and just figured its better to wait. Who knows, the 4000 series may crush crush Intels offering too!

Honestly i would rather buy a 3900x if your not gaming, but i won't lie about the temptation. Good things come to those who wait, that is the only thing keeping me patient.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah Mark is good people (the best!) though I'm slightly confused by this lol 😅

It would make for an interesting project, but I think the results are predetermined. 3700/9900/10700 < 10900 < 3900 < 3950

Markfw

May 16, 2002

It would make for an interesting project, but I think the results are predetermined. 3700/9900/10700 < 10900 < 3900 < 3950
I agree completely. Its just there are people here that will not listen to reality. I have money to blow, and I am sure I would sell it for a small loss, but when I OWN it, and do MY benchmarks (F@H and others that stress it 24/7@100%) its hard to argue.

Besides, I am the CPU moderator, I have to own everything at least once :)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I want to see how an i9-9940X performs in a 24/7 environment, so don't forget to pick one of those up as well. :p

Edit:

Scratch that. I forget that Intel had released newer X299 CPUs, so get the i9-10980XE instead. ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tlh97 and qliveur

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018

I love tech enough that if i had the cash,i would be tempted to have a bit of fun with this idea as well. I got plenty for my hobby but to get every single absolute upgrade when it comes out would prob break me.

I am tempted honestly by the 3000 refresh more then a 10900k ,i may jump on a refreshed 3900x. Depends how good it is.

Edit: forgot there is no 3950x refresh, dang well waiting on reviews before i consider a 3900xt. Something tells me its not gonna be that big of a deal and i will just wait it out on this thing till 4000 series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Arkaign

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Not the i9-10980XE, it was launched in Q4 2019.

Plus, I read some post by [insert pro-Intel fan name here] say that it was much better than any of the current Threadrippers. :p
Except that the 3960x, 3970x and 3990x are so over powering, that nobody can dispute their dominance.

I should add to my comment. I don;t want to own any BAD CPUs. If they are controversial, then they might have a plus side.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Except that the 3960x, 3970x and 3990x are so over powering, that nobody can dispute their dominance.

Yup, Linus and them struggled to load the cores on that 7742. I thought that was great, well also that the newest Terminator was done on that too so Linus said. I love those movies, all but the one with Kyle Reese in it non stop. Ugh that one was bad lol.

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
@Markfw

You may wish to update your 3900X results with a 3900XT when possible. If that's in the budget.

I wonder if AMD has been saving up the best binned dies for the XT series, as a nice holdover until Zen3. If that's the case, it really might be worth grabbing one ASAP, as they might be more of an 'SE' situation than a permanent SKU. I mean it's impossible to say for sure of course, but it feels like the best CPUs for a while now, even before human malware, are worth preordering and getting when the opportunities arise, otherwise they can vanish quickly, or take a while to gather significant stock.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I wonder if AMD has been saving up the best binned dies for the XT series, as a nice holdover until Zen3. If that's the case, it really might be worth grabbing one ASAP, as they might be more of an 'SE' situation than a permanent SKU. I mean it's impossible to say for sure of course, but it feels like the best CPUs for a while now, even before human malware, are worth preordering and getting when the opportunities arise, otherwise they can vanish quickly, or take a while to gather significant stock.

It really depends on when AMD plans to actually release Vermeer. Also some people seem to think these dice are coming off N7P wafers. I have my doubts.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
I agree completely. Its just there are people here that will not listen to reality. I have money to blow, and I am sure I would sell it for a small loss, but when I OWN it, and do MY benchmarks (F@H and others that stress it 24/7@100%) its hard to argue.

So you think that people who are unconvinced of the points you expect to make/find, will all of a sudden be convinced because you have done some benchmarking?

What will be the difference between what you find and what heaps of other review sites have already found?

And if there won't be a difference, then what do you think you will achieve?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So you think that people who are unconvinced of the points you expect to make/find, will all of a sudden be convinced because you have done some benchmarking?

What will be the difference between what you find and what heaps of other review sites have already found?

And if there won't be a difference, then what do you think you will achieve?
The benchmarks focus on small computes, not hours. Way different thatn I do. They focus their wattage on the longer times. They focus temps on shar intervals, and they use BIOS, all over the place from Intel compliant to rogue. And they use $800 motherboards.

I want something that is not expensive, fair minded, and more long term, not this 56 second garbage. A real picture. Who knows, I could be surprised. If nothing else, a new toy to play with for a while.