1080ti SLI worth it?

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
I am currently trying to decide what components to buy for a high end gaming machine. I know I am going to get a 1080ti. Would sli be worth it to you?

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Depends on a lot of factors like, what monitor/s do you plan on using at what resolutions for what games.

Also, if you somehow have access to purchase 1080ti at reasonable prices now, DO IT simply because of the inflated costs from shortages.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Also, if you somehow have access to purchase 1080ti at reasonable prices now, DO IT simply because of the inflated costs from shortages.
This. If you can get them at MSRP, rather than "miner's prices", DO IT!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ricleo2,

you could have asked this in your other thread, but I would say no. If you want more power than a single GTX 1080ti, then you should move to a Titan Xp. Very few games really take advantage of SLI effectively anymore (just Google owners discussing if they thought it was worth it). Many times it's buggy or take a while for them add support.

Plus, at current prices you are going to pay dearly for two GTX 1080ti cards. Not to mention the heat and power draw of two of those together:

Wattage.jpg

HexiumVII

Dec 11, 2005
SLI almost never worth it. Most games scale very bad. Still waiting for VR which should give it the most efficient boost with 1card per eye. They still have not figured it out yet.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
ricleo2: I have a single GTX 1080TI and it is a BEAST of a card (see my sig for my 5060x rig). If you need 2 in SLI, I would ask what for?
My single 1080 TI is plenty for the games I play at 4k resolution on my Acer ET430k.

Now that prices are ABSURDLY high and availability is almost nil, I would settle for a single GTX 1080TI if you can get it near MSRP.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
SLI sucks, regardless of price or anything else. This is the first time I've had a single GPU since Nvidia started doing SLI. I was a die hard SLI guy, but SLI support fell apart almost completely. If you want to do some casual mining, it could pay to have two cards in your rig for that purpose. I would disable SLI for gaming though, lol.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
SLI is pretty much a waste of time. Just get 1 and overclock it. It's really fast so theres not many ways you can use it where it wont be fast enough

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
SLI is pretty much a waste of time. Just get 1 and overclock it. It's really fast so theres not many ways you can use it where it wont be fast enough

Yeah and I find that to be pretty puzzling to be honest. I've always needed two high end cards to deliver high framerates in the latest games, but now a single card does the job just fine, even at 3440x1440. Crazy. Maybe they did it on purpose to drive sales of dual GPU's but now since SLI sucks they give us the performance with a single card. That's my conspiracy theory anyway. Simple is boring so I make it complicated.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Wouldn't 2 Nvidia 1080ti's cost about $2,400 right now, thanks to crypto miners? I can't see that being worthwhile to anyone who doesn't have "F you" money in their bank account.

Noshido

Mar 21, 2018
My two cents on SLI is its value is relative. IF you have a high level of tech skills, and you want to game at high resolutions(3440x1440 or up) then it can be worth it. However, to effectively use all that power requires a lot of tweaking. Usually game by game. Some games will never work with Sli correctly. However, when it does work it is amazing. If your the type that enjoys doing performance tweaks then it is absolutely worth the money. You will need to understand how to use NV inspector and various other tweaking softwares. Overall if you have to ask, its more likely then not that your not an enthusiast who spends their time on this stuff, so it most likely is not for you. However, don't believe the people who run around saying Sli is dead. It's not. It's great if you can take advantage of it properly.