1080 GTX "Out of video memory trying to allocate..."

Phrozt

Mar 19, 2007
I've seen a handful of threads about this issue, but I have a few other oddities going on that I didn't see in other threads, and my system details are a bit different than others. To begin with:

CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.00 GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200
GPU:1080GTX
Display: 2x Dell S2716DG 27 @ 2560x1440 @ 120hz
Game drive: .... degraded RAID5 array...

As you can see, I have a significant amount more RAM at much faster speeds than most people who have this issue, and I'm not sure everyone runs a 64bit OS. Other than that, the problem starts out fairly standard - load up fortnite, start playing a game, and then it crashes out saying it ran out of video memory. But there are a few other twists.

- There are times that, when the video memory crashes out, other things on my comp do as well. It is most often firefox (I have 80+ tabs open all the time), or a FF plugin. Chrome has also crashed out (only about 12 tabs on that one)
- If watching youtube videos on the other monitor, they will crash out from time to time as well
- procexp64.exe and fornite do NOT work well together. If I have procexp running to begin with, fortnite freezes up. If I start fortnite and then try to run procexp, procexp just says, "nope" and doesn't even start. I managed to get both running a few times, and every time fortnite dies, so does procexp.
- It seems that other games are also hanging/having graphics issues where they were not before, though these games are not on the degraded array, but rather on a singular SSD.
- I constantly have a multitude of programs open and running, but this has never really been a problem.
- I never restart/shutdown/hibernate my comp unless I have to. I've had 40-60+ day uptimes.

Now, there may be some clear red flags here, but let me also add that I've been playing/watching this way for hundreds of hours over the course of 2018, and I've been playing other games and watching videos on this system for about 2 years now. So far, fortnite is the only one that completely crashes out on me. I play other graphic intensive games like Dark and Light, PUBG, Warframe, Overwatch, and then other non-intensive games like CS:GO, HOTS, and D3, and these don't seem to have any issues, except HOTS. If I have a video on the other screen, the video part will lock up while HOTS is loading things, though the audio remains steady.

While there's good argument to suggest that there may be hardware issues here, a restart will pretty much set things back to stable for several days, which suggests that it could also be some type of software issue. I have force quit apps hoping to free up whatever memory/resource snags there might be, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem... only a restart does. Also, I've done everything listed above for years now, and I've done the same thing on previous PCs, so this isn't a, "hey, I just built this rig and it doesn't do what I want it to!" type of situation.

I know there's a lot to digest here, but I'd be more than happy to take any diagnostics necessary to shine more light on the subject.

I appreciate your help!

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Fortnite is technically still a game in beta / early access despite its popularity. It also crashes on my wife's PC but not on mine until we turned down a couple settings it didn't like.

Phrozt

Mar 19, 2007
Very true, but I do notice the graphics having a harder time in other games the longer the uptime is, as well as the interactions w/flash and other browser plugins when graphics are taxed. HOTS has been released for a LONG time and it's having trouble w/that one now.

Phrozt

Mar 19, 2007
Yeah, dwm is crashing out. It's like somewhere resources are being hung onto and causing issues. I can't imagine a 1080GTX doesn't have enough bandwidth to play a game on one monitor and watch videos on the other.. especially since I've been doing it for years now.

Phrozt

Mar 19, 2007
Any help with this would be appreciated... These crashes are getting really annoying.