100 most anticipated games of 2009

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I don't see Dragon Age in that list? Hard to believe a game made by Bioware that is basically Baldurs Gate 3 minus the licence is not in the Top 100?

That's my most looked forward to game.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
the FF games seem to be getting progressively worse game-play wise as the graphics get better.

Definitely agreed. I will still probably buy FFXIII, but I haven't played one for more than 15 minutes since FFX.

Oh and I'm not excited about Diablo III after playing it at Blizzcon. Barbarian is a horrible class to play :(. But after a couple minutes, I wanted to stop playing. It certainly doesn't help coming back from WoW where I press multitudes more buttons (and that the keys were mapped horribly at Blizzcon... '1' didn't even map to the first button on the bar :eek:).

StarCraft II beta should be out sometime soon (I hope).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Originally posted by: loki8481
the FF games seem to be getting progressively worse game-play wise as the graphics get better.

Definitely agreed. I will still probably buy FFXIII, but I haven't played one for more than 15 minutes since FFX.

Oh and I'm not excited about Diablo III after playing it at Blizzcon. Barbarian is a horrible class to play :(. But after a couple minutes, I wanted to stop playing. It certainly doesn't help coming back from WoW where I press multitudes more buttons (and that the keys were mapped horribly at Blizzcon... '1' didn't even map to the first button on the bar :eek:).

StarCraft II beta should be out sometime soon (I hope).
I agree about Final Fantasy.
6 was great and even though 7 was pretty good it seems that they lost a little something when they made the move to 3D gameplay and assloads of video clips.
8 had rotten gameplay (I dont like the idea of monsters leveling up). 9 was OK.
X was aweful and X-2 not much better. 11 is online and I hate MMO's.
12 was neat but not enough to save it.
At this point I'd rather see a remake of 7, but it looks like that isnt actually goint to happen. It was just a teaser video to show how much things have improved between the generations of hardware.
13 had better have fantastic gameplay. But I suspect they will put more effort into graphics.

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
AION

The Sims 3

maybe Supreme Commander 2...

nothing else... i think... unless i found out is good...

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I think they made a mistake listing Velvet Assassin as a PS3,360 game, when every place else I've seen it listed a PC,360.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: TehMac

Company of Heroes 2 -- Enough said, it can be World War 2, but perhaps a Cold War setting would be kewl as well. My guess is World War 2 with the Japanese and Russians--and possibly the Australians!

Agreed... and Relic is the only developer who could pull that off. If Treyarch, for instance, follows in 2010 with Call of Duty 7: Shit Storm at the SS, they'll lose the last ounce of credibility they have.

Relic, on the other hand, has something very special in CoH, and it's evident in how long CoH has lasted. Hell, I refuse to sell my gaming PC simply so I can keep playing a game that came out 3 years ago! It's used for nothing else. It's my CoH box.

Aside from Relic's keen RTS dev skills, I don't think CoH's format would translate well to modern era combat without a significant overhaul. The relationship between the engine, the format, and WWII is the RTS trifecta. It works, and it wouldn't work as well any other way.

On that note, CoH 2 would be very, very welcomed by myself and many others. And it *needs* to be WWII (never thought I'd say that after the eleventy-ith release of Medal of Honor).

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: jbourne77
Originally posted by: TehMac

Company of Heroes 2 -- Enough said, it can be World War 2, but perhaps a Cold War setting would be kewl as well. My guess is World War 2 with the Japanese and Russians--and possibly the Australians!

Agreed... and Relic is the only developer who could pull that off. If Treyarch, for instance, follows in 2010 with Call of Duty 7: Shit Storm at the SS, they'll lose the last ounce of credibility they have.

Relic, on the other hand, has something very special in CoH, and it's evident in how long CoH has lasted. Hell, I refuse to sell my gaming PC simply so I can keep playing a game that came out 3 years ago! It's used for nothing else. It's my CoH box.

Aside from Relic's keen RTS dev skills, I don't think CoH's format would translate well to modern era combat without a significant overhaul. The relationship between the engine, the format, and WWII is the RTS trifecta. It works, and it wouldn't work as well any other way.

On that note, CoH 2 would be very, very welcomed by myself and many others. And it *needs* to be WWII (never thought I'd say that after the eleventy-ith release of Medal of Honor).

Yeah totally. Maybe they are saving the russians for CoH 2, so that there is somthing new other than a new engine.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Eeezee
Do we really need a list of 100? I'm only anticipating a handful

Starcraft 2 (hopefully)
Dawn of War 2
Empire Total War
HL2 Episode 3?

yeah but a list of 100 makes them look like they are actually working instead of just listing a random 100 games?

DOW2 comes out soon :thumbsup:

HL2 e3 would be bad ass

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
Seeing SC2 beta is confirmed to be this year, retail release for 2009 is highly possible.

Dec 10, 2005
The only game I care about is SC2. I don't really play games anymore, either due to lack of time, lack of interest, want to spend money on other entertainment, or just lack of hardware (have a midrange graphics card from 2006 in a laptop).

I was going to pick up playing FEAR again in my spare time as soon as the discs I had come in the mail (left them at home :(), but I don't think I'll be picking up the sequels of the game.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
I would agree with the sentiment that this year isn't necessarily going to be a standout one for PC games. Dawn of War II and SC2 are the only PC titles on that list that I will definitely be purchasing when they are released, and most of the titles I'm interested in for consoles are simply sequels (FF13) or won't come out this year (God of War 3, Alan Wake).