100 most anticipated games of 2009

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
I have a feeling that Duke Nukem may show up knocking at the 2009 door.

I might have a little inside info to back that up, or maybe I dont. :)

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
This year seems "regular" to me, nothing that much appealing other than Empire: Total War, Dawn of War II and, possibly, StarCraft II, clearly I don't have to be rich for gaming this year. I think I'll spend most of 2009's gaming time I'll have playing Fallout 3's various mods and DLC's along with the games I already have and love.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
The only game worth mentioning is diablo 3, and that likely wont be out this year. So pretty much gonna keep playing old games til then.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Tales of Valor is also on my list, as well as Diablo 3.

Games I'd like to see Announced/Possibly Released in 2009
Age of Empires 4 -- Set in the Ancient World, come on MS
Battlefield 3 -- more modern warfare, destruct environments, etc. I want it.
Company of Heroes 2 -- Enough said, it can be World War 2, but perhaps a Cold War setting would be kewl as well. My guess is World War 2 with the Japanese and Russians--and possibly the Australians!
Tilted Mill's (devs of Children of the Nile, Caesar 4) new city building game, preferably in China
Next Total War game - any setting sounds good, I'm thinking China, Dark Age Europe, or Bronze-Classic Age Greece

Although tbh, 2009 is the year of recession, so I don't know if we're actually going to see much new gaming other than what's announced.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Maximilian
Pfft 100 most anticipated... whatever. Its the 10 most anticipated with 90 more games being released in 2009 that noone cares about.

Starcraft II should be number 1.

The reason there's 100 is because they intelligently realise that not everyone believes you are the master of the list that controls what should be on the list and what shouldn't.

I for one couldn't really care less that Startcraft II is coming out. Never really dug number one, not getting all woozy in the head for number 2.

conlan

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Black Mesa Source

Battlefield 3 (or whatever they'll call it)

Doubt we see either in 2009. :(

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I find it interesting that they're top 100 list is full of crappy franchises going down the tubes and plenty of other games that will obviously suck.
But as we've heard before a hundred times: "you cant put gameplay on a box cover".

Deus Ex 3 is the only one I am actually enthusiastic about. Everything else is BAARRFFFF!
Or just not exciting. I hope the Aliens game is good but I wont lose sleep over it.
I loved Mass Effect for the story, not the gameplay. I hope both are improved for Mass Effect 2. But that seems unlikely. Graphics will probably be their #1 priority, because graphics sell.
The new Ref Faction game might be fun, it might also be the death of the series if recent history is any indication.
Dawn of War 2 I am definitely interested in provided it doesnt suck.
FEAR 2 is on my list of hopefuls but thats another one I am afraid they will ruin. Ditto for Wolfenstein.
Demigod looks interesting and has potential.

You guys are gonna hate me for raining on your joy but, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT 2009.
Its the exact same story as every other year. We get a big list of stuff thats supposed to come out.
A huge chunk will never see the light of day. Most of the rest will be delayed until next year.
Of the tiny bit left, most of those titles will be either major disappointments or just plain stink (depending on how much hope you had).
On a list of 100, only 1,2, or 3 of them has a shot at being truly interesting experiences.
Not even original, just fun.

EDIT:

OH CRAP! :Q
Dawn of War 2 is supposed to be out Feb 23!
Good news finally.
Also Sims 3 is out soon. I never got into the series but I might start with this one. If this has lingerie packs with thousands of items and the ability to make chicks with E cups I may look into it.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmm, MafiaII and Punchout would be my top two. GoW3, RE5 and SFIV and somewhat hesitantly GT5. Rage looks like it could be pretty cool, but rarely do you see someone enter that genre and do it decently(you either start there and then move on, or suck horribly for some reason). Would have been all pumped for SC2, but let's face it, Blizzard has been on a roll with sucking for a few years now, seems like they couldn't balance the gameplay mechanics of Pong with what they have been doing lately :(

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Anubis
FF13 NOT coming in 2009 unless you live in Japan

Text

Square Enix also plans to launch the next version of "Final Fantasy" in 2009 in Japan, further strengthening its product lineup.
Overseas launches of the latest "Final Fantasy" game will come in the business year from April 2010 or later, Wada said.
Square Enix will offer the latest version, "Final Fantasy XIII", for both Sony Corp's PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp's Xbox 360 in North America and Europe, and exclusively for the PS3 in Japan.

now i hate you for bringing this news to me.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
1. FF XIII
2. StarCraft II
3. Halflife 2 Ep. 3
4. Gran Turismo 5
5. Street Fighter IV

Can't wait!

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Resident Evil 5
SF4
Alan Wake
HL2 Ep3
Deus Ex 3
Wii Punch out (maybe the Wii will finally have a good game?)
Mafia 2

It is really hard to say until alot of these get reviewed. Some seem like thye might be good games but with so little info, not getting my hopes up.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Zenoth
I wouldn't hold my breath for DoW2 in February.

I can only assume your eyes jumped straight down to the emoticon and you didnt read anything else. I may have to remove it.

I'm not holding my breath for ANYTHING.
If none of these games ever came out and I never bought another PC game in my life it wouldnt matter much.
I expect to never see most of them at all. The ones I do see will be garbage.
If one in a thousand turns out to be mildly entertaining I will be shocked.
But it wont be enough to turn me around from my gaming slump.

Also, I must be the only PC gamer who isnt squeezing his gonads in anticipation of StarCraft 2. I dont know why. I liked the first one.
Perhaps its because I dont believe Starcraft was the 2nd coming of the Messiah. It was just a darn fun game that was also popular.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: shortylickens

I can only assume your eyes jumped straight down to the emoticon and you didnt read anything else. I may have to remove it.

If none of these games ever came out and I never bought another PC game in my life it wouldnt matter much.

Also, I must be the only PC gamer who isnt squeezing his gonads in anticipation of StarCraft 2. I dont know why. I liked the first one.
Perhaps its because I dont believe Starcraft was the 2nd coming of the Messiah. It was just a darn fun game that was also popular.

Wow, go read a book and stop pretending to like PC games anymore, because that is what you are doing. Peoples tastes change over time, its perfectly fine. You don't have to explain yourself to us.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
You guys are gonna hate me for raining on your joy but, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT 2009.

It is the year starcraft II is released, the year the story of the terran dominion, zerg and protoss is continued, the year that we will be able to backstab eachother in new and exciting ways with our favourite races and create amazing UMS maps that will make dota look like crap. Its been 10 long years since starcraft I.

Its a very special year indeed. If nothing else came out that year at all, it would still be one of the best years for gaming.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy

Wow, go read a book and stop pretending to like PC games anymore, because that is what you are doing. Peoples tastes change over time, its perfectly fine. You don't have to explain yourself to us.
If you dont want explanations why are you a member of an online forum?

Is this just a place for you to practice your typing?

If you dont want communication and interaction with other humans why dont YOU go read a book?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
the FF games seem to be getting progressively worse game-play wise as the graphics get better.